Author Topic: cat litter  (Read 868 times)

Offline buckenbass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cat litter
« on: December 28, 2004, 11:53:01 AM »
Cat litter ..I bet your confused and wondering how and this has to with guns..Well me to but I was buying cat litter the other day and  a newer product caught my eye.. they now have a additive you can put in your cats litter that absorbs moisture AND odor ...Well I thought to myself those crystals look, familiar so I looked st the ingredients well all it is was Silica gel the same stuff I use in my gun safe and paid $18+shipping  for about 16oz in a little box that i have to cook once a month...The only difference I see is this stuff is made to be disposed because the cat pisses on it and it has deodorizing crystals in it..also your paying 4-6$ for 6-4pounds ...
                      .Well I have a question is all silica gel the same.
If it is then can you bake this cat litter product and reuse it (obvious not after the cat has used it) but if you fill a pair of old socks leave it the safe for a month then dump in the trash or put in another bucket and do this for a year and bake bake the whole 4lbs at once when it is all used up..even if you cant reheat and reuse this stuff its cheep enough and in a bulk jug that one jug should keep the average size safe dry for a whole year and no running the stove for 3+ hours to dry ..
I bought both kinds today and am currently testing it to see how good it works  (a piece a bread in a ziplock bag to see how fast dries it out and how many slices it can dry then can i bake it and reuse it..)
I have too much time on my hands..
I have yet been able to shoot a 3 shot sub 1" group at 100 yards ...........on any deer!!!!!!

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
cat litter
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 10:03:13 AM »
Try weighing a load with a powder scale, and then bake it dry at 250 for a few hours, and weigh it again. the difference in the weight will tell you how much water it lost. You might want to leave it exposed to the air to load up on moisture before you weigh it, as it won't lose any if it's already dry. I'm using a brand called Pearls or something like that. I baked it and put it in some metal cans at the top of my gun safe, with a 'goldenrod' heater at the bottom of the safe. Another thing that will absorb moisture is regular drywall board. I cut rectangles that will fit in the top of an ammo can and then wiegh them, then I write the weight on the top before I bake them. I do them at about 250 for three hours. I'm hoping it will keep my ammo boxes and the boxed ammo inside dry. So far so good. Check the moisture content of the drywall occasionally by weighing them. Has anyone else used this? BTW don't burn the drywall or it will stop absorbing moisture. If you overheat it, it will get crumbly and discolored.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: cat litter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 01:45:55 AM »
Quote from: buckenbass
is all silica gel the same. If it is then can you bake this cat litter product and reuse it (not after the cat has used it)
:shock:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :shock:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
cat litter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 02:20:10 AM »
:eek: This is very scientific. :o
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
If the cat litter doesn't work
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 03:26:22 AM »
You can buy silica crystals fairly cheaply at Wal-Mart.  I guess people use them to dry flowers, so Wal-Mart has cans of the crystals back in the crafts department next to the fabrics.  The can even has directions on how to properly bake the silica to dry it out.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Dali Llama

Re: If the cat litter doesn't work
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 04:12:18 AM »
Quote from: bpjon
Wal-Mart has cans of the crystals back in the crafts department next to the fabrics.  
Do that be on Aisle 7, just to left of Automotive and to the right of Electronics, ask Dali Llama? :-D  :)  :-D  :D

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
cat litter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 04:47:19 AM »
It be where the blue light is flashing.  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

cat litter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 02:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
It be where the blue light is flashing.  
:-D  :)  :grin:  :D

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
OK, OK
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 02:35:14 PM »
Maybe I am assuming too much, but all the Wally-worlds up here in MN (at least those I've been in) are laid out along common lines.  And actually yes, Dali, it usually is next to automotive.  Go figure. :wink:
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Dali Llama

Re: OK, OK
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 01:52:28 AM »
Quote from: bpjon
actually yes, Dali, it usually is next to automotive.  :wink:
:grin:  :wink:  :D