Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 553 times)

Offline blackpowder man 0106

• Trade Count: (0)
Rabbits
« on: December 29, 2004, 01:57:25 PM »
How many of you guys are going for bunnies this winter? Just wondering how many of you guys hunt rabbits. I'm going for snowshoe hares and cottontails with my semi auto rem. 20 gauge and topper jr model (small gun, but light) 20 gauge over my grandfather's new beagle. What kind of rabbits you hunting- cottontails, snowshoes? Can't wait to get out for em, just got 8 inches of snow, expecting more on friday... heading out sunday most likely for em!

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 03:35:58 PM »
I am a rabbit hunter. I've been following dogs after cottontails for many years. I like using a 20ga Pardner youth, cause the shorter buttstock makes it much easier to mount the gun in heavy clothing. Like I said, we have cottontails here in Ky, with swamp rabbits in some areas. These are similar to cottontails but are a lot bigger. Where cottontails run in a circle and eventually will come back to where they were jumped if dogs are on their trail, the swamp rabbit is just as likely to run straight away or go swiming to elude the dogs. And don't let anyone tell you that a cottontail won't take to the water if pushed. They will. Hope you have a good season.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Rabbits
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 03:47:57 PM »
I almost busted a bunny today but had to let it go because my wife was with me. It popped out and I was on it and remembered just before I pulled the trigger that my wife was right next to me. She don't do the huntin thing. I haven't hunted with beagles for a long time but when I was a teenager I used to do it all the time. An old guys that hunted our property had some great dogs. He used an ancient 16ga H&R. My favorite gun for this kind of hunting is an old 20ga deluxe model topper. The nice things about this gun are 28" barrel and recoil pad. I had one when I was a kid and recently picked up another one. Great little rabbit gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline blackdirt beagles

• Blackdirt Kennels
Rabbits
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 04:36:55 PM »
i do A LOT of rabbit hunting with my beagles. one of my favorite guns is my H&R 058 in .410   ive got countless rabbits with that thing.
Blackdirt Kennels

Brian Joiner

815-303-2569- anytime

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
Rabbits
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 04:49:47 AM »
Bunny hunting is how I got into these guns for small game. Those repeaters are just too heavy to tote around all day with beagles.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
Rabbits
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 05:12:01 AM »
Cottontails mostly, we do a trip up north to hunt snowshoes around Gaylord at least once a winter.  A friend of mine has a nice bunch of beagles that a joy to hunt with.  I use my 28 ga Pardner for bunnies or a Ruger 10/22.  Deer season will be over this weekend so next weekend will be time to start trailin' bunnies!