Author Topic: Deer Season Report--Edited/Picture Added  (Read 1011 times)

Offline HuntenNut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Deer Season Report--Edited/Picture Added
« on: December 30, 2004, 04:19:41 AM »
Greetings all,

I took some time off from the boards due to deer season and after that the holidays. I'm back to it now, although we're now into the rabbits, but that doesn't take up as much time as deer season.

The season was a bit slower this year for bucks, but was fun as usual, with  a good number of antlerless deer spotted.

Some may recall that I separated my shoulder in October, and missed most of the bow season. I was able to rehab myself to the point that with a reduced draw weight, I was able to hunt the last weekend before the opeing day of shotgun.

For the last few years, I have taken to doing a backpack hunt for opening day in order to beat the crowds on Michigan State Land. This year, with the shoulder injury, I was unsure about the prospect, so I invested in one of those "game carts" to haul in my gear--Cabelas "magnum game cart", highly recommended if you're in the market. Boy, I may never use a pack again. I  was able to comfortably haul all my gear, and actually able to carry a bit larger and more comfortable tent than I would normally carry in a pack. The cart hopped right over most logs and other obstacles with a minimum of effort.

I went in on Friday, November 12th, bowhunted 13th and 14th, and then shotgun Nov15th through 19th, came home on the 19th. That's 7 nights in the woods.

The rut didn't seem very good this year, with a few bucks seen during the bowhunts, none close enough for a shot untill Sunday morning. I normally try to sit on stand untill noon during the rut, and then a short lunch break, and back to it. Sunday, I made the mistake of getting down 15min early at 11:45am. It was very cold, and my butt was getting sore from the little seat on the tree. "Its ALMOST noon, what difference could 15 minutes make?" I asked myself.  No sooner had I hit the ground, when I heard deer running in my direction. I looked up to see a doe just 15yds away looking right at me. I froze, but she had already spotted me, and my bow was hanging from the string that I use to lower it from my tree stand. Moments later, a nice 10pt buck came barrelling up behind her. He was oblivious to my presence as he concentrated on the doe. She turned and ran back towards where they came from, and he followed.

Lesson Number 1 for this year (and I have learned this one in the past, believe me, but every year, seem to forget it). When the ruts on, stay in your stand as long as possible, deer could be moving at any  time of day.

No more confirmed bucks would be seen the rest of the week.

I woke up early on opening morning of shotgun, and ate my usual breakfast of freeze dried eggs and sausage patties with a cup of coffee. I grabbed the new Tracker II 12ga which was proudly wearing its Bushnell Elite 1.5-4.5x32. I headed to my deadfall blind (perfect box created by 2 trees that fell in opposite directions but side by side) which was in the middle of a narrow ridge. I saw many deer running the ridge and the next ridge over on opening morning, none that I could tell to be bucks, and no does that I cared to take. I try not to shoot a doe until afternoon on opening day. I chuckled to myself everytime I heard a 5 shot salvo ring out from the distance, thinking of the guy with his semi-auto or pump, emptying it out and still not getting his deer. I proudly admired the Tracker II and just knew that should the opportunity arise, that one Lightfield slug in the chamber would be all  I needed.

Noon came and I gobbled up my lunch of beef jerky, and stayed put in the blind. A button buck came along about 1pm, licking branches as he "practiced" being next years mating buck. He had to jump over the trees that made up my box blind as he came within 15ft of my position. I watched him and took great enjoyment as I always do when I am that close to a deer of anysize.

About 15 minute later, a very nice sized doe came along the same route. I crouched down in my blind to see if a buck might be following her. I doubted it, as all the gunfire from the morning had probably quelled most of the rutting activity. She meandered along very nervously and appeared to be a very mature doe, with a very long muzzle and nice sized body. After it became apparent that no buck was behind her, I decided to take the doe when the moment was right. She followed the same path as the button buck, and hopped over the trees. Not wanting her to detect my movement, I remained motionless in my blind until she was on the other side of me and heading away. I pulled the Tracker II to my shoulder and looked at her through the scope which was set at 1.5 power. The cross hairs settled just behind her shoulder and BAM. She jumped about 10ft straight up in the air and kicked out her back feet. When she came down, she gave one more kick from those powerful hinds, and that sent her all the way down the ridge which is pretty steep at that point, and a good 50yds distance. I could see her laying in the dry creek bed at the bottom of the ridge, and through my binoculars, she appeared to be motionless. I reloaded and went down to examine her. She was definitely out, so I ejected the other shell and began the field dressing ritual. Less than an hour later, she was hanging in  tree next to my tent camp thanks to the cart. She was later aged by DNR biologist at 4.5years old.

That night at about 1am, I awoke to the sound of a mature buck circling and grunting around my tent. I bet he was smelling my doe hanging in the tree. He hung out for a good 15 minutes, and was litterally right outside my tent. It was very exciting. He was making a very longwinded continuous grunt, that I have never heard before except for on hunting videos.

No bucks were spotted during the remaining shotgun season, nor on my subsequent trip "Up North" to the rifle zone where I hunt with my Ruger 44 Deerstalker Carbine.

During Muzzleloading season, I kicked up 1 buck while still hunting, but was unable to get a shot at him.

All in all, a poor season for buck sightings, but a successful one with venison now in the freezer, processed by my own hand. A very satisfying feeling.

Offline BoneDigger

Nice...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:27:00 AM »
Very nice story.  Thanks for sharing that with us!

Todd

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 06:14:52 AM »
Congratulations HuntenNut!

Really enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing with us.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 12:34:04 AM »
HunteNut, just wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your hunting report! I was able to picture your entire trip out!
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 02:07:32 AM »
Pictures... We need pictures!!   :lol:
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 02:10:02 AM »
Great report HuntenNut.  Sounds like you had an enjoyable season.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 02:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the great report Huntennut, I felt as if I were there. Looks as if that scope mounted 12 gauge Tracker II came through for you....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 02:47:43 PM »
I have some pictures, but I have to figure out how to get them up. My home computer is ill, and needs re-booting, and I'm using my work computer to get at the boards, but can't put pictures through it. I'll try to make that a project for this weekend.

MSP, yes the scope was very nice, although given the time of day and closeness of the shot, it was far from needed. If you run into Ed, please tell him one of the guns he did for me now has a notch in the stock. Hopefully the Turkey barrel will get one in the spring :grin:

Speaking of the scope, though, I can't get over how great the FOV is on that Bushnell Elite set at 1.5. If I had a rifle scope on that gun, I think it would have made the shot hard to place at that close range. If I need to shoot furhter, I can still crank it up to 4.5.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
OK Huntenut, Will do. I should get over to see him soon to have a barrel recrowned and say hello anyway....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:37:53 PM »
Picture of deer camp, with deer hanging. This is about 3 miles from nearest road parking "Somewhere" on Michigan State Land.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=243902

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »
What a great story and great picture.  I've always thought 8)  about doing that but hunting on private land has me pretty spoiled.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »
I don't know weather I'm spoiled or deprived. I think it's a little of both I hunt private land the I can drive to after or before work. I've never combined hunting with camping.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
Well, guys, I am relatively newcomer to Michigan, and don't have many ties, and therefore access to private lands. I have always hunted the state lands.

I got into the pack in hunting as a way to "beat the crowds" on opening day. I have been doing it for several years now, as a solo expedition. It is really quite a spiritual experience being out alone in the woods for several days to a week at a time.

I will always remember the goose bumps I got when I heard the gutteral grunting of the buck outside my tent in the middle of the night. And several years back on my first outing, I had deer walking past my tent through the night. Thought I was dreaming, but we had snow that night and tracks proved they walked within 3 feet of my tent with me in it. really cool stuff like that. You seem to saver your surroundings more when you're by yourself. Its also nice to be out for a week on state land and not even see another hunter.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2005, 06:20:46 PM »
:toast:
where you from in Michigan huntenNut?

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 01:27:26 AM »
Jeff223,

I live in Algonac.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 09:33:46 AM »
where is that in Michigan?UP? northern lower?where?

i live between Grand Rapids and Lansing

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 12:44:50 PM »
Its kinda between Detroit and Port Huron, on St Clair River, just North of Lake St Clair.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 05:17:23 PM »
OK i know where that is.i just wondered :grin: there are a bunch of Michigan guys here

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 06:26:37 PM »
Jeff where do you live?  I live kind of between Gr and Lansing too.