Author Topic: Forearm and barrel question  (Read 620 times)

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Forearm and barrel question
« on: December 30, 2004, 04:51:43 AM »
I took out my handi rifle 243 and tried to break in the barrel and sight-in.  I lost a couple of shots(I thought maybe flyers do to the new barrel or fouling).  I only fired about 25 rounds total.  When I stopped I had about 1 1/2 inch group.  I noticed my forearm was touching the barrel on oneside.  I took of the fore end and noticed the the lug on the barrel that bolts onto the fore end is not square, it is at a angle(crooked) where it goes into fore end.  Should I worry about this?  Would this cause flyers?  I am going shoot this weekend a little more.  Please give your opinion

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 04:59:38 AM »
Yes, that is a proble for accuracy. The uneven pressure on the forearm will cause shots to be thrown off to the side. Perhaps a trip to H&R is in order for the barrel. If it is a new gun hopefully the dealer will replace it and eal with H&R so you can get shooting sooner. If you are going to deal with H&R direct and it is a new gun call H&R and ask for a "call tag" to save you postage. The should fix that on a new gun for free. If it is just off a couple of thousandts you might be able to just relieve (sand) the pressure point off the forearm. Good Luck....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 04:59:43 AM »
In all likelyhood...yes...this will cause flyers...but...if you have a 1-1/2" group with 25 shots...you might have shot thru one of the exsisting holes in the group...and you didn't say if this was at 100 yards or not...I've gotten forearms where the barrel lug hasn't been cut perfectly square before..but since I use the o-ring trick...it aligns in that recessed cut out...and if you need to...get a wood dowl...3/4" or 1" and wrap some sand paper around it...and thin the wood on the sides of the forearm...that will help

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline deerman12

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 05:16:16 AM »
Yes sir, it was 100 yards.  This lug looks like some took a ginder to oneside.  I just talked to lady at H&R.  She they would send a call tag, now I guess the waiting starts.  She said that they would not send a call tag till after the Jan 5th.  I am glad hunting season is over and I have other stuff to shoot.  Thanks for you guys replys.  Have a happy new year.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 06:50:35 AM »
Excellent...glad someone from the company was there to take your call...and will help getting the problem resolved...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 07:09:59 AM »
Send it back and ask for a trigger job while your at it.It won,t take as long as you think to get it back.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline deerman12

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 11:29:15 AM »
Believe it or not the trigger is great (2 3/4 pounds, not creep).  But, I hope it does not  take forever.

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 11:33:15 AM »
Sending it back after an 1 1/2" 25 shot group? WOW htese guns do shoot! :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 11:33:56 AM »
If you send it off right away, it should get there about the time they open back up after the holiday closure.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline deerman12

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 11:56:44 AM »
I need to clarify a little.  I put 25 rounds through the gun, shooting 3-4 shot groups.  My best group at the end of the session was about 1 1/2 inches.  As I mentioned, some shots went who knows where?  This is what made me start looking for a problem.