Author Topic: TURKEY/DEER SIGHTS FOR TOPPER DELUXE CLASSIC  (Read 1827 times)

Offline JRSR126

• Trade Count: (0)
TURKEY/DEER SIGHTS FOR TOPPER DELUXE CLASSIC
« on: December 30, 2004, 07:21:54 PM »
Was looking at getting a rear and front sights for my TDC. Something to mount on the ventilated rib.  Would use them for turkey (up to 50 yds) and deer (up to 75 yds). However, I want to also use the gun for small game so at least the rear sight would need to be removable without damaging the gun. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
TURKEY/DEER SIGHTS FOR TOPPER DELUXE CLASSI
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 08:01:44 PM »
the tru-glos clamp on with two allen heads.
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »
The Williams Universal "Slugger" Fire Sights are the best ones that I know of, here is a picture but shop around for a better price. These mount on any width ventilated rib shotgun and are made of aluminum instead of plastic like most others.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16144

Here is a better price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/671251

BEST PRICE!!!!!!

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?contentID=productList&category=13&brand=WU&mfgGroup=253&subgroup=2369&CFID=1295667&CFTOKEN=60037891

Here is another but these are not universal. What is the width of the Topper Deluxe Classic ventilated rib? These say they are 5/16".

http://www.shootnhunt.com/williams_slugger_fire_sight_set.html

These could keep you busy for awhile.

http://www.search.com/search?tag=se.fd.box.main.search&q=Williams+Universal+%22Slugger%22+Fire+Sights
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 01:35:58 AM »
Very good question, great answer! Thanks! Woodbutcher

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I ordered the Williams universal slugger sights from Midway.  For some reason, Nachez will not ship to Georgia and some other states. Everybody sure gets you on the shipping/handling charges. A close second was the TRUGLO Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot Sight which looked pretty durable (Cabelas has them but maybe not at the best price). Will probably leave the sights on when I hunt bunnies and learn to compensate my aim.  Both these sights sit allot higher than the majority of the truglo and High Viz rear notched sight and bead combinations. Some post said that the high front bead site throws off your aim when you point shoot. Sounds like a pain to take them off if I am doing small game hunting during deer season. Good reason to order the TDC in 20 gauge when it comes out and dedicate the 12 gauge to turkey and deer.

Other sights I found that looked interesting was the Tri Viz sight and the Ring of Fire aperture sight but these appeared flimsy and ugly to me. There were fans of these sights that said they worked. I wonder if they work better for dual purpose use of small game vrs deer/turkey. I was concerned they would not hold up.

I was concerned most with the point of aim shifting during handling and the site adjustability so that is why I went with the Williams. The mounting looks very secure. Besides this thread, I found several good discussions on shotgun sights on the National Turkey Federation Website. Allot of people on that website liked the Williams although there were satisfied users of other products. Note that the rib on the TDC is not very magnetic so you have to go with clamp on, adhesive or snap on.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I have made several purchases and made several gun modifications due to this website. Keep it coming.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 06:22:34 PM »
JRSR126,

I think you made the right choice for a rugged setup the williams are hard to beat. How wide is the TDC ventilated rib anyways? I am waiting for the 20ga to come out before I make my decision. One thing for certain, you will have a long sighting plane with the TDC, the rearmost vent in the rib is alot closer to the eye. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005, 08:05:23 AM »
Busta,  

I measured 5/16" for the width of the TDC ventilated rib  using a plain ruler. I am really enjoying customizing this gun. Just too good looking for the price. That 20 gauge TDC will be real nice and a good seller. I will let the forum know how the next trip to the range goes. I plan to try both slugs and turkey loads. I have several different chokes to try. Also  have a box of  Hevi Shot to try.

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:15:46 AM »
Installed the Williams Slugger sight on the TDC. Had problem with one clip not threaded. Williams sent me replacement parts with no hassle. Midway USA also quickly responded and offered to replace the sight. Both good companies. Sight is very rugged but hard to install if you  have fat fingers like me. I consider it more permanent and feel if you keep removing and replacing it, you will damage finish and maybe strip screws.

On the firing range, the front sight is just too high for the TDC. I had to put the rear site at the highest point where it is ready to come off the base and I still had to put the base of the front sight in the notch to hit at 50 yds with a slug. I will probably remove the front sight and put in a florescent bead. Not as nice of sight picture but should work. For this reason, the lower profile of the tru glo, allen and hi viz might be better but they are not as well built as the Williams or mount as permanent. Disappointed somewhat as the front sight really looks good on the gun but I don't think I can shoot different ranges with the high sight picture I am getting.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 03:45:20 PM »
JRSR126,

Give Williams a call and let them know the front sight is too high, they might have one that is shorter that would work better. The sight is listed as universal. Looks like H&R has a new turkey sight on the Excell autoloader that locks on the rib that may work for slugs also. What choke and kind of slugs were you shooting? The Rottwiel Brenneke's are hard to beat out of a smooth bore.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 10:09:22 AM »
Busta 'yote, I was shooting Winchester 2-3/4" rifled slugs. I will contact Williams this Monday and see what they can do. Bought the Rottwiel Brenneke slugs you suggested. Those are the one with the plastic tail. Galayans had them for $1.97/box. I was using a Improved Cylinder choke for the Winchester slugs. Best 3 shot bench group was about 5" at 50 yds but I think I can do better when I get the sight problem worked out and use these slugs. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 11:09:24 AM »
Might not win the postal match but it will definitley kill a deer.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 11:07:37 AM »
Just rec'd the higher rear sight top from Williams for my TDC. They are a great company. Second time they have quickly responded to a problem with no hassle or cost. The packing slip for the higher rear sight top said WMS 5/16" Fire Sight Blade in case anybody has a similar problem. I measured the fiber optic side of the old blade and it was 1/8" thick. I will sight in the gun this Saturday.

Note that I saw a post on some website about somebody else getting a Willams Sight where one of the locking rails was not threaded which also happened to me. However, Williams took care of the problem.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 11:31:16 AM »
A question JRSR126, which Brenneke-Rottweil slugs did you get for $1.97 a box (5?). I have had great luck with the Brenneke-Rottweil 12 gauge, 2 3/4", "MP" slugs. They shot best using a modfied choke tube in my smoothbore 24" H&R barrel with a Red Dot sight. One ragged hole at 50 yards. It shot fine with the Imp Cyl tube also it just shot better with the modified choke tube installed. Which model slugs did you shoot and what choke is the shotgun you are shooting them out of? Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »
JRSR126,

Sorry to hear of your problems after referring Williams to you, they are a very good company and I am glad to hear they took care of the problem. Every Company has a hick-up now and then, it's how they take care of the problem that determines whether they get my business again.

Let us know how them Rottweil Brenneke's shoot at $1.97 a box? I got them at $1.39 once, they were the best shooting lot I ever had. Those were the days. :grin:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 03:21:50 PM »
MSP Ret

Slugs I just bought but have not fired were the Benneke Rottweil 2-3/4" M.P 1 oz, 28, 4g???. The plastic back of the slug was orange and the box is grey. They were on clearance at Dicks/ Galayans for $1.97 for a box of 5. Interesting that you got better groups with the modified vrs. the IC. I will try both chokes. I got 6 boxes.

The slugs I shot were the regular Winchester rifled 2-3/4 1 oz slugs plus some 1 oz Beneke blitz slugs.  

Hopefully, I can shoot tomorrow at the Range and try out the new rear sight.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 04:08:56 PM »
Thanks JRSR, There is no Dicks near here but there is one in Bangor, Maine within driving distance of my camp. If I ever get up there again ( :( ) I check and see if they have any. Those are great accurate slugs from my 12 gauge Handi smoothbore with a Red Dot sight and I have recently been paying $4.19 a box for them!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline JRSR126

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 09:09:10 PM »
MSP Ret

I was at Dicks on Friday and the clearance was over. They had just completed inventory. I was wondering if February is the time to buy guns and ammo. I need to stretch my $.  

Would appreciate feedback from all readers of this thread on best times of year to buy guns and ammo. I was told for a car it is 12/31. Thanks

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 06:55:08 AM »
if you"re shopping at the big stores it's right now. I just got a few things at the local Kmart at 75%off.Most of the stores around here have put the hunting stuff awayfor the year and whatever is out is on clearance. Its also a good time to look at EBAY AND GUNBROKER. of course there is no bad time to look at gunbroker.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: turkey/deer sights
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 01:36:33 PM »
I like your logic.  BUT HONEY, I NEED THE TDC 20!!  Good idea.  Good reason to pick up another EXCELLENT  piece of hardware for cabinet.  GO FOR IT !
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"