Author Topic: Got my new Pardner w/32" barrel  (Read 597 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Got my new Pardner w/32" barrel
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:27:34 PM »
My new Pardner finally arrived at my local Wally World.  Because I wanted the 32" barrel, it had to be ordered.  The distributor didn't have one either so it was ordered from the factory.  I am a bit disappointed by the cleanliness of the barrel assembly; it's so dirty that I have not mated the barrel to the receiver yet.  A serious cleaning and lubrication is called for.  Anyone else find this to be the case.  I won't get a chance to shoot it until some time next week, so with the Holidays and all, the cleaning will have to wait.

John

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 02:29:04 PM »
Congrats on the new gun. They always seem to come from the factory full of grease, dirt and metal filings. Clean her up and enjoy shooting and give us a report on how that long barrel handles.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 03:24:03 PM »
hi jrdudas -

nice acquisition you have there. i have a 12 gauge with a 28" barrel, a real shoulder cannon with turket loads.

NEF firearms are shipped with a healthy load of gunk. factory gunk. factory gunk includes grease, cardboard, sticky stuff, wood, and metal shavings.

with every new NEF, get a can of gun cleaner or brake cleaner and scrub everything down to get rid of all that gunk !.

if you use brake cleaner, remove the wood stock and forearm otherwise  it will be stained by the brake cleaner. a small toothbrush sized brass brush works well in getting the gunk out of the nooks and crannies of the receiver.

do this a few times. NEF guns have been known to shoot poorly, open or loosen up on firing, or show other anomolies until they are free of factory gunk.

when you are done cleaning, give the gun a wipedown with a rag and some gun oil. i use breakfree, but there are others are just as good or better or cheaper. make sure you give the inside of the action and the ejector a blast or two with some light gun oil to keep it from rusting especially after using one of those solvent based oil free gun cleaners. go easy here though.

have fun !

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Pardner 32"
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 02:56:11 AM »
I've never seen anything on this site about the necessity to dismantle the action for cleaning. Now, as much as that might make me feel good,  I guess that short of falling in the creek and crawling out through the mud, flushing with cleaning spray and spray lube works. Maybe a little poke and hope with a pipe cleaner so I feel better.
 Some of you fellas know what you're talking about, and you would have said something different by now. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
                                                             Woodbutcher

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 04:05:59 AM »
I use this stuff called action blaster and it seems to work well. I'm sure it's just brake cleaner in a facny can for twice the price.I'm a novice when it comes to gunsmithing but I've been shooting these guns since 1972 and never seen the need to take the action apart.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 04:30:19 AM »
OUCH ! yeah ! don't take the action apart, use one of those tubes and spray a bit of cleaner/lube inside the action. sorry  :D

sg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 08:20:36 AM »
Hey SC, no need to apologize, you made no implication of taking anything apart. I was bit confused at what that statement was aimed at, so much so that I went back and read every post before it and still could not see anything about taking anything apart, just references to cleaning a new gun out very well. I left it alone feeling he was just a bit confused. You owe no one anything, well said on your part, these fine little guns do need a good thorough cleaning when you get them, some more than others....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
32"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 10:13:56 AM »
I've seen info about polishing the trigger mech, and different hammers for quicker locktime, that required dissambly. But I've never seen anything about the need for dismantling the action for the purpose of cleaning, on this website.
 I grew up learning the sometimes obvious need to dismantle firearms and fishing gear for routine cleaning. Always made me feel like I was taking good care of my stuff. This can can cause problems if a person...gets suprised by something new..., and they don't have someone knowlegable to turn to, immediately, hands on.. Been there, done that, don't want to do that again, especially to my NEFs! Ignorance is bliss... till I find out just how dumb I am. Go there, do that often enough.
 Now I believe that you fellas know what your talking about, I trust what you say! I've not seen anything on this site about dismantling for cleaning. If it was necessary you would have said so...right?...?...?
 I remember speaking to the factory people a couple of years ago, on the phone. They were surprised at my question, said they got no complaints about cleaning the action, and to keep it oiled, and don't worry. I didn't like the answer, but I liked dismantling the action less.
 I'd sure appreciate advice or correction, which is why I'm writing this in the first place. Your thoughts, please!                                                   Woodbutcher

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 10:26:30 AM »
woodbutcher, now I'm getting confused. I haven't seen anyone say that you have to disassemble the action.

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 11:26:49 AM »
hello woodbutcher !

in my earlier posts, i meant for you to clean the inside of the action, not to take it apart !!!!!! i am not sure how the connection to cleaning and disassembly was drawn, but no harm done.

i have one or two NEF's and always cleaned the inside of the actions before shooting it. there's a good reason why i do this too. i use a spray cleaner with a swizzle stick type to reach inside the action without dismantling it. although i'll bet someone can come up with a can of spray cleaner that can drive out drift pins  :)

one time, i had a new gun over a bunch of sheets of newspaper. i sprayed gun cleaner all over the gun. i noticed a bunch of small black and shiny grit on the paper, it was metal filings. i sprayed more into the gun and got a bunch more metal filings out of the action. i sprayed more until the the filings stopped draining out of the gun with the cleaner. not all my NEF's have had that much of junk in them, i just assume they do and clean the action, ejector mechanism, and other parts as good as i can before firing the gun.

my thinking is that when you pull the triger and fire the gun, there are stresses on the action and other gun parts, this stress may (or may not) cause the loose metal filings to damage the good gun parts, the parts we like. so it is a good idea to get rid of them before shooting the gun.

i have had NEF's long before i found this website or the now defunct  predecessor to this forum at the H&R website, i wish i found it earlier because someone would have told me clean the guns before shooting them !

ciao and happy new year !

sg

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
32" barrel
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 12:42:27 PM »
Gentlemen:
 I must confess that my concerns are because I got an itch that I havn't scratched properly. Since I can't actually see the the parts, it bothers me. Maybe I'm just frettin' needlessly, but I do have an H&R 20 ga that is over 20 year old, and I wonder sometimes. Perhaps I'll go to Perklo's site, dust off the drill press, make a jig, and just deal with my concern.
 I've never dismantled the lock on my flintlock, but I can flush and lube it and then inspect it. Can't stick my nose into the NEFs or the old H&R, the same way. Corrosion is part of Murphy's Law, ya know? Thankyou.
                                                     Woodbutcher

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 01:38:13 PM »
hello woodbutcher -

scratch that itch !!!!!  :D

what's it like for you when you change your cars oil for the first time ???  :-D  :-D  :-D

i can see the pistons, bolts, crankshafts, seat belts, valves, steering wheels, sparkplugs, windows, and fenders; strewn all over the valvoline parking lot ! :-D  :-D

happy new year and this was all in fun !!!!

sg

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
32"bbl
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2005, 01:48:35 PM »
Scattergunner, you said it better un I could. Woodbutcher

Offline oneredbarn

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 06:37:16 AM »
Bought my wife a pardner in 410 at Wal-Mart for Christmas. It looked like it had been siting behind a table saw for a while from all the dust on it. Took the barrel and stock off and used brake cleaner on it like I did on my handi. Looks good now with a light coating of oil. Now if this rain will stop we can try and do some hunting today.