Author Topic: Weather, what up with the deer?  (Read 1868 times)

Offline bmize

• Trade Count: (0)
Weather, what up with the deer?
« on: January 03, 2005, 09:17:37 AM »
Got to hunt 2 days before Christmas, New Years eve and New Years day. ain't seen the first deer. I guess this warm front that is sticking around has the deer laid up sweating with their winter coats on.
Hope it cools off soon.
It is nice to be able to go hunting in a tee shirt and jeans instead of all bundled up.

P.S. Glad to see the AL page.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »
Yup these warm days in the 60s and 70s sure can put the damper on deer movement this time of year. Not affecting me tho since the doctor told me I can't go to woods rat now anyway. Getting the old ticker tested the next two days and will know after that what I can do, can't do and MUST do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bmize

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 02:14:05 PM »
Go to the Doc., wait 45 min. to go back, Get on the treadmill and walk as fast as you can for 30 minutes and then let the doc. tell you you need to come back next week for another test, Sounds like fun.

Guest,
I'm about 20 min. north of B'ham. I am hunting (this Year) in Cullman Co. near Hanceville, about 20 min. from the house. Had a bad string of luck finding a decent club for the last 5 years, every year a new one for different reasons. Don't want to go south since it limits hunting time so much.
You anywhere near by?

Offline davis1as

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 02:52:22 AM »
I'm GUEST. Guess I forgot to sign in before posting

I'm in Hartselle.
My friend has some land in Lamar county we try to hunt. Its rough as Hell. It Had been clear cut years ago and is a bugger to get around on. Has a good deal of signs just hard to get around on. They ran dogs across this land for years and we are in belief the deer are near totally nocturnal. We have both killed small deer there in the last couple of years but the time it take to drive over, no where to stay, and the challenge of hunting scub brush and swamp limits our time there.

We are both considering trying to find a club closer to us. He lives in Huntsville and the land in Lamar is about two hour drive for him. Hope we can find something between us. It always seems like a better time when yu can go with people you like.

Think I may consider a crossbow next year and take advantage of Wheeler and Swan Creek!!

Offline tspoon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 03:59:52 AM »
stay at it in lamar
i hunt in marion county and we stopped dog hunting 7 years ago.
it took around 2 -3 years but now we have 20 members and kill between
50-60 deer a season

Offline bmize

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 04:17:15 AM »
Friend of mine has some family land in Marion Co. Neighbors still run dogs so that is the only time he see's any deer.
The club I am in this year is right on 65 between exit 291 and 299, I think 5700 acres, Most is on the east side of the interstate. They are doing allot of clear cutting and rumor has it the it has been sold or will sell soon. So I might be looking again myself. We have a good number of deer but have not seen many in the daylight hours.

Offline tspoon

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 08:10:26 AM »
yep i know the club abd people in it
it used to be a great club, but i was told they like to
atv too much during the season

Offline bmize

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:04:33 AM »
They will do some riding but it doesn't bother me, I have my fields at the dead end of 2 different trails/roads and park my atv in the middle of the trail before you get to my fields. anyone coming up on it knows someone is hunting ahead. I usually hunt the woods and put my son on one of the fields.

I have hunted 12 days this year and at most I have seen 5 other vehicles at a time parked hunting this year on Saturdays, during the week I have only see one other person. never seen anyone in the woods.

I heard several stories after I joined but have not had any problems so far.

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 04:14:21 AM »
Hey fellas...been poking around GBO for a couple of weeks and just noticed that there was a "Hunting in Bama" forum. I hunt just north of Andalusia and I couldn't agree more about the weather! I think between the hurricane coming through and jacking everything up and this warm winter the deer aren't going to know when to start the rut!!!
Good luck with your hunting guys!
Cheers,
R
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 05:04:31 AM »
The deer were already rutting at Oakmulgee WMA in early Dec.  Saw several large scrapes.  No one I know has seen many deer in the woods anywhere.  I see them all the time at night on the road where I live.  I don't know if it is the weather or what, but it sure is frustrating trying to get one in your crosshairs in the daytime.

GB, I hope everything works out well for you on your heart.  I used to hunt with a guy who had several open heart surgeries.  He made a light weight climbing stand, and he just did not hunt any really rough terrain and walked slow everywhere he went.  He did fine.  We did stay in constant radio contact just in case though.