Author Topic: Kahr Arms Pistols  (Read 751 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Kahr Arms Pistols
« on: January 05, 2005, 05:30:51 PM »
How is their reputation among the owners out there?  Yet another pistol I found out about today after seeing a review on the internet about one.  The pistol from Kahr I seem most interested in is the M4043 which is of course chambered in 40 S&W.  I'm still looking around for a very compact pistol that still offers plenty of firepower.  Once I see something I like, something else comes along and takes some interest away...:evil:  I would rather they had a higher magazine capacity than 5 rds + an extra 6rd mag that protrudes from the bottom alittle.  Another question, does the chamber fully support the case head on the 40 S&W?  I've heard to be careful with some brands, as some don't fully support the casehead, and the possibilty of a case bulge or rupture could occur.

But you can only have so much, I guess when it comes to extremely compact pistols.  Same goes for the action.  I would also prefer a SA & DA config, but they seem to be DA only for most CC purposes; but I'm getting to a point, where I will just say oh well and go with a DAO if that is all there is.  If that is what I purchase, then I will just practice with it alot, and get the feel for a DA.  

Anyway, I've said enough; I just feel silly asking about all these different brands and models as I hate to sound as though I can't make up my mind.  Not that I can't; my problem is there are just so many different brands, models, etc.  It is hard trying to weigh out the pros and cons of them all to where I would be most satisfied with the product.  But that is what is great about these forums; saves time and money by getting lots of info from those who own one already instead of buying unaware of their possible qualities or shortcomings and not being completely happy with it.  Any replies are much appreciated. :D   Patriot

http://www.kahr.com/pistols_M4043.html
-Patriot

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:30:38 AM »
I have no experience with Kahr pistols so I can't begin to help you there. However, let me ask if you have looked at the Glock G-27 which is chambered for the .40S&W?

From just what I've been reading on the internet in various places/forums it appears that Kabooms involving the 40S&W (in any brand of firearm) aren't happening with factory ammo but are generally the result of reloads. Now please don't quote me on that because it is based just on a "feel" for what I've been reading.

Now I'm going to get myself in trouble..... I'm not trying to knock your choice of caliber.... not at all. Nor am I trying to start some kind of "caliber war" and hijack your thread. Also, from what I've been reading on the 'net the relitively recent improvements in self defense ammo there doesn't seem to be much difference in caliber effectiveness from 9mm Luger on up. Once again let me put in the caveat that this is just a subjective comment based on what I've been reading.

Just for the record I went with Glock's G-26, the 9mm, but for many different reasons. Caliber was one as I think 9mm Luger is as small as I want to go but there were many other reasons also... capacity was one, concealability another, reputation of extreme reliability was another, my personal dislike of external safetys another, and the lack of a Kaboom history in 9mm another.

Please Patriot... again let me say I'm not knocking your choice(s) as your reasoning sounds fine to me but since, per your post, it appears you are open minded and still in the "decision" stage for your next firearm I just wanted to give you yet another option/gun to have a look at. :-)
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:05 PM »
Please Patriot... again let me say I'm not knocking your choice(s) as your reasoning sounds fine to me but since, per your post, it appears you are open minded and still in the "decision" stage for your next firearm I just wanted to give you yet another option/gun to have a look at.

Now you've gone and done it...another pistol to consider.  :grin: :P   Don't need to feel you changed the subject any or trying to change my mind on anything.  As you said, I'm still in the decision phase, so I don't have my heart set on anything as yet.  Caliber-wise, I am starting to believe the same.  Today's self-defense ammo and bullet designs have greatly exceeded those of the earlier days; come a long way from just a simple lead slug.  I guess if there is one thing I can't quite get out of, it is a slight case of the "little more gun and recoil, means more effectiveness" bug.  I don't believe that is true; to a certain degree.  Of course, the bigger calibers do more damage in the sense of the word.  But a well-placed 9mm is just as effective as a well-placed 45.  A good example: U.S. Navy Seals use 9mm pistols.  All depends how proficient one is with a firearm, that is what tells how effective it is in SD purposes.  Anyway I'll still keep researching; I know there is something out there to suit me perfectly (almost :wink: )  Thanks for the suggestion, as any and all are welcome.

Just to reopen an old wound, the one gun I DID FIND that I was looking for, and has everything I wanted (including caliber size), is NOT certified for sale in CA as yet, if ever.  That really hurts. :cry:  :x

It is Para Ord's Warthog: http://www.paraord.com/pages/pxt_highcap.html#warthog

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline KN

Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:50 PM »
Kahr pistols are top notch. I personally carry a P9 covert. If weight is not a issue with you then the steel framed kahr is an excellent choice. If you are wanting it for CCW then I would suggest you check out the "P" series pistols. I have shot a PM40 and did not care for it much. Too much recoil in that light a pistol for me to get follow up shots very fast or accurately. I would imagine that the steel framed pistol would be much better in that caliber.  KN

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 03:16:02 PM »
I own a new Kahr PM9. This compact is less than an inch think and weighs less than 1lb. It digests ALL 9mm ammo including the +P stuff. Recoil is very manageable and the gun shoots quite well. Shot hundreds of rounds of ammo from 3 different boxs without a hiccup.

For all the info you ever wanted on Kahr pistols look here:

http://glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=111

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 12:54:05 AM »
I have a Kahr P9 Covert and my wife has a P9.  We both love them.  Very small and compact.  Fits nicely into my front jeans pocket.  It is much thinner than the Mini-Glocks.  I love it in 9mm, in fact it is the most accurate 9mm I have ever owned!  The Kahr is suited to small hands.  It is compact in all dimentions, it is the only semi-auto that I have ever been able to hit the magazine release without having to shift my grip on the pistol.  If you have larger hands than normal, you will not like this gun, buy a Glock.  The Kahr is definately at it's best as a CCW gun.  The flush fit magazine on my Covert (short butt) holds 6 for a 6+1 capacity, and the extended mag (which is really the P9 mag) gives you another round.  I owned a Glock in .40 S&W and will never own another .40 pistol.  Way to much buck and roar for pleasant shooting, I'd much rather shoot a .45 anyday.  They load the 40 to much higher pressures than a .45 to try to get the same ballistics.  A .40 is ok for CCW but they are not pleasant to practice with unless you get one in a service size pistol.  If you are going to carry that size gun,  then go to a .45 in the first place.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline williamlayton

Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 01:49:34 AM »
Started to post but the lack of actual experience with this weapon led me to let the hands on fellows lead the way.
From LOOKING at em, reading some reviews (not in magazines), and listenening to some folks, I think Kahr is a good choice.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 02:13:39 AM »
I've shot the Kahr P9, that a range buddy owns.  Nice for a compact, even with my big hands.  The trigger was stiffer than I really prefer, but then I'm a 1911 enthusiast.  For CCW, I'd rate the Kahr a good choice!
My personal druthers go to the Glock single-stack .45ACP - but that's just me.   :-)

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
Kahr Arms Pistols
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 02:36:16 AM »
The Kahr pistols I have seen  are quality made but heavy. As for the Glock, :P  Hahahaha! No way!
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.