Author Topic: Recoil on Total Titanium Revolvers  (Read 834 times)

Offline Patriot_1776

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Recoil on Total Titanium Revolvers
« on: January 05, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
I was looking over some revolvers at Taurus, and their Total Titanium models are pretty nice.  Question: How is the recoil in 357 Mag. or even the 41 Mag. being as light as they are?  I am wondering how they handle (muzzle flip/jump, controllability) in relation to their weight, bbl length, and chamberings. TIA

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Paul S

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:38:09 PM »
Patriot, I was looking at the same guns to buy last summer. I spent a few days watching the Taurus page on this site about the Ti guns and I got scared off from them. Some of the issues people where having with QC on the taurus guns was down right frighting. That was my 2 cents. To address your question I'm sure they have quite a jump to them.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 05:22:06 AM »
Let me put it this way, experienced shooters will only shoot a couple of cylinder fulls to verify the sights, then shoot only very light loads for practice.  I've seen several S&Ws and Taurus guns for sale with only a cylinder full (sometimes less!) shot thru them.  Someone buys one, then buys the hottest defensive ammo then can, shoots it and says 'Oh my God!.  About like the time I decided to shoot some 300 gr bullets in my Charter 44 spl 3".  Two shots was enough of that!  That Ti gun is a wonderful gun to carry as it is so light.  but if you want to practice with a snub, buy a nice used steel frame one.  The practice will still stand by you when you need it, but you won't subject yourself to the abuse, or develop a killer flinch.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Rich Jimbo

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:31:40 PM »
Patriot,
  I have a Taurus Ti in 357. I like it just fine! Because it's so light, it makes a great carry gun.  It is ported, [from the factory] so the muzzle flip and recoil are reduced. And, it has Taurus's "Ribber" grips which helps to control the recoil ever more. I was very pleased with the purchase of this gun!                                                                    Jimbo

Offline Totin'a10

Taurus total Ti .44spl
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 04:52:33 AM »
Greetings,

My .44 was pleasant to shoot with the Ribber grips, surprisingly so.  I have since put on some home made wooden  boot grips. Wouldn't shoot it all day but not as punishing as expected. This is with 200 gr Gold Dots. Grip to hand fit is crucial. I also had the hammer bobbed. I now have one very cool snubby thats easy to have with me always. :-D

Be safe! :D
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline firstshot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 04:58:56 PM »
I just picked up a Taurus 605B in .357 this past weekend.  I've owned and shot .357's and 44 Mags before so am no stranger to recoil.  I put a few rounds of Federal .357 130 grn Hydra-Shok JHP's through it and just like 44 Man said, my first thought was "Oh my God!."  (I did hit what I was shooting at though.)  To me the recoil, while manageable, seemed to be every bit as much (if not more) than a 44 Mag through a standard weight /size 6" barreled revolver.  I also agree that for someone not accustomed to heavy recoil it would be easy to develop a flinch with these light guns.  

Even so, I like the gun so far.  It's a light easy carry, fits my hand perfictly, has good balance, and seems to be a natural pointer.  Now just need to see how well she shoots.  I will however, be doing most of my practicing with 38 ammo.

firstshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Make your first shot count!
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun !!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 03:46:09 AM »
For carry purposes, the Titanium or Scandium guns are the lightest things you can put into your pocket or hang off your belt, but for shooting - the laws of physics come into play - for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction and this is where your hand and wrist will take a beating.  

My carry snubbie is a 13oz S&W M38, the Lightweight Bodyguard.  It handles my preferred load, a 200 gn swc backed by 3.8 gn of WW213.  It is an easy, low pressure load to shoot through my snubbie.  Take two ounces off that weight for a Titanium revolver of the same size and your hands and wrists take a beating after about 3 cylinders full.  

With lightweight handguns, what you make up for in weight reduction you may lose through recoil.  HTH.  Mikey.