Author Topic: Ackley Website  (Read 2249 times)

Offline ras308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ackley Website
« on: January 06, 2005, 03:23:12 AM »
I saw somewhere yesterday a link to an ackley cartridge information website, but was unable to open it???  Does anyone know of such a site?  Thanks.

Offline Buford

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
An Ackley site?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 03:52:20 AM »
That would be an interesting site to fine - I dealt with Mr. Ackley when he was walking around on the face of earth improving things for us.....

Offline ras308

• Avid Poster
222 mag ackley
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 04:51:55 AM »
I bought a .223 and had it reamed to .222 mag improved.  It is shooting the fireforming loads pretty good, I haven't loaded any of the improved cases yet, hoping it shoots great.  Do you have any experience with the .222 mag improved???  Thanks.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
Ackley Website
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 02:17:39 PM »
What was the web site ras? I find stuff on books, and data etc.
Dave

Offline ras308

• Avid Poster
Can't find
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 01:54:15 AM »
I went back into my history, I can't find the site???  I think the reason I can't find it is because the site has moved or something, it wouldn't open???  I am very interested in Ackley and other wildcat cartridges, I guess it's because I like to be different and I like the straight walls, sharp shoulders and also less case stretch.  If anyone finds an ackley or good wildcat cartridge site, please let me know.  Thanks.

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Ackley Website
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:39:57 AM »
ras! your gonna love your .222magAI! i have one in a savage single shot with a shillen barrel, that shoots in the three,s very fast too! 3800fps with a 40gr balistic tip. for more speed i bought a cooper montana varminter in 22-250AI. it will only do 5/8in groups. but the 22-250 takes 41grains of powder, to beat the .222magAI using 28! and only by three hundred fps.
 i want one  in a contender carbine barrel!

Offline ras308

• Avid Poster
Triple Deuce Imp.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 04:33:51 AM »
What powder are you shooting?  Mine is in a contender with the 23" barrel, I am really enjoying it!!!  Looking forward to loading the improved cases.  It killed two does in the late spike and doe season this past weekend.

Offline Catfish

Ackley Website
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 01:55:32 PM »
Ackley himself never made a .222 mag. imp. round, but he does mention it in his second book. If your looking for increased velosity over the .222 mag., your waisting your time. When you increase the volume of a case you will get a velosity increase equall to abt. 1/2 of the volume increase. With the .222 mag. that figures out to be about 25 fps. with a 55 grn. bullet, at the same chamber presures. The Ackley shoulder does give you a round with alittle more inhearent accuracy though. All round are not created equall when it come to improveing them. The older rounds like the .30-30 and the .22 Hornet, with their body taper and long shoulder gain far more case volume, and velosity than do the newer round with less body taper and sharper shoulders. I am an Ackley fan though, my E-mail ad is Ackleyimp@ aol.

Offline Drilling Man

Ackley Website
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »
P.O. Ackley was a great guy to spend time with.  I spent numerous hours in his shop with him chatting.  

I still have a 6mm bbl. he made and chambered for 240Wby. for me and installed it on a LH Rem. 700 action.  It shoots very well and long ago i even won a few magnum bench rest shoots with it.

I really enjoyed my time with him, he had many great stories to pass along...

Drilling Man

Offline Kiwi

Improved Cartridges
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 07:27:09 AM »
I have a feeling that some of that some of the Ackley Improved cartridges may not have been improved by Ackley at all, just people using his idea's of minimum body taper and 40 degree shoulder angle. This is not to detract from how successful some of his improvements were but may explain why you can find no mention of cartridges like the 223 Ackley improved in either of his books.
I am having a Remington model 700 rechambered in 22-250AI at the moment and when that project is finished will be starting on a 25-06AI

Murray

Offline hicard

Ackley Website
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:11 PM »
What are some of the most efficient AI cartridges.   I really like the looks of the 257 Roberts AI but want to know what is best improved with the AI touch?

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
Ackley Website
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 03:35:08 PM »
Quote from: hicard
What are some of the most efficient AI cartridges.   I really like the looks of the 257 Roberts AI but want to know what is best improved with the AI touch?

When I had my 1st Ackley build did alot of research and I wanted a hunting round in 7mm so did a 7x57AI.  It gave me the velocity that I expected and was a good shooter.  I haven't owned a 25 cal in over 25yrs but think the 257RobertsAI would be a good one.  I'm not a fan of the 25-06 or 280.
There has been alot of articles written on the Ackely and accuracey and nothing has been proven one way or another.  I took a custom 223 and that rifle would shoot 5 shot  groups in the .2 and .3's had a hart 1/14 twist barrel had that rifle chamber recut to a 223AI and it shot the same size groups.  My 222AI shoots little bug holes had that build for the 55gr bullets has a 1/12 twist got a 22-250AI with a 1/12 for the 55gr bullet another one with a 1/14 for the 50gr bullets.  Have a 6mmAI set up a for antelope another 6mmAI for PD.  I've been pretty lucky most have shown up to 250fps increase over the parent case I own the parent calibers so have a way to check.  The only reason I don't have a 222magAI just haven't got around to it yet the BR guys had pretty good lucky with that  round.  I shot a 6x47AI that was a good round.  I'm thinking about a 6x250AI as one of my next project set up for the 65 gr bullets.  Ackely himself didn't do alot of the case that bears his name. Well good luck to all.

Offline Slamfire

Ackley Website
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2005, 04:54:05 PM »
Quote from: hicard

That one was P O's favorite, being an engineer type he strived for efficiency, and thought that particular cartridge was the best balance of bore and case capacity.

Yes a lot of the AI cartridges came after his death sometime in the middle 70s.
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline Gavinator

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Ackley gains
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 12:42:45 PM »
Go buy vol. I & II of "Handbook for shooters & reloaders"

http://www.4-dproducts.com/ackley_info.html

[/img]