Author Topic: Years ago  (Read 801 times)

Offline flintski

• Trade Count: (0)
Years ago
« on: January 06, 2005, 09:51:03 AM »
Years ago, I mean in the 80's I had (still do) a corbin press and 7MM dies for making silhouette bullets for pistol matches.  One night just because I didn't have anything else to do I lubed a cast and gas checked  7mm bullet, then ran it thru the die.  Out came a pointed cast bullet with the most square base I have ever seen on a cast/checked bullet.  The bullet lube was still in the grease grooves but the over all shape was now a jacketed shape.  I made several bullets that way and tested them and they would shoot better than cast and equal with my 7mm jacketed bullets.
I have now gotten into blackpowder rifle silhouette shooting and was thinking if I got my friend to make a die to do the same for my 40 cal. bullets if it would still work with the larger bullets.  It sure did with the 7mm's.
What I would be looking for here is a VERY SQUARE base on the bullet.  These blackpowder bullets are plan base and cast to 30-1 lead/tin.  I know that the Corbin press is capable of that kind of pressure.

What is your thoughts.   Am I crazy for even thinking of it?
Don't shoot ugly guns/////

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
Match wadcutter bullets for .38's (and others) have been available for years (and have a great reputation for accuracy).

I think there'd be a sizable market for just that (squaring up specific cast bullets) if they could be built to run in a heavy duty press using 7/8-14 threaded dies.

It is an interesting mix of cast and swaging processes.

I'd like to try the concept of 'truing up' the HBC bullet we designed a while back.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Years ago
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:03:15 PM »
It would be best if the job were done using 'H' type dies if a lead alloy is being used. Smaller dies aren't to be used for other than pure lead.  Also, there may be a slight problem in matching the swage die diameter with the mold diameter.   Trying to run a .406" unsized cast lead bullet into a .406" swage die would be a real pain. This is where external punches get broken and the die mouth scared. Your experiment in the '80's with the 7mm worked, but isn't to be depended upon. Remember, the checked bullet probably already had been thru the lubsizer, but at what diameter ( 283? 284?)? If it was .285 or 6, common for lead rifle 7mm's you would have definitely had a problem getting it to fit the swage Point Forming die. 8)

Offline flintski

Years ago
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 04:01:04 PM »
thanks for the advice.  the .284 bullets worked just fine but the .410 size just might be to big.  I'll rethink this over before attempting anything.  thanks again    flint
Don't shoot ugly guns/////

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
Years ago
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 01:32:26 AM »
flint,

Give it a talk over with Richard and see what his take is on it. You may have to send the related hardware to him so he could match it. But he can do some amazing things.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20