Author Topic: Kimber Ultra Carry  (Read 656 times)

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Kimber Ultra Carry
« on: January 06, 2005, 02:50:35 PM »
Has anyone had any trouble with this pistol?  I have heard that some shooters had to send theirs back to the factory.  They had trouble with feeding rounds from the magazine.
Any comments?
Doc
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Offline denvas

• Avid Poster
Kimber Ultra Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 01:35:17 PM »
I have had mine for several years now and had no problems associated witht he fiream itself. I tried some really cheap mags once that caused a few problems but once I went back to Kimber factory mags or Chip McCormick mags the prblems went away. I carry mine 24/7 and shoot on average 500 rounds a monthl
Denvas
May the wind always blow in your face and the sun always shine over your shoulder. Then your prey will be unable to smell you and unable to see you until after they hear the crack of your shot!

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
Kimber Ultra Carry
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 10:06:55 AM »
It sounds like you have more experience with this pistol then the people who are complaining about them.  I'm guessing that the complainers are not giving this type of pistol enough time to "break in".  I know whenever I was issued a new 1911A1 Match Conditioned, It was so tight that the slide wouldn't go into battery until several magazines had been fired through it.  Thanks for your reply.
Doc

Offline Savage

Kimber Ultra Carry
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 12:58:52 PM »
Our police chief has carried an Ultra Carry for the past 3yrs or so and uses it when we shoot IDPA. The only problems he has experienced with it is a few feeding failures after firing 150 rds or so in the summer heat. The stainless slide requires more frequent lubrication under those conditions. A quick relube and he's back in business. I have the same problems with my Classic Stainless Target. Other than that he has had no failures with reloads or factory.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Doc Lisenby

• Avid Poster
Kimber Ultra Carry
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 12:09:32 PM »
I think that one of the most difficult alloys to work with (machining, polishing, etc.) is "stainless steel".  It seems that these metals gall more than other alloys and I have heard other comments by shooters about the guns made of this metal being difficult to keep lubricated.  I have never tried DriSlide from Brownells and given it the acid test like you shooters who shoot them much more than the average shooter does.  Have you tried it? I need some empiric knowledge so I can recommend it or to disregard the advertising hype.  Lot of BS going around about lubricants and cleaners. No more than I shoot, simple commercial greases and oils are satisfactory.  I watch the practical shooting bunch on the tube and am amazed that they don't have many jams or else they aren't shown having many jams.  Any marvelous  procedures/lubricants around I should be aware of?
Doc

Offline Savage

Kimber Ultra Carry
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 12:36:20 PM »
Doc, you are correct in your observations on SS guns, and super lubricants as well! A good grease is required on the rails. Any good quality synthetic grease is great in the summer time. I use a white lithium grease for winter matches, it maintains it's viscosity down to -50F. The Ultra Carry I mentioned in my previous post ran right out of the box, and continues to do so as the round count rolls up. My 1911s all run great with good ammo and mags. This includes a Charles Daly SS compact.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,