Author Topic: US seeks to buy ammunition from Taiwan  (Read 700 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
US seeks to buy ammunition from Taiwan
« on: January 07, 2005, 08:22:09 AM »
US seeks to buy ammunition from Taiwan as stocks run low after Iraq: report

TAIPEI (AFP) Jan 06, 2005
The United States is planning to buy hundreds of millions of bullets from Taiwan in the first such deal as its supplies are running low after wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, a report said Thursday.

Citing Taiwanese military sources, the United Evening News said Washington had made the request to acquire some 300 million 5.56-millimeter bullets for rifles for an estimated two billion Taiwan dollars (62.5 million US).

The deal was yet to be finalized pending price negotiations, it said.

An unnamed general quoted by the paper said it would be the first time for Washington, Taiwan's leading arms supplier, to acquire arms from the island.

In line with its usual practice, Taiwan's defense ministry declined to comment on the report.

Taiwan produces some 400 million such bullets annually, according to the paper. It added most rifle bullets were manufactured by an arsenal in southern Kaohsiung which has storage problems due to declining demand in the absence of any military conflict across the Taiwan Strait.

The paper also said Taiwan had exported T-91 rifles to several countries in Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

Washington Wednesday agreed to sell air-to-ground Hellfire missiles worth 50 million US dollars to Taiwan to help the island defend itself against threats from rival China.

"The US Army has executed a letter of agreement with Taiwan, setting the stage for the sale of more than 400 AGM-114M blast-fragmentation Hellfire rounds under a foreign military sales contract," US defense giant Lockheed Martin Corporation said.

It would take the company about six months to make the Hellfire missiles ordered by Taiwan.

The missiles will be mounted on Taiwan's Super Cobra AH-1W attack and OH-58D Kiowa Warrior scout helicopters.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Robert

Sounds bogus to me
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »
First off...that is about the same price I pay retail for a box of 20. (not bulk price)  I would imagine if we were going to buy such a huge lot of ammo, the U.S. would get a little bit of a discount for buying bulk.  Also....do you really think that something like this would be common knowledge for all the world to know...including our enemies?  I am betting that you will find out that this is 'hooey'.
....make it count

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:54:22 AM »
:o  :eek: I'll bet that Federal, Remington & Winchester would love part of the deal.
 :? JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Sounds bogus to me
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Quote from: Robert
 I am betting that you will find out that this is 'hooey'.
:roll:  :roll:

Offline BamBams

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:09:30 AM »
Now THIS ticks me off!  Outsourcing for our own ammo?  More American jobs lost.  If we could get through WWII with Singer making 1911s, I'm sure we could make enough ammo right here in the ole US of A today.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:14:02 AM »
Got to comment on thisun.
The History Channel only reported facts, they made no attempt to understand the facts or think about the situational differences.
In basic training in WWII, GI's were taught to never expend a round until a target was defined. These same boys, when they arrived in the Pacific, were told by their fellow soldiers and leaders to ignore what they were taught and put up a field of fire.
I have a real problem with counting bullets in a combat situation. If the leaders in any war want to economize on ammunition then they need to come on down and see if they want to play Davy Crockett while under the heat.
That said, it is good to know the general direction of the target.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 01:16:38 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
 If we could get through WWII with Singer making 1911s, I'm sure we could make enough ammo right here in the ole US of A today.
Amen, say Dali Llama. :D

Offline powderman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 04:41:48 PM »
BULLETS? I hope they mean loaded ammunition. Hmph, city people. POWDERMAN.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 04:58:08 PM »
Yes I would think with all the people out of work here in the USA we could make and assemble the amunition here in the states. It's pretty bad we depend on foreign owned companies to make our military sidearms(Beretta) when factories are laying off and closing. We have been buying ammo from many countries but I just don't understand our dependence on so much vital products from across the pond. As I said before we used to be one of the leading countries in manufacturing goods but now we are becoming a beggar nation. :eek:  :x  :cry:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 07:30:32 PM »
Trust me I am not trying to be anti American here but I see a few problems with us making the ammo. First of all we need it now so if Taiwan has a surplus it would be faster than us gearing up to make it. and 2. From what I heard of WWII  and Korea there was a comercial ammo shortage because our ammo factorys were making all the ammo for the war. I sure would not want that as ammo cost enough as it is. If we could make it and put folks to work fast as the Gov needs it and not interfer with comercial sales then I am all for it. But maybe that is not feasable. Might be more to the story than what is said here?  Yea I know this war is nothing in magnatude of WWII but if you have noticed lately with the gas prices and other goods give Corporate America a excuse to raise the prices no matter how idiotic they will and John Q public is dumb enough to buy it!  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :eek:  :shock:  :x  :roll: Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 01:44:29 AM »
Quote from: Nightrain52
Yes I would think with all the people out of work here in the USA we could make and assemble the amunition here in the states.
Unfortunately, many of them not willing to work, say Dali Llama. :(  :(