Author Topic: NEF barrel question, did I get took?  (Read 646 times)

Offline john.41

• Trade Count: (3)
NEF barrel question, did I get took?
« on: January 09, 2005, 03:19:03 AM »
I bought a 22" pardner sb1 barrel at a gunshow thinking I could put it on our 20 ga Tracker II. Kids would have another smooth bore then. It does'nt lock-up when mounted, I guess thats why you are supposed to send receiver to factory for extra barrels. I don't want anything done to the receiver because it shoots slugs great. How often do you find barrels that will interchange on guns? I can probably get my $30 back at the next show. Should I just forget about a 2 barrel Tracker? You can probably guess that I was trying to get by cheap with the gun show barrel.
  The front of the lug on the sb brl is rounded back almost to the roll pin, the slug barrel has a bit more left in front of pin. I think this might be a problem, right?
                                 Thanks

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 03:36:26 AM »
I'm sure someone with more knowledge of this can help you better than I. You could sell it in the H&R?NEF classifieds here. What are the stampings on the barrel ? It might be for an old model topper. I've heard of shimming using aluminum foil. This subject was covered a while back so you could probably find it looking back inthe threads.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 06:17:48 AM »
John.41, would you take a measurement from the rear of barrel lug cut out on each barrel to the rear of the barrel lug. Take each of these measurements on a line parallel to the axis of the bore and let us know what they are. Also please measure the total length of each barrel lug and and advise what those measurements are. Lastly tell us what is inscribed on the barrel you bought, everything on it. Thanks, perhaps we can get to the bottom of this and see if it can be fitted....<><.... :grin:

Unless that barrel has been buggered up there is no reason to thin you got taken, if it is just one of those that cannot be fit easily to your gun you can always sell it here for $30.00, about the going rate for a used smoothbore barrel, no great deal but not excessive either. Does the barrel close into the receiver? If so how much space between the standing breech face and the rear of the chamber end of the barrel? If you can't measure it (feeler gauges are a good way, it should be between .001 and about .003") try putting pieces of computer printer paper or typing paper in between the barrel and breech and see how many fit, let us know that also...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 07:02:21 AM »
See I told you some one more knowledgable than me would chime in soon.MSP to the rescue.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline john.41

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 08:15:15 AM »
The lug on the Tracker II measures 2.427 from the V-in back to the bottom of round in front, this is orig. to gun.
  The other barrel-Pardner model SB1 20ga 3" mod, measures 2.439 in the same place. It goes all the way down but thumb latch does'nt come up. I can get about a .004 feeler gauge between brl & breech on left side, right side seems tighter, hard to measure with out it locked up.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »
OK john.41, I have great hopes this will work out fine. I'll contact you via PM....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley