Author Topic: Anyone hunting late season deer?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Anyone hunting late season deer?
« on: January 09, 2005, 03:43:39 AM »
I love the late season. Not many folks around here hunt it. The bugs are gone and the fair weather boys are on their couches watching sports. I can also sneak away from work a lot easier. The only down side is that it conflicts with goose hunting. I can't wait the try out my my slug gun.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 05:57:55 AM »
Well our last hunt here in Maryland was Friday and Saturday but it rain heavy both days here.  I just couldn't bring myself to go sit in the woods when it was pulling rain.  So no more deer hunting for me this year.   I'm going to try to get out Monday after work for some squirell.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 07:05:12 AM »
In Delaware we have shotgun from 1/15-1/22 and muzzleloader 1/24-1/29 and archery till 1/31. Dave check your pm
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
Our last day was Jan 2nd.  Our late antlerless season was winding down and I wanted one more for the freezer.   Happily stood in the rain for several hours and never saw a hair.  It's nice to be out in the woods almost all by yourself.  Thank goodness for Gortex :)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 11:25:57 AM »
I'm jealous...I wish we still had a deer season going on here in NYS.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 11:56:51 AM »
Quote from: DaveH
Well our last hunt here in Maryland was Friday and Saturday but it rain heavy both days here.  I just couldn't bring myself to go sit in the woods when it was pulling rain.  So no more deer hunting for me this year.   I'm going to try to get out Monday after work for some squirell.

Yea same here Dave I sat in this weekend also due to the rain.
I was lucky enough to draw a lottery permit for a shotgun hunt at a local state park this Friday 1/14. I can't wait it should be a BLAST we are allowed to take 4 antlerless deer and they are all over the place. I will be using my new Mossberg500C 20 gauge it shoots slugs great.
I will take my son out after some squirrels before the season ends.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 12:29:14 PM »
I picked up my Massachusetts sporting license the other day and I found out that the island of Nantucket is going to have a special deer hunt for Febuary 7th to the 12th. The biologist told me that there are 53 deer per square mile.

The only pain is that you need to take a car ferry over and camping is prohibited on the island. This is the place where a lot of wealthy people have summer homes or getaways. So, lodging is very expensive. The cheapest motel is probably over 100 bucks a night. I have seen some around 300.

But it is still a tempting proposition.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 02:50:23 PM »
Our season closed today, had a good time this afternoon with good friends getting in the last of it  no deer but a good time. There is next year and in between there will be rabbit then turkeys and range time. :D  8)
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 03:21:52 PM »
wny wt -

isn't muzzle loader still open for deer here in the fine state of new york ?

sg
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 02:54:28 AM »
As of Jan 2, we're all done here. Its time to chase the bunnies with the beagles.

BigBore, maybe John Kerry will share a room with you. I'm sure being the big hunter that he is, he'll be out for that special shotgun season you're talking about. And since he was unable to get his assault weapons ban passed, he could even legally use that fancy Remington 11-87 the gunmakers union gave him.

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 07:00:56 AM »
Yeah. I think I will give honest John a call and ask if I can bunk up at his summer residence. I am sure we'll see a very warm place freeze over.

I did get a reply that some places are taking in hunters but as I stated, it ain't cheap there. Motels are three figures a night. I heard that the state wants to see if they can allow some limited camping but that is highly unlikely.

We'll see what happens.

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 05:10:25 AM »
For all the negative things you hear about the Great State of NJ :shock: , at least we get to chase the deer around with bows and shotguns till the 31st.
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 11:00:57 AM »
Well, I got a couple of chances to go while I was in Tn. Didn't get one , but saw plenty. Either too long a shot or would not come out of the brush no matter what I did. Hellacatcher, sorry I couldn't hook up with you while I was there. Apparently there was some family issues that had to be resolved. I also didn't get the chance to go to Whittakers in Owensboro either. Hope you won't be to upset with me. Well, I'm back where I hate to be but maybe some squirrel and rabbit hunting will kinda squelch my thirst for some wild game until archery season rolls around. I did want to apologize Paul. But there is the family reunion at the end of june and I'll come in a few days early to go to the range.
                                                                  tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly