Author Topic: NEF & Harrison & Richardson shotguns.  (Read 1163 times)

Offline 6Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
NEF & Harrison & Richardson shotguns.
« on: January 09, 2005, 03:04:52 PM »
I have a NEF handi-rifle and on the side it says New Haven, Ct and the H&R has Garder, MA. on the side but do they make these guns there or are they contracting them and having them made overseas?
 I'm just wondering because these guns are so cheap and shoot so well just wondering where they are made.
 I bought a Springfield Armory .45 1911 afew years ago and it was made in Ill., USA. But about a year or two later they started making this model in Brazil and then ship the parts to Ill.
 I hope the USA doesn't start depending on gun makers overseas for our guns. I should add 'affordable guns'.

So, after all of that, if you have forgotten the question, Where are the NEF and H&R rifles and shotguns made, and thanks for your help.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
NEF & Harrison & Richardson shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 03:48:55 PM »
6Shooter,

All the single barrel break open guns are now made in Gardner, MA. Since 2004 they are however importing a Pardner Pump from China that is a clone of the Remington 870. They are also importing a .22 autoloader that I believe is made in the Philippines. For 2005 they are going to have autoloading shotguns and I think a double of some sort either SxS or O/U, not sure yet weather they will be imported or not but will probably be the case. I can only hope they will be made in the USA.

Marlin, the parent company of H&R/NEF is bringing back the L.C. Smith SxS double barrels and introducing a O/U also. These doubles are being made in Italy. It may also be possible that the double wearing the H&R LOGO will be made there too. Time will tell there because the company won't be talking until after the S.H.O.T. Show.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »
As far as I know they are made in the same factory right here in the U.S.A. They have been dadling in cheap imports though with the pump and .22 auto.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 04:27:08 PM »
They departed New Haven, CT years ago (1987 I believe), even before Marlin bought them.  I heard that the words "American Made" that used to be prominently displayed in their catalogs is missing from the latest 2005 catalog.  This kind of makes me wounder if they too are not starting to import at least some of the parts and assembling the guns here.  :?
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 10:07:25 AM »
Man, I hope that's not the case. I'm curious abou this as well. Maybe there marketing folks thought it might offend the less patriotic left wing shooting community?

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 12:06:55 PM »
Quote from: Markus
Man, I hope that's not the case. I'm curious abou this as well. Maybe there marketing folks thought it might offend the less patriotic left wing shooting community?

Is there such a thing as a non patriotic left wing shooting community? :eek:  :?   If their is, the thing they like to shoot off the most is their mouths as far as I can tell.  :P  :-D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:38:52 AM »
:)
That's a good one Brett. Thanks everyone for the information. I am hoping these guns are made here in the good 'ole US of A. That's one reason I have bought several Ruger firearms. Ruger guns are good ones but they're also costly. I'm just wanting a good, cheap, single-shot shotgun made here. Thanks again.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 01:16:28 PM »
I think your pretty safe in assuming that if you buy a used on that is a couple years old it was a made here. I'm relatively sure that they are making the singles here but no made in the USA in the catalog does make one wonder.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:00:27 PM »
Markus,

Have you seen a 2005 H&R/NEF Catalog? I called Customer Service the end of last week and she told me they didn't know when they would be done. I had her put me on a mailing list to have one mailed as soon as they arrive and that hasn't happened yet.

The 2005 Marlin Catalogs have been out since before Christmas, go figure.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 01:01:16 AM »
Busta'yote,  CS  fed you a line of BS. I have an H&R catalog that I  picked up at a gun shop. It shows the additional Pardner Pumps, and the Pinnacle O/U shotguns.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 08:30:08 AM »
I've had a request in for one for a while and I asked CS again last week when I called for an elevation screw

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 12:30:26 PM »
Rogmatt,

Thanks for letting me know they are out. I thought she didn't know what she was talking about, kinda pi$$es me off. She told me she would send the accessories catalog right out and that has not arrived either. I think I may be giving her BOSS a call tomorrow. Did I mention that I am a little pi$$ed yet? :x  She probably had the 2005 Catalog sitting right in front of her the whole time and just didn't want to be bothered. I own six H&R/NEF's and was looking to add at least two more this year, but if I get the run around from CS one more time they can keep them.

Did it say who or where they are making the O/U's? Italy maybe? Does the catalog have the autoloaders? Who is making them? I just hope it is not China. :roll:

Thanks for the info, sorry for the rant. :wink:
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 01:51:42 AM »
It does show the Auto 5 in several variations. It does not show where they are made, Marlin does refer to the LC Smith being made in Italy.
The 2005 H&R catalog on refers to the Pinnacle, and auto 5 as "Imports".