Author Topic: Only 21 Days left in Deer season  (Read 1671 times)

Offline bmize

• Trade Count: (0)
Only 21 Days left in Deer season
« on: January 10, 2005, 06:10:29 AM »
anyone else not put one or two in the freezer. I have had a few Doe's I could have take at long range but I am saving does for handgun shots, Havn't seen a buck all year during gun season.

Offline Montana Slim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 12:25:41 AM »
It's been a very odd year for deer in my area.  As you know we had a small cold period just at Christmas but other than that it has been too hot for good deer hunting.  I have taken three average size does for the freezer and have not had much luck with the bucks.  I have taken three coyotes. Two of these were ambushed and one that I called in.

Offline bmize

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:29:18 AM »
I've been blaming it on the weather. Maybe todays storms are bringing some cold air that will stick around for a few weeks.

Offline mkee

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
hope you're right
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 07:22:12 AM »
yeah, somethings gotta give.  I haven't even shot at a deer since season before last.  I've seen a few, but don't want to shoot anything that goes 30 lbs.

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 07:32:37 AM »
Same here...I've shot a spike and my son got a small doe. The rest of the hunting club (20 members on 2300 acres) have gotten about the same. My son saw a nice buck and one other member has too, other than that it has been does and spikes/4pts. Maybe the bucks will be moving with the cold weather on the way. I have about 7 scrapes near my favorite stand that popped up in the last couple of weeks, so maybe they are thinking of chasing some of these does around!!
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline rugerman

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 05:00:41 AM »
Hey guys I thought that I was the only one snake bit this year on deer, I've tried everything that I could think of and nothing is working . It seems like whenever I get to go hunting either the mood is full, the temp is high, the wind is blowing like hell or all of the above. Now i'm sitting here watching the freezing rain with ice hanging off everything and a forcast of more rain for to day. Well maybe Monday will be better. rugerman

Offline bmize

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 10:16:48 AM »
Yep, looks like a zero for me this year too. Twisted my knee moving a ladderstand last weekend. Just did not feel like sitting in the rain yesterday and knee is saying "NO WALKING FOR ME". Time to start looking forward to next year and possibly a new place to hunt.
The club I'm in this year has been sold and they have just about cut every piece of sellable timber on the entire 5700 acres this winter.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 10:33:42 AM »
Well one more wake up call and it's all over guys. If ya gonna do it tomorrow is your last chance.  :eek:

I only made it out once this season. My health has really been against me this season. For awhile we were pretty sure it was my heart but the tests (heart cath) last Friday said nope, so now gotta look elsewhere for the cause. Even walking 50 yards has me totally out of breath and gasping for air. No way I'd be able to drag a deer out if I were to kill one. I'm hoping by next season to have it worked out and able to again hunt.

I'd like next season to be in a club or on a lease with folks of somewhat similar mindset and who hunt at least more or less as I do. Meaning for sure no dog hunting. And a place that will let me use my four wheeler  to get somewhat close to stand as I might still not be able to walk far and for sure will require it to get one out.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 04:05:29 AM »
Well, the season ended yesterday for my son and I, we each got one, a spike and a doe, but nothing notable. This was our first year on this lease and I chalk up our 'lack' of success to not knowing the land well enough, we'll get'em next year. We both saw several deer, passed on several and we each saw a real nice buck, but neither stuck around long enough to offer a decent shot.
GB we will probably have opening for next year, not real sure what you are looking for, but there aren't any dog hunters on the lease and we use 4 wheelers to get around, it would be up to you how close you park to your stand. The lease is 17 miles north of Andalusia, not sure how far you would want to travel. If you are interested, I can give you some contact info for the club pres.
We may be going to a management system next year, we are going to discuss it at our end of year BBQ in a couple weeks and take a 'sort-of' vote. I've got some questions about that I'm going to post in the deer hunting forum.
Another season is gone, but Florida has two more weeks of gun season and then 2 weeks for bow, looks like I'll get a little more seat time in the ole' deer stands!
Cheers,
R
Cheers,
R

Offline rugerman

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 04:11:46 AM »
Hey Greybeard I'm going to give it one more try this afternoon. If that don't work do you think that them boys in the green trucks would mind if you and me went for a night ride (I'll drive you can do the shooting)? If we don't just think of all the accidents that their'll be from all those deer that we didn't kill this year, hell I'll bet that several of them good ol boy insurance agents would drive the truck so both of us could shoot if it would cut down of deer/car accidents, it would be a sort of public service mission.  Damn- wife just caught me on the computer, said that I wasn't going anywhere tonight and that my ass was her's for a while (at least til I get caught up on my honey do chores that I've been puttin off since huntin season started) Maybe next year. rugerman

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 06:32:35 AM »
The lease is 17 miles north of Andalusia, not sure how far you would want to travel.

I do appreciate it but that's way too far from home. Not a daily round trip distance from home. I have no camping equipment and so it's really out of the reasonable drive range for me up here in Calhoun Co.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline redneckd1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2005, 08:36:49 AM »
GB- thought I would throw that out to you. It is 100 miles from home to camper for me, however there is no running water or power out there, so after a week long hunting trip a guy can get pretty ripe!! Baby wipe baths just aren't the same as a hot shower!!
Cheers,
R