Author Topic: Being a Sinistral Handgun Owner  (Read 405 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Being a Sinistral Handgun Owner
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:26:51 AM »
Sinistral (Adjective) :twisted:
Pronunciation: [si-'nis-trĂȘl or 'si-ni-strĂȘl]

Definition 1: Pertaining to or facing the left side; left-handed.

Usage 1: Today's word may also be used as a noun to refer to left-handers: "She wore her watch on her right wrist like most sinistrals." The antonym of "sinistral" is dextral "pertaining to or facing right." "Sinistrally" is the adverb and "sinistrality," the noun from today's word. There is also a noun sinistration "turning to the left" which implies a verb "sinistrate." Some other day we will have to examine "southpaw," a peculiar phrase referring to sinistrals who climb the mound in baseball.

Now that we know what sinistral means...How many of you handgun owners are lefties? I know that I am and I understand that are others out there. Have you ever had difficulty obtaining holsters? Ever had a problem with magazine releases that are designed for right handed thumb operation? Any problems with spent cartridge ejection?

I didn't have a problem obtaining a leather holster because I went right to the manufacturer(Alessi). I was looking for a left handed Fobus or other kydex type paddle holster but so far I have been unsuccessful finding one for my 6904.

My magazine release is not ambidextrous like the Springfield XD series are as well as others. I have become accustomed to hitting the release with my left middle finger. A left handed friend with a Glock hits his mag release with his left index finger.

I have never had a problem with spent cartridges flying across my body but that is not to say that this has not been a problem with anyone else...

How about you other lefties out there...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense