Author Topic: Being a Sinistral Handgun Owner  (Read 600 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Being a Sinistral Handgun Owner
« on: January 11, 2005, 07:29:38 AM »
Sinistral (Adjective) :twisted:
Pronunciation: [si-'nis-trĂȘl or 'si-ni-strĂȘl]

Definition 1: Pertaining to or facing the left side; left-handed.

Usage 1: Today's word may also be used as a noun to refer to left-handers: "She wore her watch on her right wrist like most sinistrals." The antonym of "sinistral" is dextral "pertaining to or facing right." "Sinistrally" is the adverb and "sinistrality," the noun from today's word. There is also a noun sinistration "turning to the left" which implies a verb "sinistrate." Some other day we will have to examine "southpaw," a peculiar phrase referring to sinistrals who climb the mound in baseball.

Now that we know what sinistral means...How many of you handgun owners are lefties? I know that I am and I understand that are others out there. Have you ever had difficulty obtaining holsters? Ever had a problem with magazine releases that are designed for right handed thumb operation? Any problems with spent cartridge ejection?

I didn't have a problem obtaining a leather holster because I went right to the manufacturer(Alessi). I was looking for a left handed Fobus or other kydex type paddle holster but so far I have been unsuccessful finding one for my 6904.

My magazine release is not ambidextrous like the Springfield XD series are as well as others. I have become accustomed to hitting the release with my left middle finger. A left handed friend with a Glock hits his mag release with his left index finger.

I have never had a problem with spent cartridges flying across my body but that is not to say that this has not been a problem with anyone else...

How about you other lefties out there...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 09:58:41 AM »
I'm a dextralite but I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »
My wife, dad, father-in-law, and sister all shoot left handed.  I can miss just as well with either hand.

My wife is the only real gun person out of the bunch of lefties that I'm related to, the others are mainly hunters.  It takes a little more looking to find stuff for her, but it's not too bad.  The hardest thing to find is a short action, lefty bolt rifle in a brand other than Savage.  

Most of the decent holster makers catalog lefty versions for the more common handguns, and Midway carries a fair selection of lefty holsters.  It did take a little while for my wife to find a decent left handed holster for a 3" S&W model 60.
NRA life member

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
I'm mixed up
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 03:23:52 PM »
I'm left handed for fine detail stuff and probably left eyed (I am with a camera) - but my dad insisted I shoot right handed since I was about 8.  I've shot right handed so long - rifle pistol and shotgun -that my eye dominance is kinda mixed up. Like leverguy, I can miss quite well with either hand/eye combo.

When I got my first revolver in college, I would find my groups would suddenly get all messed up.  Turned out it happened when I would unknowingly switch to my left eye even though I still held the gun with my right hand.

Overall, I shoot well enough right handed and so much equipment favors righties, that I just stay with it. I might have been better off to use my dominant eye according to instructors I've met.

Have a left handed friend who never shot his Browning Citori well.  Finally a guy came along who knew a bit about stocks. Turns out the Citori had cast off designed for a right hander.  Sent the gun to Browning and nearly 2 years later they sent the gun back with a "cast on" stock for a lefty and he shoots it much better.  Sure was a heck of a long wait though.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:36:51 AM »
I'm a bit of an oxymoronic type, that is a leftie who shoots rifle, pistol and bow right handed.  I write, kick and punch left-handed, but can't shoot a gun with my left hand worth a foop.  I learned to swing a golf club right-handed, but can't do the same with a bat for some reason.  In general, I'm just very confused.   :roll:

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I thought I'd let you know that some of us have other issues related to "handedness".  But I'm still a proud leftie, happy to be in my right mind.  Well sort of, anyway.

Papajohn the Partially Perplexed Participant
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Questor

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 02:38:24 AM »
Safety first

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 05:42:14 AM »
Leftitude seems to help with heavy recoiling double action revolvers. The latch that opens the cylinder doesn't interfere with your thumb.
Safety first