Author Topic: squirell hunting in the fog.  (Read 499 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
squirell hunting in the fog.
« on: January 12, 2005, 11:27:54 AM »
Man I'm starting to think we will never have a nice sunny day to hunt again.  I went after work today to chase some bushy tails.  Saw four chipmunks and thats it.  During deer season the squirrels were all over the place.  But I think the bad weather has got them hung up in their dens.  But I'll get back out there when ever I get off work and there is still some daylight left.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 05:57:11 PM »
I'm going out this weekend to hunt bushytails.  It's going to be cold but no one hunts them anymore on my Dads so they are thick as heck.  Time to thin the herd :grin:

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:24:08 AM »
The bushy tailed tree rats seem to be keeping their heads down in my neck of the woods. I have not seen a lot  of activity this year.  But my freezer is full of venison so it's no big deal.   8)   :D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:46:12 AM »
I went out today in the damp warm air and I took three squirrels   It was warm and damp so I guess its the temp that holds the squirrels up.
Or maybe they just got hunger  Either way I got myself a nice mess of squirrel.
Gonna make myself a nice squirrel stew.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 10:17:57 AM »
I looked out the window and a big fat grey squirrel was raiding my wife's birdfeeder, again. Well my neighbors dog was visiting and looked out the window and got excited when the grey ran onto the ground under the feeder and started eating seeds. I let the dog out and she chased the squirrel up the tree where it just sat there and looked at the dog and kept circling to the opposite side of the tree away from the dog. I have had it with refilling the feeders so I got out my .22, loaded a Colibri Super and put it in his head, distance about 16-17 yards. The squirrel was dead when he hit the ground and the dog was happy. It now sits in a plastic bag in the back of my truck ready for the dump, just can't bring myself to eat a tree rat after watching them sit there and scratch all day long....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
Man MSP Ret, you dont know what your missin' That's some good eatin' I haven't had any in a while but when we lived on the farm my grand mother would make a pot pie with them that I long for to this day. My wife would never eat them either. They are hard to skin though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 02:25:30 PM »
Markus buddy, I wish you were up here to skin and cook them. I have gotten as many as 5 or 6 a day without even leaving my house. Just over 250 in about the last 10-11 months...and there still coming!!! I have slowed down though. It started when they started to climb the screen on the kitchen slider and then tried to climb into the exhaust fan over the stove and into the kitchen, thats when my wife gave the go ahead to "reduce their numbers" a bit. We had as many as 8-9 at a time around the bird feeders. The extra food was OK but the destruction and attempted B&E into the house ended their acceptance as occasional visitors. A friend in the area has had them chewing up the trim on his garden shed for a year or so and he has "reduced their numbers" a bit also....<><.... :grin:

There are places that give from .10 to about .35 per tail for use in fishing lures (Mepps maybe?), I wish we had started to salt and save the tails from the beginning...
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 03:33:23 PM »
I know when I was a kid mepps used to buy them but in De. The limit has been 4 a day as long as I can remember so it would take me quite a while to rack up enough to pay for postage let alone make a $. I used to go out and shoot 4 before school in the mourning and hide in the woods where I could see the school bus about a mile down the road then come running up to the house at the last minute and tell Pa he had to skin'em cuase the bus was coming. He'd give me hell for it but there was always squirrel cooking when I got home.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun