Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17603 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2005, 11:36:13 AM »
I'll have to look that up. I did look up a few of his songs and I must say; I'm sorry, but no one of them (including the delicious Candy Dulfer) matched the sound of Mr. Ken Gorelick, whose sound I find to be divine. I don't do this to rub it in, BamBams, just sharing my opinion. And Ken G is a mere baby I'm sure to David Sanborn, but I just like his sound.

I talked to a friend today, and found that the problem might be the soundcard in my comp. It hasn't been touched since I've gotten the comp, which was 6 years ago :eek: . So, time for a new soundcard. Plus a new mic I'm sure would definetly help. You really don't wanna hear a fuzzy and 'screechy' sound coming from your speakers. Yea, it's that bad. :roll:   :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2005, 02:40:36 PM »
I've got somethin' for ya now Fishman!

I've started my own Internet radion station.  It's called "Just Jazz," and I'll be broadcasting almost 24/7.  *smiles*

If you go here: http://www.streamerp2p.com/

and download that program, you'll be able to hear my entire music collection of about 9,000 songs.  It costs nothing. *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »
You're joking, right?  :) . Ima check it out. I just got done with practice. Hour and a half. Phew. No bad, no bad.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2005, 02:47:04 PM »
Nope. No Joke.  I always wanted to be a DJ!  HAHAHA.....I hope you enjoy.  Once we're done with Charlie Parker in a few hours, I'll be playing about 5 hours of straight Sanborn.

The station doesn't have it's own website yet, but I'm working on it.  We just went on the air about 1 hour ago.  Still have lots to do.  Jingles, advertising, etc.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2005, 03:19:26 PM »
Oh here I was thinking it was YOUR works.  :) . Oh that's awesome. Come on, throw in a few G's for me :wink: . Nah, ya don't have to if ya don't wanna. Well, ima busy so ima rock and roll.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2005, 03:44:31 PM »
BAMS!!! It's not working :cry:  :cry:  :cry: . Says sumtin about you put the wrong address and blah blah blah blah all that computer techno crapola.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2005, 03:50:11 PM »
That's odd?  I've got a friend listening to it now.  Are you double clicking on my station from the big white list of stations that shows up?  You can also see my station if you search on the website under "Jazz"
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2005, 04:13:51 PM »
:evil:  :evil: I tried downloading the 'software' needed to listen to the station, DON'T WORK. GGRRRR. I'll try it tomorrow. I'm sure you're pumping out some good tunes. Keep em' coming!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2005, 06:23:11 AM »
Don't give up too easy.  I've already got one loyal fan in Chicago!  *laugh*

I'm pushing a very high quality, stereo stream, so when you do connect, it ought to sound very good.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline savageT

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2005, 08:06:49 AM »
....Been enjoying the chatter.  Now, if you want to hear what the ole fella used to do????
I started back in the 40's on hawaiian guitar lessons and progressed to 6 string steel and eventually to a 10 string Gibson lap steel when my teacher said, ENOUGH!  'Bout that time, Rock n Rock started in with Bill Haley and the Comets and I wanted to get on board, so Dad bought me a little Martin acoustic for about $95 in 1954 I guess.  I was doing fine with a new teacher when some fella calls me up to join his dance combo and the rest is history. Playing weekend gigs ever since.  Soon after joining a band, I soon realized that I needed an electric guitar so dear ole dad came through again with a slightly used Fender Telecaster for about $100!....wish I still had that one!!!!  All through high school I played in local bands and performed with Dad playing back-up on tenor guitar in hospitals and nursing homes.  About that time my teacher asked if I wanted to do some teaching steel guitar up in the north contry around Camden NY...my poor father agreed and dragged me about 1 hour each way!
Kind of lost contact with music during my Air Force years but the little Martin followed me to every party in the barracks and beaches of Cape Cod. When I came back to Syracuse in 1965 as a civilian, I really wanted back-in to the local music scene so in the interim, I started classical guitar lessons and bought a nice spanish made classic guitar and (God Forbid) I traded in the old Martin for.....a moment of silence, please.  Wait there's more...some time after that I started playing locally again and always yearned for an accoustic-electric Gibson jazz guitar to replace the Tele.  Well I hooked up with a musician in New York City who had a Gibson "Johnny Smith" w/ dbl. pickups like new and traded with him for my '54 Telecaster and a bunch of $$$$.  After a few years playing the Johnny Smith and fighting the feed-back, I eventually traded it with another guitar player for a new Telecaster Thin-Line w/ humbuckers which I still have today.  Later years I got into playing Fender Precision bass '64 and still have that today.
For amplifiers, I had a Twin-Reverb Fender that I used for years with the original Tele, and replaced it with a B12XT Ampeg which I have also. The tube amps were the best.  I also have a solid-state 15" mini-brute, and Kustom III Bass Amp.
Still have Dad's old 1948 Martin Tenor Guitar and my Gibson 10string Steel.  Today, I try to play a few chords on my cheap acoustic flat-top, but the RA is making it tough!  Stay Young!

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline JPSaxMan

Some pics of my lovelies
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2005, 02:02:43 PM »
SavageT, I guess we didn't scare off all the string pickers  :) . Nice to hear that you're trekking on.

BamBams, I got a present for ya. I took pics of my two saxes. The first one is my alto, the Armstrong (no it ain't haunted that I'm aware of  :-D ). Notice the last picture is something up towards the neck; not sure wut it is, but it don't look good :? .

Second set of pics is my tenor sax. Bundy II (by Selmer). You'll see why I wanna get a new tenor.

Hope ya like em. Enjoy!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2005, 03:03:51 PM »
WOW!  NICE PILLOW!  harharhar.....

I'm jealous....not because of the pillow, but because you own TWO saxes!
Those are some nice instruments.  I'm not seeing what you were trying to show me on the last picture.  The tenor looks fine to me?  Maybe if I stare at it more?  The "thing" near the neck on the Alto looks to be an octave chimney from here.  It's hard for me to tell with just one picture though.  If you take off the neck, and look down the tube, does this "thing" intrude into the tube also?  If so, it's probably the chimney.

Here's another for you:
"Oh Danny Boy" on St. Patrick's Day.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2005, 03:24:39 PM »
Who's in the pic? Is dat you?

Uhh...I meant the last the picture of the alto (so that's the fourth picture down). The close up pic. It's kinda like a discoloration. I pray it's not rust or anything :cry: . The tenor was actually given to me by a friend who was moving and didn't want it anymore (sucker  :twisted: ). So I got a free tenor. But, it's got plenty of wear and it's own blemishes. Time for a REAL SAX :P .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2005, 05:20:12 PM »
Yep, that's your's truly.

I wouldn't consider him a sucker.  Actually, I'd consider him an even better friend! *smiles*

It could be some type of corrosion on tha Alto? Have you tried buffing it down?  If the laquer is worn off already, then some Flitz won't hurt it.   I doubt it's rust though.  Is it reddish in color?  I'm not one to worry about every little scratch on a sax.  To me, the wear and tear (as long as it's normal wear and tear) just give the instrument more character and history.  The laquered saxes start to tarnish as soon as the laquer wears off.  That's why I like the gold plated, or silver plated horns.  Nowadays, they are also nickel plating them.  The older the sax gets, the more the wear and tear can tell me how it was played and cared for.  I don't really care for dents though, but I suppose that's unavoidable in many cases.

If you want to give that Tenor away to someone who can appreciate it, when you get your new one, don't forget about me!  *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »
I've never had it looked at to be refurb'd, so I might do that

Well, I don't think I updated ya, but I'm getting my Selmer in a black laquer if and when I get the funds to start makin monthly payments. I decided against the matte laquer only b/c it might add too much of an antiqued look. Silver, nah. Regular laquer, nah. So the black is what's in. Oh, here's a pic.

Nice, no? That's exactly what mine will look like (except I'm getting the Series II, not III).  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2005, 05:34:40 PM »
Now that's a beauty!  Is there any place that you can play test one?  Are you thinking of getting it from Woodwind & Brasswind?  Their prices are pretty good.  Another place that most folks don't seem to know about is Muncy Winds.  They've got a great catalog, and everything they do is geared toward woodwinds.  I ordered a reed trimmer from them a few months ago, and they were super nice to me on the phone, and delivered sooner than expected.  They do not publish their instrument prices, but will quote over the phone and compete with anyone else.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2005, 05:37:01 PM »
My one friend (who happens to be a band director) told me I'd have to go to Boston, Philadelphia, or New York to test play one (that's in locality to me anyway). I originally found the sax of WWBW. Nice site indeed. I'll have to check out that other one. Any less price at this point is something I could really use.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »
Well, to me, it's like buying a new Ferrari.  Even if I had to drive an hour or two to test drive it, I would.  With saxes , there can be a difference in how identical models sound from one to the next as you know.  I was at a pawn shop a few weeks ago looking for drums for my kid and saw an old Martin alto hanging on the wall.  It lived a good life, but alas, now it's permanently dead - and they still wanted about $200 for it.  What a rip off.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2005, 10:03:05 AM »
What do you mean by 'dead'? What's happened to it that's it unplayable? And I suppose $200 isn't that bad if it can be fixed up maybe.

Well here's my problem with driving to Philadelphia. I have no time to spend 6 hours in just DRIVING to and from the city. So...err....yea. I don't think NY is much more closer and Boston is 6 hours one way from here. So forget it  :( . Oh well, I'm dying for that sax. Literally...*gasp, cough* oh, there's a picture of it. I'm revived. For a lil while  :roll: .  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2005, 10:53:55 AM »
Alright, another factor. I've found that if I wanna get the Series III, it's only $300 more and it looks like the Series III has a lil more to offer than the II. Go here to check it out. I sware, as soon as $$$ is avaliable, it's mine  :grin: . Still gettin it in the black laquer. Just a more to my advantage this way.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2005, 02:39:13 PM »
The Martin was "dead" because it would have needed a complete overhaul, and that cost would easily exceed the value of the horn.  That's the problem with cheaper horns - when they wear down, the overhaul cost often exceeds the purchase price for one that is already playable.  A decent overhaul on an Alto runs $600 - $700.  A complete restoration can run $1500.00.  Some horns are worth spending the "fix-up" money on, and some just aren't.

I'd make that 6 hour drive!  But that's just me, and I do love driving. Problem is, I can't always afford to make the trips that I want.

If you're gonna spend the big bucks, you might as well go for the Series III.  You'd probably be happier in the long run.  In my opinion, the Series III is probably going to sound much better because of the brass alloy and the fact that the bore is the MK IV design.  I'm pretty sure the raised palm keys would be very nice also.  My horn has the keys close to the body like most older horns.

It's interesting to me how saxophone quality declined over the years, and now these companies expect us to pay big bucks for a return to that quality.  It's like paying extra for what used to be "standard."  This is precisely why I'm a fan of the vintage horns.....but that's another soap box, so I'll avoid standing on it.......for now.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2005, 04:37:58 PM »
Ah come on, ya can jump up and down on that soap box!  :)

I might get my alto re-laquered (if that's possible). The neck as some wearing away as well and I'd like to keep it in mint condition (in reasonable means). Then of course when I have money, after the Selmer tenor, will come two Selmer alto's. That's right, TWO. I wanna get the Model 64, then the La Voix. One's a Selmer Paris, the other...well...all I know is that it's made out of red brass (warmer sound). Then after that a soprano then that's it. NO MORE. I ain't gonna go broke!  :)  :-D . That'll prolly take a while, but it'll be worth the wait.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
Here is one GREAT tenor for about $300.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=620&item=3781892912&rd=1

okay....a little soap boxing......but these are just my amateurish opinions, and not meant to offend anyone.  I'm convinced that the last good horn made was the Selmer MK VI because that is what my repair tech says, and he's seen ALOT of horns.  He's in a position to know.  I'll take it a step further and say that even some MK VIs can sound like crap.  I think my horn sounds better than a MK VI.  The whole MK VI thing is more a publicity thing than a reality thing - but it's still a dang good horn - one of the very best made.

Anyway, from the horns that I've fondled and play tested, the older ones generally have a better sound to them.  Exactly why, I do not know, but I prefer that sound.  Also, the quality is usually there.  They don't bang up as easily, and they seem to last forever if taken care of. When I see a good, used vintage horn - anything from the late 1950's on back, I see a horn that I can buy for $100's instead of thousands that will blow the pants off of most modern horns.  The early horns were all hand made and not mass produced.  MUCH more attention to the minor details was given to them during manufacture. Defective horns rarely saw daylight back then.

Back then, there wasn't any such thing as student, intermediate, or advanced horns.  Everyone played the same thing, so even the student had the potential to sound and play as good as any professional.  The whole student, int, advanced thing was just an attempt by instrument companies to extract even more money out of people.  This started happening around the 1960's. About the same time that automobiles started turning into aluminum cans as well.

The tricky part for people who think like me is finding the "right" vintage horn at the right price.  It usually takes a lot of effort and time to make it all come out right.  Or, like me, you can find your true love when you're least expecting it, but that's the exception and not the rule.  

Unless one goes back to pre-1920's, the good horns are not limiting you in any meaningful way.  It's more a matter of ergonomics.  The body adapting to a few less keys, and a few less "easy to play" options.  That's why some people say that the best horn is the one you learned to play on.  You get used to what you've got, and you can get darn good with it.  Just listen to the old players and then come back and tell me if pro saxophonists are able to play better today than they were back then.  To my ears, modern technology may have made playing a little easier, but certainly not any better.

With all the modern technology out there today and the great selection of mouthpieces, accessories, etc.  There is a trend for muscians to try and "fix" their problems by spending more and more money on changes to their setups.  It is my belief that unless something is majorly wrong, that's the wrong way to go.  Back in the old days, the horn and mouthpiece you first got, was usually what you were stuck with for many many years.  That didn't hold back all those poor guys from across the rail road tracks did it? Some of these guys today will buy a sax just because it showed up on the front page of some magazine with Phil Woods holding it and smiling.  They want to impress their peers.

For me, playing the sax is a "hand in glove" situation where the musician and the instrument must eventually become "one" rather than trying to sound better by tossing out a perfectly good sax and spending many thousands on the latest - which is probably not even the greatest.  Unless that familiarity is breeding contempt, I see no reason for a musician to spend more money on a different instrument.

A main thing also is focusing on a horn with known intonation quality.  Again, it all takes research, time, etc.  There were some back then that were hard to get into tune, but there were also plenty that have a reputation for more solid output than many of the newer horns.  A guy like me has to become educated on that.

....well....that's about it for now.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2005, 06:18:03 AM »
If I'm not messing around with a rifle or a pistol, or reloading ammo for one of them, you will probably find me with a guitar in hand.  I played various instruments in dance bands for years, guitar is just my current musical endeavor.  Firearms however, remain my primary interest, hobbywise that is.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2005, 10:15:34 AM »
What kind of guitar do you play?  Electric, acoustic?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2005, 04:11:28 PM »
Winman, great to hear you're one of us, so to say. Not to throw ya off, Ima get to BamBams here.

Quote from: BamBams
okay....a little soap boxing......but these are just my amateurish opinions, and not meant to offend anyone.  I'm convinced that the last good horn made was the Selmer MK VI because that is what my repair tech says, and he's seen ALOT of horns.  He's in a position to know.  I'll take it a step further and say that even some MK VIs can sound like crap.  I think my horn sounds better than a MK VI.  The whole MK VI thing is more a publicity thing than a reality thing - but it's still a dang good horn - one of the very best made.

Sounds fair enough. I can believe it b/c Candy Dulfer and David Sanborn use the Mark VI.

Anyway, from the horns that I've fondled and play tested, the older ones generally have a better sound to them.  Exactly why, I do not know, but I prefer that sound.  Also, the quality is usually there.  They don't bang up as easily, and they seem to last forever if taken care of. When I see a good, used vintage horn - anything from the late 1950's on back, I see a horn that I can buy for $100's instead of thousands that will blow the pants off of most modern horns.  The early horns were all hand made and not mass produced.  MUCH more attention to the minor details was given to them during manufacture. Defective horns rarely saw daylight back then.

I hear almost the same thing with CARS. Newer cars today suck as opposed to earlier years. We might progress/regress back into the day of where quality equaled quantity as well

For me, playing the sax is a "hand in glove" situation where the musician and the instrument must eventually become "one" rather than trying to sound better by tossing out a perfectly good sax and spending many thousands on the latest - which is probably not even the greatest.  Unless that familiarity is breeding contempt, I see no reason for a musician to spend more money on a different instrument.

I think that's part true. Plus the fact if you spend a given amount of time (months, maybe) with any instrument you'll know it and love it and etc. and you'll sound awesome. Great thing called practice... :wink:

Well, there's my 'soap boxing' for the nite. :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2005, 04:14:14 PM »
Wowsers. There's the sixth page for this topic. Better not show GB or he might lock it b/c we're taking up too much space  :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline Robert

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2005, 06:19:09 AM »
BamBams..Is there some software that I can download from the internet for full length recording, or do I have to purchase a disk? Either way...what is a good 'user freindly' program?  It  was one of my primary goals when I first got a computer, to work on music and share thoughts and songs with other people.  I think it would be cool to be able to send my song to someone, and have it sent back to me with that person playing their part on my song.
....make it count

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2005, 09:43:32 AM »
Robert, I use Adobe Audition.

I kinda 'pirated' it off BearShare (sshhh :wink: ), but it records full length, never ending, bottomless pit, you get the picture. Plus you can add effects and etc. to your sound. Hope it helped.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #179 on: February 11, 2005, 11:20:54 AM »
Robert, I have a free program you can use.  Give me a little time, and I'll try and put it up on the Internet for you so you can download it.  It's actually very nice.
NRA Handgun Instructor