Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17610 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2005, 11:59:12 AM »
Okay, I put it up there for ya.  If you don't like it, let me know, because I might have some others you can use as well.

Here is the link to download it, and I'll PM you with the password to extract the zip file.

http://dopey.hopto.org/emmettw/robert.zip
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »
BamBams, we once discussed Otto Link metal mouthpieces.

I think I'm going to get one as soon as I can get to a music store and when I can get $120 to blow in it. This of course was after I talked to my friend. The reason why, he said anyway, alto player's don't like the Otto Link is because it is STRICTLY a solo mouthpiece. Way too loud for ensemble/orchestra work. Well, maybe it won't hurt in a jazz band where it doesn't hurt if ya stand out a lil bit. So when I get that, I'll continue to use my plastic one until I can get a Selmer S80 Rubber. Still a good jazz mouthpiece, but I'd obviously put it to work more in my orchestra/whatever use. I like the looks of that Otto Link.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »
Well that does make a lot of sense fish.  It does have a round chamber which would make it have more punch than most classical mouthpieces.

Take a hard look at the facings though.  The facing size is going to determine just how much punch and edge you'll wind up with.  I can tell you that my 5* has a very solid sound with very little edge to it.  

One thing you may not care for on the Otto Link is the ligature it comes with.  It's kind of hard to get used to centering the reed with it.  In my case, I contact cemented some goatskin to the plate that holds the reed down, and this worked out fantastic for me.  It even improved my sound.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2005, 02:13:03 PM »
Oh, you have an Otto? Nice. That's why ima go to a music store. To test out the tips and w/e to see how it sounds. And maybe try other mouthpieces besides Otto. I've heard Meyer makes a good one. Selmer is too expensive for me. Plus I don't think Selmer's are the best in mouthpieces. Eh, we'll wut rolls down the hill.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2005, 02:16:17 PM »
I've heard a lot of good things about Morgan mouthpieces lately.  In fact, if I decide at some point to get another mouthpiece, that's where I plan to start my search.

The Meyers are good also.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2005, 04:09:28 PM »
Morgan? I'll look them up. My friend also mentioned Meyers. I'll guess I'm gonna look into them too. Worth to research before ya buy, right?  :)  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2005, 05:48:21 AM »
Well, Bams, I looked up both Morgan and Meyer. My friend did not mention Morgan (mebe not well known enough?) but the Meyers are somewhat cheaper and have an excellent reputation, so when I get my Otto metal, soon after I'll get me a Meyer. Well, wait a sec, after I get my tenor I'm gonna get a Otto metal for that then I'll get the two for the alto.

By the way, my tenor plan changed again. AARRRGGHH, I hate shopping! Plans always change!  :-D Ever heard of the Selmer LaVoix? Well, WWBW has a tenor LaVoix for $1,449. That's cheaper than the $3,779 I was gonna pay for the Selmer III. And if it's Selmer and it has a French name on, chances are it's a deriviative of the Selmer Paris. The description actually says it's supposed to reflect the qualities of the older vintage horns (due to it's red brass content). Interesting...different looking horn still. Could get it in silver or black lacquer, but the black laquer I think would look weird with red (red brass) keys and I think silver, well, just more expense I don't need. I'll save the silver plated for my soprano  :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2005, 06:35:52 AM »
The brass really isn't going to look red.  It will look about normal.  *smiles*

Why do I get this feeling you're waiting for your tax return? HAHAHA
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2005, 06:58:14 AM »
DEFINETLY waiting for the tax return.  :)  Here's a pic of the LaVoix alto. Now of course it'll look like this, just in tenor form  :P .  :D

JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2005, 07:11:54 AM »
Man Fish, this one is way purtier than the first one you were looking at!  Gosh, I'm drooling!  I would love to know what it sounds like - either Alto, or Tenor.  You dog!  I wish my tax return was bigger this year!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2005, 07:26:43 AM »
Ya mean tha matte tenor? Or the black laquer? I still wanna get a Selmer Paris horn (maybe that'll be my soprano) in a black laquer. But I couldn't imagine a black laquer sax in that 'red brass', could you?

Well Bams, when I do get my tax return, I'm gonna lease this horn. WWBW has it for $50/month. That's manageable, definetly. Come on, if we can both get one we can start a lil online jazz ensemble. LOL.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2005, 07:43:56 AM »
I prefer the reddish brass, to anything black.  That's just my personal taste though.

Tryin' to tempt me huh?  Well, you'd have more success if I wasn't already convinced that my old Buescher will blow away a Selmer MK VI.  *smiles*

Keilworth makes horns with a reddish gold plating.  I've never seen one in person, but I bet they look gorgeous.  I am aware that they have a rather unique sound, as players always seem to say that about Keilworth. Their quality runs very high too - along with the price.  Made someplace in Germany.

Seriously though, me and my horn are inseparable at the moment.  I wouldn't ever sell it.   I've tried a few other horns, and nothing even comes close.

I'm even toying with the idea of buying a second Buescher as a parts backup just in case something even gets broken on mine.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2005, 07:53:33 AM »
Oh heck I ain't askin ya to sell it. However, Selmer's Reference alto might be the ultimate test to that Buescher. Anyway...I now have a decent clarinet recording of my 'interpretation' of Kenny G's "Forever in Love" (an excerpt from it). Let me know how to post the recording (or PM it, whatever) and I think you'll like it.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2005, 07:56:49 AM »
How big is the file?  If it's not too big, you can email it to me, otherwise, you'll have to upload it someplace on the Internet, and then point me to it so I can download it from there.

I'll PM you my email address.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2005, 08:27:51 AM »
Got it. Thanx! I'll forwarn you, there is a spot in the beginning where I squeak (squeak, squak, whatever ya wanna call it :) ). But other than that it's a fairly good recording. Here's the details. I recorded in my living room away from the mic with an Artley clarinet and a Selmer GoldenTone mouthpiece (3 chambering) with Vandoren 2&1/2 reeds.
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2005, 10:04:10 AM »
I got it just fine!  Thank you for sharing it.  It sounds very good too!
I did catch that one squeak - but hey, it's a Clarinet. *smiles*

I'm smiling because I can tell you enjoyed playing that piece as much as I'm enjoying listening to it.

I guess it's my turn now?  Give a couple days okay?  By the way, my email can handle attachments up to 10mb - so if you ever want to share a long one, go for it.

What we need is some accompaniment now!

This is going to be so much fun Fish!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2005, 10:12:50 AM »
*Grins from ear to ear*. Thanx Bams. I think it's terrible listening to it myself, but that's like listening to your own voice. You think it sounds awful but no one else minds. What I have to do is pull out my tenor (prolly Wednesday) and record "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" I got recently. Then you'll see the silver lining to my cloud  :P . Actually I'm going to send you a longer recording of something I made up myself. It involves a keyboarded flute and my digeridoo. A digeridoo is an Australian wind instrument that's more or less a tube (you can make one out of PVC pipe if you wish) and you play it like a really loose trumpet. You'll hear it in the recording. Hope ya enjoy that one too!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2005, 10:47:17 AM »
Just finished listening to that one.  It was almost hypnotic.  I listened to it before I read your post down here.  My brain was thinking, "what is that?" Is that his Clarinet? HAHAHA!  I guess the joke is on me.

Anyway, I really liked to "style" of that one.  It's somewhat close to the type of melody lines I enjoy playing.  It flowed freely. I'd say that's where it's at for you.

Okay, I'm inspired.  I just started soaking my reed.  I'll be 10-7 for a couple of hours.

Thanks again.  I just can't wait to make some to share also.  My mic needs a new battery.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2005, 11:05:51 AM »
Bams, do you want some of my other recordings? They're the 'screechy' ones I've talked about. I figger if ya turn down the speakers, and ignore the fuzz, you might enjoy them. Ah heck I'll send em. If ya don't like em', just delete em' and chew me out later  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2005, 11:39:06 AM »
Nah...please spare me the screechy stuff! *laughing*

We can make new ones.

Okay, I just emailed you a recording of me goofing around to test everything out on my end.  Let me know how it sounds on your system.  If all goes well, I'll record something more tomorrow.

I also put it up here, if that's easier for you:

http://dopey.hopto.org/emmettw/performance.mp3
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2005, 11:46:42 AM »
Eh, I sent em. As I said, you can delete them AFTER you listen to them first.  :)

They're not screechy like nails on a chalkboard. WAY milder. Just a very annoying fuzz, unclear sound. That be all. Nothing more. There's only one that's clear but even that one has some fuzz in the background. Time for a new soundcard. Ttyl.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2005, 01:15:54 PM »
Okay, just finished listening to them all.  I can't tell if it's a mic or soundcard issue.  If it was me, I'd start with the soundcard and go from there.

It seems like you've got an awful of air moving through that sax.  You must have very powerful lungs.  *smiles*  

Oh...would you like me to post your music here, so that others can enjoy it also?  I'd be glad to.

I've never used adobe audition.  Does it mix tracks very well?  I'm trying to figure out how to get a CD accompaniment mixed with my sax.  I don't think my mic is going to do such a hot job of recording the accompaniment (in the background) along with the sax because my mic just clips onto the sax bell.  I'm thinking I'll have to play the song, and then add the accompaniment later.

Have you done this yet?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2005, 01:26:20 PM »
Well, I think it can be done. All ya do (in Audition) is record multiple tracks, then play them all at once and save them as a session and then can save the file as an mp3.

You didn't say if you liked the recordings? :?

Did you get the #2 recording? That was the one I wanted ya to hear.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2005, 01:50:05 PM »
Well, if you want a critique, I'll do my best for ya :)  Just don't get mad at me okay?

On the #2 recording:

I didn't get a sense of any rhythm.  To me, it sounded like there was an absence of meter to follow throughout the piece.  Was this played from sheet music?  What was the time of the piece?

I would also work more on attack while practicing some long tones using a tonguing technique to stop and start the tones more cleanly and evenly.

Other than those things, yes, I enjoyed listening to it.

I having a blast listening to your recordings.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »
Ah heck I ain't gonna get mad at ya.

I actually had to laugh when u critiqued my #2 recording. Reason could be there was no rhythm and whatever else was missing was because it was my own song :) . I made it up. And in the end I did stall some and did cause me to get off beat. Sorry bout that.

I'll keep honkin and tapin. You do da same.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2005, 03:08:02 PM »
Wheww....that's a relief.  I am always reluctant to critique someone else's work because I never know if they are going to take it constructively or just get offended.

I'm going to try and record a song for ya tomorrow if I can.  I've got a busy schedule tomorrow, so we'll have to see what happens.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2005, 03:19:34 PM »
Yea, no problem. After doin it for years, I take GOOD criticism constructively. If I get some young punk tellin me sumtin, I'll tell him...well...this is a family friendly site... :)  :-D

Cool. I'd love to hear it. Hope ya can get to it.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
And maybe not long after the tax return I'll pick this up too. Only $300 of WWBW. Barrington Soprano Sax. The two reviews on it say it's a great horn. Economical too. You pair it up w/ a good mouthpiece and I'm sure you could get a Kenny G sound out of it. You owe me a recording too.  :) I'm not going to be able to record again until Wednesday, so don't expect much.

Not bad, not bad. Looks like a cheap metal, but hey. Whadaya want for $300?  :-D  :D
JP

Offline IntrepidWizard

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2005, 04:38:37 PM »
Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is
a dangerous servant and a fearful master. -- George Washington

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2005, 04:57:17 PM »
Wow :shock:
JP