Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17606 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2005, 11:01:57 AM »
Bams, when I performed my practice session this afternoon, I tried something you might have or should. I took a glass and filled it with water. I then proceeded to soak my reed in the water for about 5 min (you have to try to stick the reed against the glass, otherwise the reed just floats and doesn't absorb water at all). Works nice. Very little squeaking today. And I tried doing the altissimo fingerings. I'm going obsessed with them now. I'm going to ask my friend what kind of luck he had with the altissimo, b/c I can't get past the high F# max-out on my alto. Very frustrutating.... :evil: . Oh well.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2005, 11:08:37 AM »
I always do that.  *smiles*

I use a little shot glass which makes it easier.  Reeds also seem to last longer when they are soaked in water instead of saliva because saliva contains a certain amount of acid.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »
Bams, one thing however. Using your whiskey glass, only soaks the tips of the reeds. They say if you're going to do it, you should soak the whole reed. I get a better sound out of it if I do the whole reed (well, most of it anyway). Just my :money:.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2005, 02:05:23 PM »
I play guitar and have for a while (Like 8 years).  I had a band while I was in the Army, and I also played in a church band for about a year.  I have also DJ'd alot.  I concentrate mostly on Trance and breakbeats, some house.

SAW
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2005, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm tellin ya, we really need to get a GB band goin!  :) . Don't look at me to sing, NO WAY! Bams, you can have lead alto. I'll take lead tenor and maybe second alto if need be. SAWgunner and Mag41Vance, you guys can be our string pickers and maybe SAW can do some vocals while he's at it.  :roll: . We can make the "Graybeard Outdoors Theme Song". This way whenever someone enters the site they get greeted by nice music. And we won't do Kenny G, since too many people dislike his style. How bout some Sanborn? We'll have to find some with guitar and base for our string pickers.  :-D  :-D   :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2005, 03:20:46 PM »
We're still short a drummer though?  I think GB himself should be the lead vocal if we did some tracks here.  *smileS*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2005, 03:33:47 PM »
WANTED
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
                                    Drummer for GBO Band
                                 Must have 20 years experience
                                           Pay is great
                                            Lots of fun
                                           Apply within
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »
Take a new reed and give it a good soaking, then lay it flat on the counter and rub it with the back of a spoon to seal up the pores.  I've done this since I learned the trick (I don't remember when) and the reed takes much less wetting to get started again.  Sometimes I only get a chance to blow some moist air over it (in the mouthpiece) before I start playing.  I play in my church praise band and the flow of the service almost never allows a proper warm up.  I don't know if it makes the reeds last longer, but I have played for several years on the same reed and it just plays better as time goes on.  I need to break in another reed for a spare though, I'm flirting with disaster because my old leaky horn absolutely will not behave with a new reed (alto btw).  Oh, this spoon trick also smoothes up the reed and makes a new one less rough on your bottom lip.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2005, 04:33:51 PM »
Great advice Curtis!  Thanks.

Have you ever tried the plastic reeds? I have, but I don't care for the way they sound very much.  They project well, but something is just missing in the harmonics.

What brand of horn are you playing on?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »
Plastic reeds...I think those are the ones I played when I was in like 5th grade eons ago...great ability to be able to blow on them...but they don't project very much. I use cane reeds for that reason. Frederick Hempke's on the alto and on the tenor...using Rico's for now but when I get the LaVoix will prolly use Vandorens. But this is just MHO.

Curtis...very interesting advice...I might just have to try it. Always pays to have a good tip or two. Jam on guys!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2005, 04:48:42 PM »
As best as I can remember, the plastic reeds came out in the late 1980's and were actually pretty popular with people who were in Curtis' predicament - ie, no warm up time between sets.

I'm surprised you didn't think they project well.  If I throw a bari plastic reed on my mouthpiece, my volume seems to go up about a third.

I'm using Vandoren ZZs these days.  I've tried a few others, but these work best on my mouthpiece.  I am curious about the Alexander Superial reeds, so maybe next time, I'll buy a box of those.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2005, 05:04:05 PM »
Bam Bams, no I never tried plastic ones.  Sounds like a reed only a mother could love LOL.  My horn is a Vito LeBlanc, vintage 1974.  I have test driven several nice horns (mainly when the dealer is trying to talk me out of spending any money on my old horn) but I love the sound I get with my Wolfe Tayne jazz mouthpiece and this horn.  Also I know all of its little quirks.  Even though there are several tones that require work, controlling intonation is automatic I've been with this horn for so long.  I really need a pad job to seal up the leaks and probably an overhaul to take all the play out of the keys.  I've got to find a dealer that won't try to talk me out of putting money in this old thing though!

Fishman, I've been using the Vandorens for the last 6 or 7 years.  I tried one of the Java series Vandoren reeds (dealer compliments when he was trying to get me to drop $2500 on a new horn LOL) but they played hard in my horn and the sound was too brassy.  My mouthpiece is brassy enough so I don't need more brassy.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2005, 05:19:57 PM »
No...I take that part back about me bein in 5th grade...that was sumtin else...I had a senior moment there :eek:  :) . I was aiding my friend in teaching a group of saxes (he's a band director @ a HS). They were 7th graders, fresh from the ES. There were two or three of them playin on these plastic reeds. He demonstrated how they're easier to play on, but their projection and volume were terrible. However, these plastic reeds I remember were black. Rico Royal plastics? Dunno...but yea...I wouldn't use them again...except for clarinet maybe. Since I could use all the leinancy possible with that :-D . Eh, I might buy a Bari just to see how it does. Who knows?

I've always liked Vandorens, I prefer the Hempke's on the alto (Armstrong) and my Bundy II likes anything ya attach to it... :P . Let's hope my LaVoix (future) is as leinant...I doubt it b/c it's a Selmer, but who knows?  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2005, 06:06:25 PM »
Those old Vitos were good horns, so I can understand your attachment to it.  My horn is about 80 years old, and as far as I'm concerned, we're together for life.  I do need to get a back-up horn though.  Maybe an old Aristocrat or something?

It's really hard to find a good repair tech.  In my area, there is nobody qualified to work on my horn anymore, so I'd have to ship it out to one or two guys I know out of state who have great reputations.  If you'd like some contact information, just let me know and I'll share.

I'm kinda taken back by the fact that you can get a reed to last so long.  I seem to wear out a reed every few weeks.  I usually rotate through 4 reeds a week which seems to help them last longer.  If I'm going to perform, I always know which of those four is going to sound the best.

I was pretty fortunate on the reed search this last time around.  I only went through a few different kinds before I found a good match with my mouthpiece.  The time before that, I had real troubles.  I've never tried the Java, but I am aware that many pros use them.

With the plastic reeds, I've had to re-work them to get good performance.  They come in three strengths.  Soft, med, hard - but never just right.  Like I alluded to earlier, you'll lose a bunch of partials with those, but I never took to them.  I'd rather just carry around my shot glass and let everyone think I have a drinking problem.  *laugh*

Sanborn keeps his reeds in a mason jar.  I use an old eyeglass case with a cigar humidifier inside of it.  This helps prevent warping and it takes less time to soak them.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #254 on: March 07, 2005, 01:16:58 AM »
Heck, I've used one reed for months at a time. I seem to almost get a better sound out of them that way. More free blowing, aged, kind of nice almost to an extent. Of course in that time you have knicks, cracks, etc.  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #255 on: March 07, 2005, 01:21:21 AM »
Bam Bams, maybe the spoon thing does make a difference in longevity.  Like Fishman said, saliva breaks down the fibers and maybe sealing up that end helps to keep it out.  In my early days (grade 7 through college) most of my reeds met an untimely demise due to carelessness.  Since I picked the horn up again about ten years ago I've been really careful with them since it takes a while to get one playing easy.  Also, I have an aluminum reed guard (holds 4 reeds) that I keep my reed(s) in.  I have never bought a box of reeds and all of the ones I have now including the one I've been playing on for the last two years or so are freebies that I got when I test drove that new horn.  Try the spoon trick and see if it makes a difference.  I'd like to know what to credit my long reed life with.

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #256 on: March 08, 2005, 03:34:26 AM »
Well once again, I have learned more about saxmanship. I was visiting my friend yesterday, and I took home a Hempke tenor reed. Well, maybe I was wrong when I said you could slap anything on it. I soaked it in water for maybe 5 minutes, and when I played it I got a stiff sound. I've been using these. Have you fellas ever used em? What do you think of them? I always thought of these as the economical, junk reeds, but maybe not so. Either that or they're just the right ones for my current setup.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #257 on: March 08, 2005, 04:16:15 AM »
Fish:  I haven't used those reeds since I was a student playing a Bundy II back in the 1980s.  From what I can remember, they were "okay" and inexpensive at first, but then as the years rolled on, I found that less and less of them were "okay."

Hey Curtis:  Remember when a GREAT reed only cost about $.79?  Gosh, not anymore!

Okay, now Mr. Anal Retentive is about to chime in again.........

Well, here's the problem.  In my experience, you cannot judge the quality of a certain brand of reed from using just one.  When I buy reeds, I buy them in boxes of 10.  They are about 50% cheaper that way also. I soak and play test each one.  With my Vandorens, I know that I'll usually wind up rejecting at least 2 or 3 of them.  This doesn't mean Vandorens are bad.  I've had other brands where I've rejected many more than that.

Now to toss in some other variables.  Reed should be broken in correctly to obtain the most longevity.  Why?  It's because they start out life rather stiff (but there are exceptions) and you don't want to vibrate them too much when they are new and stiff.  I know from experience that this will shorten their life.  I will only play a brand new reed for five minutes the first time around.  Sometimes only 20 minutes the second time around.  I usually don't worry about the second time around though.  It just depends.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a Rico size #2 is not the same hardness are a Vandoren size #2.  Different companies measure reed hardness differently.  A Vandoren size #2 is about about the same as a Rico size 2 1/4.  It gets even more complicated when you add in some other brands of reeds.

I agree with Curtis about the spoon trick.  What he's doing, is sealing up the pores on the reed.  The same thing can be done using your thumb also.  Just stroke the reed toward the tip a few dozen times while it is wet.  It will make the reed last much longer.  It will also help to keep it flat as it dries out.  I also stroke them in this manner each time I put them away.  I never let my reeds dry out 100%.  I live in a very dry climate that is hard on reeds.  This is why I use the cigar humidifier.

The reed you tried may be salvageable.  If I have a reed that is too stiff, I will use 400 wet/dry sandpaper very carefully to remove a little from certain parts of it.  If I have a reed that is too soft, I will use my reed trimmer on it.  Modifying reeds is an art that requires some practice, and knowing the anatomy of the reed -  ie the vamp, the heart, etc.  A reed can be broken down into about 7 different areas.  Modifying any one of them, or a combination of them, can give a variety of predictable results. Reeds are seldom the perfect hardness right out of the box.  Just like hands and gloves, they have to be broken in, at least, for the right fit.  Sometimes that also requires a little modification.  But hey, it's your money as they say.

I've never seen a mouthpiece that can work well with any reed.  When I get a new mouthpiece, I will first pick a brand of reed that has a reputation for quality. I will then try about 3 different sizes of reed from that brand to narrow things down more.

Now Rico makes some reeds that are good, and some that are notoriously bad also.  You get what you pay for.  Again, this is from MY experience, and the experiences of others who I am familiar with.  With Rico, you get what you pay for.  The Rico "Select Jazz" are considered to be pretty good.  I have a few of those here, but the Vandorens definitely blow them away - especially when new.  In my opinion, if there is a cheap a$$ Rico that is working well on your horn, there is probably a Vandoren that will work even better, but you haven't found it yet.  *laugh*

I'm still amazed that Curtis can get a year out of a reed.  I'm not saying I don't believe him.  I have heard of people doing this, but then again, they usually say it's rare - even for them.  The most I've ever gotten out of a reed was several months.  The norm for me is about 2 weeks.  I play at least 2-3 hours every single day, so that may have something to do with it also?  Or maybe I'm just a little more fussy about my sound than most folks?  I can literally hear a reed going downhill on my sax.  I've had reeds go into the trash bin after the 2nd or 3rd playing.  In fact, that is how I discovered the NEED to break them in properly.

Reed quality with the big companies has also gone wayyyy downhill over the years.  Mainly because of the quality of the cane.  Growing good cane is a pain in the butt.  The best cane comes from the "Var" region in France.  Over the last 25 years or so, companies have started getting their cane from elsewhere.  This is because the "Var" region has turned out to also be prime real estate, so the growing fields just keep getting smaller and smaller and the price of the cane keeps going up and up.  So now the big reed companies have turned to Mexican cane - mostly crap, but it's useable, to keep their profit margins up.  This is another reason I'm thinking of trying to switch over to Alexander reeds as a lot of the pros have.

If you want to learn ALOT about reeds, the get yourself a copy of Larry Teal's "The Art Of Saxophone Playing."  That book is worth it's weight in gold and it's inexpensive.  Larry discusses reed modification in depth - and the money you'll save on reeds will more than pay for the book.  Also, if you go to the "Alexander Reeds" web site, he has an article with suggestions on properly breaking in and caring for reeds.  That is also worth the time to read.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #258 on: March 08, 2005, 05:31:02 AM »
Bam Bams, I was thinking about Larry Teal's book when you were talking about tuning reeds because it has a whole section on just that.  Then lo and behold you mentioned that very book at the end of your post.  I've got to dig around and find it again.  I know it's around somewhere.

You are on target to wonder if mileage may be a factor in my reed life.  I have so many different interests, that none of them gets very much of my time.  If God had not placed a desire to serve Him with my horn, it probably would be still collecting dust in the closet like it did for years.  I usually play only a couple of hours per week (praise team practice and Sunday morning service).  Every once in a while our music leader will challenge me enough with the material that I will take my horn home.  LOL, I am not gifted enough to be great, but I AM gifted enough to be LAZY!!!

Curtis

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #259 on: March 08, 2005, 05:33:29 AM »
Geez Bams, you sure sounds mighty experienced for just a bare-bones beginner. Yea, so I was right. Those Rico's are usually meant for the little kiddies who really don't give two cahoots about reed choice and etc. One of these days I'm getting Vandorens. I'm definetly getting them with the new tenor, doing the tax return Thursday (I hope :twisted: ). I'll be putting the order on WWBW that nite and hopefully have the refund check within two weeks. Then when I send the payment to WWBW, hopefully I'll have the tenor in my hands within 2-3 weeks. I have to stop thinking about it, I'm starting to drool again :grin: .

I might have to get a box or two of the Rico Jazz Selects. I too have heard good things about them, and they sound fairly nice. If you go here, you can hear the infamous Miles Osland play on a Selmer Series III and a Selmer Reference 54 alto on the Rico Jazz Select

Well, I just got done putting the horns down, but I think I'll pick em back up shortly.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #260 on: March 08, 2005, 06:24:32 AM »
Curtis,

In the Praise Band, are you doing any solos, or mainly just fill?  What are your favorite songs with the Praise Band?  I'm always looking to try new things, and I used to be a big fan of the Maranatha singers.

Hah!  The first time I read Larry Teal's book, I was afraid to even touch my sax for fear of giving the saxophone a bad name!  Gosh, that guy is so perfectionistic, but I suppose it takes a person like that to bring us the information we need at times?

Fish,

Those Rico's are usually meant for the little kiddies who really don't give two cahoots about reed choice and etc

I'm afraid so my friend.  To tell you otherwise would be to lie to you.

What's a beginner?  Trust me on this, I AM a beginner.  I am reminded of that every time I open up the Bird's "Omnibook."  I guess it just depends on who one chooses to compare himself to?  I dunno, but I do see myself as a beginner for real.  I have this feeling I'll always be a beginner too!  I measure myself against what the pros sound like, and I believe I fall way short of ALL of them - even Kenny G.  HAHA!  In the jazz arena, the learning never ends.  Even ole Charlie Parker didn't reckon himself a jazz expert.  In fact, I don't know a single player who does - or could.  

When you get the new sax, I'd suggest buying about two or three of each type of reed you think "may" work well.  In fact, I'd take the sax down to the store, buy a reed or two, play test them right there, buy another reed or two, play test those, etc.  Then when you find the magic combo, order a box from WWBW.

I just listened to that recording you linked for us.  That Selmer reference model sounds ALOT like my Buescher.  For a second, I thought someone stole my horn again! *laugh*   I'm smiling about that - for reasons I won't dare to share here.

I tried a student model King #613 yesterday at a pawn shop.  YUCK!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #261 on: March 08, 2005, 07:47:29 AM »
OK, I'm looking at reeds on WWBW. Rico Jazz Selects. Filed or Unfiled? Filed seems to be the better choice, or should I just get both and see which one works?

Vandoren V16, Vandoren Java, Vandoren, I think I'll just stick with them three for now. If need be, I'll try Rico and other brands later. But the bill is coming to $1,613.56 with the following things:

Selmer LaVoix Tenor
Vandoren Tenor Reeds
Vandoren Java Tenor Reeds
Vandoren ZZ Tenor Reeds
Selmer Ligiature for Tenor Rubber Mouthpiece
Selmer Cap for Tenor Rubber Mouthpiece
LaVoz Pad Guard
LaVoz Neck Guard
Neotech SaxPac Storage Pouch (for neck and mouthpiece, yes one of these is necessary if you want the lacquer on your neck to stay on...ask my friend who has managed to have absolutely no lacquer peel whatsoever on his Selmer Super Action 80 of two decades+ by cleaning it and puttin his neck in one of those cloth cases on the Crown Royal whiskey bottles)
Selmer Lacquer Polish
Lacquer Polishing Cloth
Hankie Swab for sax

Phew. That's all the stuff I figger I'm gonna need to keep my baby in tip-top shape. And that's what I want. I'm not gonna half-way with this doll. No way JOSE.  :) I'm gettin real excited. Oh boy. I'm dyin now.  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #262 on: March 08, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »
Bam Bams, I mainly either play melody or harmonize background on the hymns we sing.  Sometimes Brett (our leader) will have me do a solo intro.  We usually change the rhythm of the hymns to a sort of jazz or rock beat instead of singing them the traditional way.  Our keyboardist is very talented so she usually does the fill between phrases.  We have a drummer and usually have two or three female background singers.

When we are doing the really new praise songs that I don't know as well I'm usually on bass guitar (I told you I have too many interests lol).  The reason for this is our leader puts these services together very quickly and provides no sheet music except for lead sheets for guitar.  He also has a bad habit of never doing things the same way twice (same set) so we all have to be quick on our feet and watch where he is going at all times.  All of the hymns that we do I know well enough to play by ear on the sax and maybe improvise a little bit.  One problem is the key he chooses usually has me playing in four or five sharps and struggling to keep up, much less anticipate a good spot for improvisation.  Playing bass on the praise songs, if I know the song well I can have some fun and if I don't know the song I can usually still do a basic bass line just by listening for the chord changes and watching Brett's left hand on the neck of his rhythm guitar.

BTW I don't own a bass or claim to be a bassist, Brett bought the bass for the praise team and I volunteered to play (at) it.  A friend at church once asked me how many instruments I play and I told him "I don't know, I have not tried them all". LOL (JOKING!!!!!!)

Curtis

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2005, 08:58:11 AM »
Fish,

I'm not tryin' to put a dent in your shopping spree or anything, but I'd not buy too many reeds until I found the right one.  You may just wind up with a bunch of reeds you don't like.

I am a "frugal" sax player, so here's what I do......

You, or the wife, can make a top notch swab by getting some 100% silk hankies at the local Goodwill, ARC, Salvation Army, or just about any other thrift store.  Then get some nice, nylon cord, some fishing sinkers, and some plasti-dip from the hardware store.  This way, when you wear them swabs out, it only costs about $3.00 to make a new one which is just like the ones they sell for $20.00.

I'd probably pass on the Selmer mouthpiece cap also.  That thing cost about $25.00 - $30.00 don't it?  I'm amazed that they don't just throw it in with their mouthpieces like many other companies do?

And hey, I'm a believer in pouches also, but here's what I do.  I go to Walmart and buy one of those fuzzy sleeping bags that sell for about $7.49.  They come with a draw string already, and one end is already hemmed up for the string. Then I cut it up in little pieces and sew pouches for everything.  My neck, my tuner, my metronome, my mouthpiece, etc.

Be careful with those Lavoz pad guards.  They shed an awful lot of lint.  I would wash it really good before I used it.  The lint can prevent your pads from sealing.  The only time I use a pad guard is if I have to put my sax in the case while it's still wet.  I never use them at home because I leave my sax out in the air in a sax stand I made from wood and felt.

The laquer polishing cloth is just a rag impregnated with silicon.  You can do the same thing by purchasing some car polishing rags and a can of silcone spray lubricant from Walmart.  This will last you forever and give you the same results too!  

Okay, I just saved you over $100.00!  Now you can afford more reeds a Winston case for that new sax!  *laughing*

Curtis:

Sounds like you're having a really good time in the Praise Band.  I know what you are saying about directors!  I think many of us spend the better part of our time trying to work around them.  It's good that you're playing the melody lines.  I'd get kind of bored sitting there waiting to fill in or whatever.  

I'm practicing with hearing cord changes these days.  I just started working through some Jamey Aebersold books, and I'm finding it very difficult to keep up.  He has me going up to high D5, E5, and F5 quite often, and the palm keys on my sax aren't too friendly.  I can run up the scales and hit all those high notes no problem, but when I have to start out on a high E or F, I have trouble getting there.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Japle

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2005, 09:04:56 AM »
Not to interrupt, but........

I played a Christmas gig at an Episcopal church last year on trumpet that was just awful.  We were forced to play so softly that a good tone was out of the question.  I almost felt bad about taking the money and didn’t expect to be asked back.
Now I get a call from a trombone player who’s looking for someone to play 2nd ‘bone at the same church on Good Friday.  The organist remembered that I said I played ‘bone and she recommended me!  
I’ll play the gig, but if two trumpets were too loud, I can’t imagine how three trombones will go over.  
What the heck, the money’s good.

John
Cape Canaveral
John
Cape Canaveral

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2005, 09:08:40 AM »
Well, the hankie is like $3.00, so I ain't gonna go 'frugal' on it. Haha. I knocked of the V16's and the Java's. Keeping the pad guard and the ligiature and the cap. I dunno wut the sax comes with, and I don't wanna open it up and find no ligiature. Plus if the one that comes with ever tends to break, I'll be prepared. And I can keep the reed on the mouthpiece with the cap. Defintely money worth spent.

I did think that about the reeds tho. "Suppose I buy all these boxes of reeds and spend mountains of $$$ on them to find I only like one box? :eek: ". So, I did take some of your advice. And I figure I ain't gonna go cheap on the neck/mouthpiece pouch either. This is my first real doll. I ain't gonna go cheap on her. Think of it like a girlfriend  :) . If you go cheap on her, it ain't gonna last for long :-D .

Ttyl.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #266 on: March 08, 2005, 09:10:25 AM »
John,

I feel your pain. When I had to play in the pit band we had to play muted 99.9 percent of the time. Try hitting a low note with barely any air. I had to go up the octave on some of the notes in order to get a sound out. That was frustruating. But it was fun. Good luck with your gig!  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2005, 11:02:48 AM »
Bams, I'm sending you the freshest recording of my attempt at Ken G and Sanborn "Pick Up the Pieces". It's pretty good...I did some studio stuff...you'll hear it if your patient...I used it to cover up a silly error, and you still might hear it. My CD player bites, and skips at the slightest bump, and the wife slammed a cabinet, and it skipped. Dang nab it. But I tried to cover it up.

Curtis, if you care to join the recording club, send us your email address (PM) and we can swap recordings. Or just send you recordings. Whichever you preffer.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #268 on: March 08, 2005, 12:16:18 PM »
I started working on John Lennon's "Imagine" today -- since you think I'm addicted to the low register.  *smiles*  In fact, I'll have to check, but I don't think there's a single note in the lower register.

Yes Curtis - how bout sharing some of your talent with us?  Actually, it's been a lot of fun for me and Fish to listen to eachother and critique our music.  Fish is much better than Kenny G.

Fish, if you wish, I can make a web page where we can share our recordings and people can click on them.  Let me know.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #269 on: March 08, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »
Sure, I'll join your little recording club.  Just don't expect volumes of recordings (competing interests, remember?).  Thanks for the invitation, it does sound like you two have been having more fun than ought to be legal. :)   Also, my horn is at the church right now, but I will try to remember to bring it home Wednesday night and work up something shortly.

Curtis