Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17609 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #270 on: March 08, 2005, 12:51:19 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Fish is much better than Kenny G.

:lol: . Thanx Bams.  :wink:

The web page seems like a good idea. We might have to start doing improv numbers tho. Ya kno, start a key and just do a minute of nuttin but cuttin loose. I'm runnin out of material to play along to, so I might just need to do that.

We could have a little sax ensemble goin here...swap ideas...advice...all good.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #271 on: March 08, 2005, 03:46:44 PM »
Hey, we could take Curtis bass lines and improv over his changes!  *smiles*

Who would have ever thought we'd be doing something like this on an outdoors forum?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
Hehe...good point. But we sure are having a blast doing it. It shows that even us hunters and shooters aren't the ignorant hillbillies that the dumocraps portray us as sometimes.

I sent ya a present Bams. My freshest Sanborn and G work. I fixed the errors in the previous recordings, while there are still some, it seems fairly nice. I only squeaked once or twice.

I also sent Curtis the initiation recordings  :) . Hope to have a full report by tomorrow morning.  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2005, 06:01:41 PM »
Send you my latest recording Curtis.  Sorry the links aren't working.  I had pneumonia when I made that, so please be gentle. *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #274 on: March 09, 2005, 01:44:09 AM »
Fishman, initiation huh?  Well I'm officially in now I guess.  Thanks for those sound clips, I see now that I have been missing out on all the fun.

Bam Bams, got yours too (sounds great) but when I replied to your e-mail it bounced as undeliverable.  I hope everything is ok.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2005, 03:01:14 AM »
Curtis,

I'm sending the tenor ones as we speak. There's three or four, so enjoy at your own risk :) .

Bams, did you listen to my piece de resistance? I think you'll be pleased... :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2005, 03:25:42 AM »
Glad you got it Curtis.  I'm really not happy with that recording, but Fish PRESSURED me to crank it out - didn't even care that I was sick and dying.  *smiles*  This is why I forgot to tune up first and played the whole thing sharp.

I don't know why my email didn't work.  I'll test it this morning.  My phone is still turned on, so I know it's not that.  I guess they are taking their time with cutting me off?

Fish, I just got off work and I'm pretty beat right now, but I'll listen to it in a few minutes and let you know later today okay?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2005, 03:33:17 AM »
Yea yea yea, pressured you...uh huh :wink: . I didn't kno you had the pneumonia to begin with, so there :P

I suppose I can let you wait till this afternoon :roll: . But NO SLACKING!!! :-D  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2005, 03:48:29 AM »
I just listened to both that you sent me.  The second was definitely better than the first one.  Awesome!  Were you more warmed up on the second one?  You seemed like a well oiled machine on the second recording. You've got some good technique going there. I wish I had your speed.

Curious. Have you thought about piping the accompaniment straight into your sound card instead of letting the microphone pick it up?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2005, 09:57:17 AM »
I have no idea how to do that...enlighten me, please.

Actually, what I did differently was I had my reed pre-soaked, and the mouthpiece only mildy used (I mean from a clean start) and I really made sure my ombeshure was tight in that upper register to reduce squeaking. Plus I put the CD player right next to the mic (well, the speakers were actually turned away from the mic, but I cranked the player, so hopefully it distorted me a little bit). And I also sealed some leaks with the right notes and stuff...playing by ear with a song like that is a pain.

Curtis, the delivery of my tenor recordings failed? I'll try again, just a pain to wait for the comp to upload three 2MB files :eek: . I hope you'll like them, I'll try sending them in a bit.

Come on Bams, give us sumtin :P . Hope to hear something soon!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #280 on: March 09, 2005, 10:11:19 AM »
Okay, let me try and explain this, since I'm not a sound engineer at all.

On the back of your tape deck, CD player, whatever - there might be a thing called "line out."  If you have that, you can buy an audio cable from Radio Shack to connect that "line out" directly into the "line in" recepticle on your sound card at the back of your computer.

If you can do that, you can feed the music straight into the computer - and it will sound better.   In my case, that is what I'm doing, except I also plug my Saxophone into that Tascam thingie magig.  The Tascam IS my CD player, but it also allows me to plug a microphone into it, and then the Tascam "line out" gets plugged into the computer sound card's "line in."
While I am playing, I am also listening to the music through head phones, which are also plugged into the Tascam - but that could also be a CD player, cassette deck, etc.

Is this making any more sense?  Anyway, I'm just trying to help you make better recordings if you can simply change the way things are plugged into eachother.  If not, oh well, just trying to help out a little.

I am working on a song now, in a day or two, I'll probably be able to record it.  I'm working graveyard shift again tonight, so I'm pretty tired during the day.

Do you know where I can print out the complete score for "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2005, 10:19:07 AM »
Uhh...sure... :) . Chances are I won't be able to do it, but I'll keep it in mind.

I thought of something...I have other instruments besides my saxes and clarinets. I have a synthesizer full of em. I made up something last nite. I might record it tonite or as soon as I get the chance. This should be interesting... :twisted: .

Curtis, I just tried to send them now with the same result :evil: . I dunno. Mebe you can tell me why it ain't workin?  :D

Oh, uhh...chances are you can't find free copies of sheet music anywhere unless you pirate them. I wish you could tho.
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
I think Curtis is calling the music police to come and confiscate all our instruments.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #283 on: March 09, 2005, 10:45:19 AM »
If I hit fourth octave E on my clarinet, I'll send them M.P. scurrying  :)  :-D . All right, I'm dragging down the keyboard...this should be fun.  :twisted:  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2005, 11:13:14 AM »
I think I'm liking this Adobe Audition too much :roll: . I just send the first ever JP keyboard recording. Doesn't sound too bad (then again, it's on a keyboard...sound quality and intonation are perfect :grin: ). I only made one or two errors, after all, I am behind the keyboard, so there is room for error. I titled it "A Touch of Holiday Honey" featuring soprano sax. You'll hear at the second chorus two saxes. Great thing called harmony :) . Oh I love my works, even if they are cheesy :wink: .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
Nice. I'm working on more digital recordings. It's goin good  :P   :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2005, 02:43:07 PM »
Well I sent both of you the pinnacle of my music career. Enjoy!  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2005, 06:16:13 PM »
Fishman, I got the keyboard recording e-mail today from you that's all.  You are saying that some other mail to me bounced back as undeliverable?  Hmmmm  I may just post my files to my web page for you to get if I can figure out how.

Bam Bams, no I"m not calling the piracy police.  Wednesday nights are busy for me with praise band practice and Bible study.  I brought my horn home tonight so maybe I can find time to fool around with it and make a recording for you both.

Hey if you want some good free software to make and print out your own scores try Noteworthy Composer evaluation version found here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/ The only limitation it has over the purchased version are a few features and you are limited to ten saves per document.  Also, every time you print out your score, it prints an order form LOL.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »
No.  I was afraid you were going to turn us into Larry Teal!  *laugh*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2005, 12:26:38 PM »
Bams, here's a sax all three of us should purchase. Might not sound as good as your Bueshcer Top Hat and Cane (that is what is, right?) or a Mark VI but I'm sure this has a nice...imagine that in silver.... :grin: .

:grin: That's what I'll get after a Selmer Artys (clarinet) (hey, hey, still gotta get the LaVoix first  :) ).  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Great Saxophone Solos - Post 1
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »
Which Selmer is that?

This one is Scott Page.  Why did I pick him?  Well, he has the distinct honor of being the first sax player in space.  Yup!   He recorded this at a live concert in the former Soviet Union with Pink Floyd.  The shuttle pilots took this album with them on a mission.

Anyway, Scott was not the "original" horn guy on the original cuts of these songs.  That was Dick Parry.  Scott just toured the Soviet Union with Roger Waters et al.

I hope you enjoy.  I would love to get this good one day.

http://dopey.hopto.org/emmettw/great.mp3
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2005, 01:50:44 PM »
That is the Selmer Model 62 Series III. There is a model of it with a second octave key :eek: . That be the one I get, like I said, as soon as I get my clarinet. I mean, I'll always keep my Armstrong, but I want a pro horn...if ya get where I'm coming from. You lucky dog you, you already have a pro horn  :) . Bams, do you have a picture of your King Zephyr? I've never heard of one and would like to get an idea of what it looks like.

Nice to dream, ain't it?  :roll:  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2005, 04:54:44 PM »
Ok Bams and Fish, my long awaited debut recording is in cyber space headed toward a mailbox near you!  I think we should try to add someone from outside the U.S. to our little group.  That way we can say we are internationally famous! (well, sort of). LOL  :-D  :-D  :-D

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2005, 01:24:17 AM »
Curtis,

Wow. You got quite a style going there. Very, very nice :P .

Have you guys listened to that other keyboard recording? I'd really like to kno wut you fellas think!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2005, 03:59:23 AM »
Curtis:

I never got it.   :cry:

I'm sending you another email.  Please try and reply to that one.  As far as I can tell, my email is working fine.  I'm getting emails from other people and the self-test is working.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2005, 05:28:43 AM »
I don't understand it either.  Sometimes it goes through and sometims not.  The e-mail I sent last night was to you and fishman and his went through and yours bounced.  I tried again this morning with the files in separate e-mails.  I have had one bounce from fishman too but it went through the next time.

Fishman, try to forward those files to Bam Bams.  That may be our work-around.  I think it may be the SMTP server on my end being contrary.  I'll call customer service when I get time (one of these days he he) and see what they can suggest.  Do both of you have a current version of winzip?  If so it might be good to compress these files before e-mailing them.  At least they will download faster that way.

Curtis

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2005, 05:32:38 AM »
Fishman, I'll give it a listen this afternoon.  Last evening between cleaning out the travel trailer (getting ready to sell), housework and recording my files I didn't listen to your latest.  I'll let you know.

Curtis

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2005, 05:51:48 AM »
Fish,

Can you please send me Curtis' recordings?  Thanks!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2005, 07:02:13 AM »
Great Sax Solos: Post #2

Rindy Ross!  Another great, female sax player!  She co-founded the band "Quarterflash" with her husband back in the 1980s.  Their single, "Harden My Heart" went platinum.

She's also toured with Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, and The Beach Boys.

These days, she plays with the "Trail Band."  

I just asked her hubby for an autographed picture.  We shall see what happens.  *smiles*

http://dopey.hopto.org/emmettw/great2.mp3
NRA Handgun Instructor