Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17608 times)

Offline JPSaxMan

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2005, 09:53:16 AM »
Curtis, sounds like you're on a metal mouthpiece? I can tell by the one bend you do. It's like you completely change notes in the bend. That's why I was tryin to keep Bams away from the metal. If you don't have the control in your ombeshure, your pitch, which ultimately effects your sound will be all over the place.

Bams, just forwarded the recordings.

Curtis, also, have you checked out the tenor recordings? I might send the third one now, being I was in a predicament the morning I sent the first two.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2005, 10:08:54 AM »
Fish, thank you for sending those.  I was very interested in hearing our newest star here. *smiles*

Curtis,

I just listened to your recordings.  You're a "natural" cat!   I also noticed the bending.  I bend here and there myself when I think it's appropriate.  Overall, I'd say your intonation and control are close to top notch.  You really ought to stick with it, and practice at least 18 hours a day - you could be the next Cannonball!  You seemed to "loosen up" and "flow" more on "How Great Thou Art" -- taking a little more freedom with it.  Ya definitely "got it" Curtis.  The C# is the bane of my existence also.  I have to really remember to back off on the air to get it to sound right.  

What is your recording setup?  

Fish,

I listened to your keyboarding today.  The sound was very good.  I can't really proffer much of an opinion though.  I have an affinity for electronic music - it's a ME thing. I guess you pumped it straight into the sound card or something?  I have a Roland E-16 here that I use for practicing Jazz with.  It's a fantastic tool for that.  I tried to get my oldest daughter interested in the keyboard, but all she wants to do is sing.  Oh well.  Sorry, no pictures of that Zephyr.  There should be plenty of photos of it on Google though.

Now Fish, we gotta get you a metal mouthpiece.  A good one!

Okay, now it's MY practice time (neighbors ya know) so I'm off to go and rehearse some John Lennon.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2005, 10:23:50 AM »
Oh most definetly  :P . I'll take an order of an Otto Link *7 Alto and an Otto Link New York Tenor *7, please.  :)

Well, here's the scoop. I'm going to put the order for my tenor and stuff online. But I'm doing it with a check. This way, the order is on notification, but it's not actually processed until they get the money. When they do, the guy tells me I'll have my horn in 10 days!  8) . Wow. I'm dying for it. Anyway...

Well, I used the standard mic, I just put it right next to the speaker. One of these days I'm going to get me a MIDI device, so I can do a direct transfer. I think if I can do that I can also have it write out music for me too.

*In hypnotic state*I'm being enveloped by Sanborn's magic, I'm listening to Pick Up the Pieces again  :)   :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #303 on: March 11, 2005, 01:44:38 PM »
Ya know, Sanborn uses a metal mouthpiece right?  It's a modified Dukoff.
He estimates the size to be around a "6."

He also uses Vandoren reeds.  Size 2.5 to 3.0.  This would make perfect sense on a size "6" mouthpiece.

I just had a great practice.  I am really challenged by this song I'm working on - especially since it has me going all the way to the top of the sax's range.

I've got a question for you two pros.  What is the best tuning note when you're playing alone?  I would think it would be the C# - because this way the instrument would be in tune with itself.  Am I correct here?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #304 on: March 11, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Bams,

The proper tuning note for an Eb Alto Sax is G. I know this for fact. C# is exactly what it sounds-sharp.

However, the only way to tune to the G is to tune it against a piano (or keyboard that's in-tune or whatever). I don't know how good you are with your ears, but I can usually tell if I'm going sharp or flat just by playing along with a piece of music and just hearing myself. But that's me. Otherwise, well, your crap outta luck.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #305 on: March 11, 2005, 02:19:45 PM »
Well, I've been using an electronic (Seiko) tuner for a long time.  It hasn't failed me yet!  When I play with others though, I try to always tune off the keyboard if possible.

Hey guess what?  Kenny G uses a metal mouthpiece also.  Did you know this?  *smiles*

It's a Dukoff D-8 for the soprano.

I'm tellin' ya Fish......metal is the way to go!  *laugh*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #306 on: March 11, 2005, 02:22:07 PM »
Oh and also,

I thought his website said he used an 8? I guess I could be wrong. Oh my, you'd have to use a metal mouthpiece to get the sound he gets. I can't wait till I can get a metal. Wow. I'll knock both of ya's off your feet.  :) . Kidding, kidding.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #307 on: March 11, 2005, 02:24:03 PM »
Kenny G told me to tell you to get a metal mouthpiece.

Sanborn?  Nope.  Here it from his own mouth:

http://www.david-sanborn.com/mp3/mthnligature.mp3
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #308 on: March 11, 2005, 02:29:24 PM »
Bams, tell me, are you hinting at something?  :)

I knew he played on a Dukoff...just didn't kno what size. Did ya kno he plays a Mark VI Soprano and Mark VI (I think) Tenor? So chances are he plays a Mark VI Alto as well. Lucky son of a gun I'll tell ya that much  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #309 on: March 11, 2005, 02:31:56 PM »
Ah, I was right.  :) . As soon as I get some funds, trust me, I will. The tenor and it's goodies are a pretty big chunk out of the wallet. Plus I prolly need to get to a pro store and try out mouthpieces. That's an all-day affair and I don't got all day to do anything anymore :roll: . I might not want an Otto. Eh, don't worry. Time will tell.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2005, 02:32:45 PM »
Yes.  His Alto is a Mark VI also.  I would probably crave one myself, but as you know, I am 100% convinced that my old Buescher sounds just as good - if not better.  I've heard enough Mark VIs by now to say this.  Whether the Mark VI is easier to play or not, I really do not know.

Three main reasons I got an Otto Link:

1) I got it cheap.
2) They are made from "bell" metal.  If you tap on it, it will actually ring like a bell.
3) The size was perfect for me at the time.

I'd like to get a 6 or 7 one of these days.  It would give me a little more "buzz" buy hey....I can live with my sound right now.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2005, 02:35:06 PM »
Alrighty, so he play on a 6. I've heard some pretty crappy things about the newer Dukoff's tho. I guess Bobby uses a fairly cheap metal and if yours isn't the right one, you know it. If ya go on to wwbw.com and look up the Dukoff's and read the reviews, you'll see where I'm comin from.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #312 on: March 11, 2005, 02:38:37 PM »
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put TOO much value on those reviews.  For one thing, ANYONE can post a review on WWBW, so you never know if the person is full of BS, or an amateur.  In fact, I think a lot of those guys who post reviews ARE full of BS.

If it's opinions I need, I will usually go to www.saxontheweb.net.  There are quite a few, well known, pros who post there.  Right now, that web site is down though.  What a shame.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #313 on: March 11, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »
Yea, I might have to try it myself before I can exclude it out. But here's a few I'd like to try.

Otto Link
Bari
Dukoff
Selmer (price pending)
Vandoren (also price pending)
Meyer

Those are all metal, of course. Even if they make rubber versions. The Vandoren V16, Otto Link, and Bari WTII look like the same exact mouthpiece. But, time will tell.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #314 on: March 11, 2005, 02:47:27 PM »
All good candidates for testing!   Have you seen that Vandoren "Optimum" ligature?  I think it's pretty cool, and useful.  I also like the Francois Louis - Gold Plated.  

One of these days!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #315 on: March 11, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
I couldn't find Francois Louis? Gotta link?

I'm sending you something I found. It was a mic test before I started recording. I warmed up my alto first, then my tenor. You might enjoy hearing me just goofing around. I think that's when I sound my best sometimes. Enjoy!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #316 on: March 11, 2005, 03:14:50 PM »
I did enjoy that!  It sounded really good.  Thank you!

Here's one link regarding that ligature.  WWBW sells it also.

http://www.bill-lewington.com/flouis.htm
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #317 on: March 11, 2005, 04:10:41 PM »
OH! Ah yes, I have seen them before. I even eyed them too. I'm really looking for a jazz ligiature, not one that's going to darken my sound. The Optimum looked nice, b/c it looked like it could do both classical and jazz at the same time.  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #318 on: March 11, 2005, 05:46:54 PM »
Let's see if I can catch up here:

Fish, yes it is a metal.  I have the Wolfe Tayne number 4.  Here is a chart so you can compare it with what you are familiar with. http://westwindmusic.com/facings.html Also, scroll down and you can see a list of all the famous players mouthpiece preferences.  Pretty neat, huh?  I'm glad you guys got me looking around.  I'm really not as well versed as you two on the technical side of the various instruments.  And yes this mouthpiece lets me bend down 3 semi-tones with effort, or 1 full tone without much effort so you have to watch intonation for sure.

I have not had time (again) to check out your latest recordings (tenor or keyboard) but keep them coming and I'll catch up eventually.  I found out what my e-mail problem was so that should no longer be an issue.  I spent this afternoon with my Son washing motorcycles (200 mile lunch trip tomorrow, have I mentioned lately that I have too many interests? LOL)

Bams, thank you for the flattery.  Sometimes I overdo it and it can really be "too much" if I'm not careful.  I'm really not very imaginative or artful, but I get by.  My recording setup is a 40 year old Wollensak 3M microphone with a 1/8 mini adapter so it will plug in to the mic input of my laptop.  I placed the mic about 4 feet away and pointing away from me at the wall about 2 feet away from it.  I used musicmatch Jukebox to record the mp3.  Pretty sophisticated, huh? LOL  

re: mouthpiece, check out the link above and you will see what I'm playing on.  Tuning:  Fish is right on.  Tune on G with your alto which is referred to as "concert B flat" (which will be B flat on any "C" instrument)  I'm not sure what it is on a B flat instrument like Fish's tenor and I'm too tired to try to transpose it LOL.  Fishman will know.

Ya'll have a great weekend.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
5 string banjo
« Reply #319 on: March 12, 2005, 01:14:10 AM »
Hi all :D
   I play a 5 string banjo, love the celtic music, so therfore I play alot of old celtic songs, on it. also play drop thumb hammer type, which really brings, out the soulfull sounds, on the banjo. drop thumb, is a mountain style of playing, also can do alittle three finger picking like Earl Scrubbs, but not all that good at it. Play just for myself, when I`m sitting in the woods, and enjoying nature.

bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #320 on: March 12, 2005, 02:34:07 AM »
Heya bullet maker,

I kind of get into cultural stuff as well. Not Celtic, but African. But those are my least favorite, as you can see. I do them when I feel like it. Maybe I'll make some recordings for those who care to listen. Hey, maybe you should hang around. If you do guitar and etc, maybe you can be sharing recordings like the three of us that have gotten into it. That might be pretty cool :P

Curtis, for Bb tenor sax 'C' is the note you want to play on. Once again, this is all in relation if you have to tune to a keyboard or a piano. If you have a tuner, you might be able to tune to any note your heart desires. Just keep in mind that if you tune to a D, to say, your octave lower F might be sharp or flat. That's why it's recommended you tune at the tuning note of the instrument. But of course, you have to listen to yourself among the other members of the ensemble b/c once you get up into the upper range, high A and up, your pitch might go way sharp. And of course you have to tune yourself to match.

I am so proud of myself. I hit altissimo G on the tenor last night :yeah:.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #321 on: March 12, 2005, 03:02:20 AM »
Welcome bullet-maker!  I LOVE Celtic music!  I am also an "Enya" fan - even though the majority of her music is not really Celtic.  I must have a hundred of her songs here.  I lived in England for about 3 years, and I used to travel to Ireland and Wales quite often just for the purpose of visiting the pubs to hear "live" celtic music played by the locals.

Please do share some of your favorites with us if you can.  We are having quite a good time here sharing all our efforts at music making.

Curtis and Fish,

Thanks for the tuning tips.  Yes Fish, I do go sharp in the upper register.  I've learned how to re-tune to get myself back in tune though.  From now on, I'll start by tuning to G, and go from there.  You ARE referring to the lower register "G" right?  If the upper register then goes sharp, what about tuning to the upper register "G" as a fix?  Hmmmm......might try that today.

Hope you have a safe weekend on that motorcyle Curtis.  I have to disagree with the "lack of artistic ability" statement.  I think you're being too modest.  I heard you.  It's all there!  *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #322 on: March 12, 2005, 04:53:55 AM »
Bams

I usually do this; I take the sax, play the lower tuning note, in other words, the medium range. Then I play the upper range tuning note, just to check it. I usually have to do this with my clarinet. It's real finicky as to how it goes. I can play 2nd octave C, then go down to the next A and it'll be sharp. So, depending on your instrument, that's what'll happen. I assume you don't have a piano/keyboard to tune to? In that case you're stuck with your electric tuner, which isn't bad, just not as reliable as the piano.

B-M, I'd really love to hear some Celtic banjo. That sounds neat. I too like Enya (to an extent). "Only Time" is the only song I really liked. But that's just me.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #323 on: March 12, 2005, 05:08:44 AM »
I've got a keyboard.  Do you know ANY sax player without a keyboard?  Shame on them!  You must have missed my post saying that I had a Roland E-16?

I use it mainly to provide accompaniment and rhythm.  I usually tune off the tuner though because it's accurate down to something like .05 cents.
I remember one time I played a song in the upper register, and I tuned up for that, then I played a song in the lower register without re-tuning.  YUCK!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #324 on: March 12, 2005, 06:12:14 AM »
:)  :-D  :)  :-D

I thought you had a Roland E-16 TUNER. Oh, I see now. That one song I sent, "Love At It's Finest", I'm gonna transpose it for a real tenor. :yeah:. Actually, I already have. And ya kno wut? I only hit altissimo F# last nite, not G. Bummer :evil: . I tried G today, didn't happen. I'm coming down with something, and I don't got enough air (or enough enthusiasm) to put any air through the horn as of now. But I can't go too long without sax, so chances are I'll prolly end up playin a lil later.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2005, 08:31:39 AM »
Hey! I thought you hadn't missed a practice session since High School?

Guess what?  I just learned today that Arthur Blythe plays the same exact sax that I play on!  This is what they say about his sound:

"Blythe possesses one of the most easily recognizable alto sax sounds in jazz -- big and round, with a fast, wide vibrato and an aggressive, precise manner of phrasing. His lines are frequently quite baroque and always well-defined."

You know what?  On this song I'm working on today, I tuned up normally - with a G note.  When I got up into the C#5 and E5, I was way too sharp for my liking.  Here is what I did about it.  I used my tuner to tune C#5 and E5 and kinda took an average where nothing in the high register was too sharp - maybe only 10 cents off.  Now it all sounds fine.  So from now on, when I play a song that literally lives in a register, I will tune for it that way.

I like many people, struggle with altissimo on an alto.  It defintely takes ALOT of practice.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2005, 09:02:09 AM »
Curtis,

I just noticed your mouthpiece is about .006" more open at the tip than mine.  What size reed are you using with that?

http://www.jjbabbitt.com/product.htm

If you decide to trade it some day, I'll send you a BG "Revelation Jazz" ligature for it.  (i can't help dreaming - i know)
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2005, 09:09:50 AM »
Cool Saxophone Magazine - if you can afford it.

http://www.dornpub.com/saxophonejournal.html
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #328 on: March 12, 2005, 12:27:55 PM »
Well, fellas, it's official. Just got back from H&R Block. The refund is the cost of the tenor plus some more for bills and etc. But I just got done putting the order in on WWBW. The only thing that's pending now is payment. And that should come in within two weeks. Then it's a 2-3 day mail of the check to WWBW, then when the check clears and WWBW sends out the order, it'll be 10 days. Man o man, I am jumpin jiminey crickets waiting for this :P  :P  :P . Wish me luck, I'll need all I can get.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #329 on: March 12, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
I like many people, struggle with altissimo on an alto.  It defintely takes ALOT of practice.

Oh I hear ya. I even have a hard time at the max out F# (my alto has that special F#, remember). If I don't get the lip and air combo just right, it cuts out. I'm gonna go try to pick up the alto. I think my tenor has a leak. More reason for me to get my new one.

Well, I guess now I have missed two sessions of practice, then again, I hope to make up for it now!  :D
JP