Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17611 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2005, 05:45:38 PM »
Haha!  I'm getting ready to put the date on my calendar so I can count down with ya!  *smiles*

Well, if you listen to Arthur Blythe's "Sentimental Walk" you'll be blessed for sure!  I sure wish I could get some more of his music.

HINT HINT HINT!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2005, 10:34:56 AM »
Yea yea yea, I get the hint. I got some free time right now so I'm gonna do it now before I forget.

Count down the days, eh? Well, I'll let ya kno for sure when I get the refund check. Then you can start counting the days after WWBW tells me they're shipping my tenor. Oh boy oh boy, I am absolutely DYING for that day. It'll come soon....but not soon enough for me :twisted: .  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2005, 12:06:36 PM »
Bams, of all artists to look up. I used both BearShare and WinMX and had no luck of finding Arthur Blythe songs. I might try one or two other things, but now I'm gonna go honk on the horns (wish I was honking on my LaVoix  :) ).  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Arthur Blythe
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2005, 01:47:19 PM »
I searched for his music on Musicmatch Downloads (legit download purchase site) but they have none available.  They did have a really good Biography, Discography, Roots and Influences, and Artist in Depth write up, but alas it too is copyrighted and the cut and paste option is diabled.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2005, 06:18:47 PM »
I want to thank you fellas' for trying.  I really appreciate the effort!  I also tried on the "new" Napster - another legit download sight, and had pretty much the same experience as Curtis.  I really didn't want to have to go out and purchase an entire album for just a few tracks that I want, but I guess that is what I'll be doing in the future.

I am still amazed that there is a pro player out there who is using the same sax as I am.  Most Buesher players will be using either the "Aristocrat Model" or a "Big B" - seldom see a "True Tone."

Anyhow, thanks again!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2005, 03:41:23 PM »
I just got done with a practice session. Phew. It's always exciting to practice along with Kenny G. Errr...not a whole lot to report this time. I'm pretty beat for some reason. Keep on jamin guys! We haven't been sharin that many recordings recently. Then again I'm no one to talk tho :).  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2005, 01:52:25 AM »
If I only had $$$...there are several (I think there might just be one now) Mark VI's on saxquest.com that look interesting. Imagine if all three of us could be honking on Mark VI's (except Bams...he thinks his horn can outplay one of these :) )

I'd like to know where you got that theory Bams. Did a pro at a shop or sumtin play it for you? Did he say that this horn played like a Mark VI? Just curious. I need to make some more recordings. Sometime soon...I hope.  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2005, 02:02:09 AM »
Hey Joel, that day at Brook Mays when they were shoving all the horns at me to "test drive" I can't remember which selmer I played, but if I had bought a horn that day it would have been the Yamaha.  Out of all the horns, it sounded the best to me and felt more "familiar" to me.  I don't think anyone makes the definitive horn for eveyone and I don't think people who choose other horns that are not mainstream are necessarily uninformed.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2005, 06:01:36 AM »
Even horns of the same make and model can sound different.  There are lots of factors involved.

My horn does sound as good as a Mark VI.  I've heard both.  I've heard more Mark VIs than any other horn except my own.  Now, I'm not saying my horn "plays" better - just that it sounds as good, or even better, than the Mark VIs I've heard.  I'm pretty certain that a Mark VI is easier to finger than my horn is.  My theory is that many people obtain a Mark VI for it's action plus the sound.  Of course, back when the Mark VI hit the horn market, there was no Internet and many pros got a Mark VI simply because of the "word on the street."  This perpetuated it's popularity as many famous people started playing them in clubs, cutting recordings, etc.

Overall, I think the best horn is the one that makes you happy. We all enjoy different sounds, pitches, tonal quality, etc.  I gave up on sounding exacting like "so and so" sounds.  I'm sure it can be done, but I'd rather be unique anyway.  To me, there is no point is doing things the same way they've already been done. I managed to hear "a little" of Arthur Blythe the other day - maybe 30 seconds of "Sentimental Walk."  Gosh, he sounds great!  I AM going to purchase some of his music when I obtain enough funds one day.

How many days left Fish?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2005, 09:54:10 AM »
Oh, I dunno...prolly another week if not a lil more for the check, then another 2 weeks for the horn to get here. Still lookin at mid to the end of April. Wow. Every time I think about how much sooner it will be I get all jittery...gotta stop that :) .

Curtis, I too have heard some people say that they preferred the Yamahas over the Selmers. Every man to his own. I have played plenty of student model Yamahas and I never had a complaint about it. Very easy playing, solid horn. However, the Selmer Super Action 80 Tenor (not Series II) I played was a lot more solid and had a lot more depth to it.

Bams, I understand now. I was gonna say...I was hoping you weren't pitting your own personal playing on the Buescher True Tone vs the Mark VI. Because I don't think that's a fair assessment. Then again, if you can guarantee that Arthur Blythe rocks and that he plays a True Tone, then I might vouch for it. I was eyeing a Buescher True Tone Soprano. That looked nice. About the cost of my tenor off of saxquest.com. If I had $$$.... :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2005, 10:02:43 AM »
Well, actually I am pitting my own personal playing against what a Selmer MK VI sounds like.  Is there something about my playing that suffers to the point where a fair comparison would not be possible?  What exactly are you trying to say Fish?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2005, 10:32:12 AM »
LOL Bams I just noticed your profile. :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:36 AM »
Planet Zondor...where's dat? What universe? I'd like to go there. Sounds like a nice place. I wonder how the internet is in that area.... :)  :-D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2005, 10:46:48 AM »
*smiles*  I hope this means you'll still talk to me Curtis????
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2005, 03:54:39 PM »
Phew. I just kicked but on this last practice session. I just cut loose on my alto. I did the improv deal, but omg, I went all up and down the sax, all the way up to altissimo F and all the way down to low, low Bb. I'm gonna have to record one of those sessions  :)  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2005, 07:34:46 AM »
I just re-recorded six songs for a CD I'm giving somebody. Almost had seven, but the CD player started screwing up, so...kinda had to give it up for a bit, then the wife came home and that was the end of that. So...how bout you fellas? Haven't heard from either of ya's in a while... :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2005, 07:41:34 AM »
Well, I decided that I just didn't like the lyrics of the song I was practicing, so I decided to forget about it.  I need to find something new, and I'm looking.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2005, 08:26:50 AM »
Bams, how about some Dulfer works? That'd be interesting...I tried playing along with the one she did with John Butler "Smooth Oasis" or sumtin like that. She must go up to an altissimo A or B or sumtin but I certainly can't hit it... :shock:  :) . Oh well. Curtis, your turn!!!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2005, 09:25:22 AM »
Here ya go fellas!  Mouthpieces for all of us!

http://www.jgerber.com/mouthpieces.htm
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »
:roll: . I think I'll stick with my $100 or so Bari's and Otto's thank you.  :) .
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »
Bams, them shore is purdee!!!   :D

Fish, busy weekend all I had time for was skimming the messages.  Our music minister was out this morning so I got to be worship leader.  He was back tonight and we had a very spirit filled service and I got back on my horn.  The weather this afternoon was beautiful so I had to get on my motorcycle and GO!!  Last week's ride was leading a group so this ride was just for me (no responsibilities for other riders).  Once we get back into daylight saving time, I'll be riding a lot.

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #381 on: March 20, 2005, 04:00:21 PM »
Curtis, you'll have to haul along a laptop with wireless internet so we can keep in touch with ya while you're on the road.  :) . Seems you had a very soulful day. That's awesome.  :P

I'm itching for an alto metal. As soon as I get some funds, I'm either looking at a Bari WTII or an Otto Link (they look the same, the Bari is cheaper :roll: ).

Not much else to report. But I must say, Kenny G can put you to sleep. I was playing along tonite, I found myself slouched over to the right with my eyes closed, yet still playing along. Just to prove how good I am; I can play in my sleep :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #382 on: March 20, 2005, 05:24:14 PM »
Talk about great sounding Selmer MK VI's!

This is probably the nicest sounding one I've heard.  If you've got a decent stereo, then crank it up.  Wow!

http://dopey.hopto.org/emmettw/mkvi.mp3
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2005, 05:43:55 AM »
I must be the weirdo of the group. I'm a euphonium player. I've also dabbled in cornet. I have played in my highschool band, my college marching band, and the Michigan Lions All State Band. It was a very interesting time. I have let my music slide a bit in the past few years though. I get up the gumption to practice over the summer, do marching band in the fall, a little pep band in the winter, then i go hibernate.

My highschool band teacher and I shot trap together all the time. I often used valve,slide, and key instrument oil on my shotgun slide. It cracked him up when he saw me do it.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2005, 07:13:19 AM »
My son played euphonium for a couple of years.  He was pretty good, but never really took it seriously.  I put my sax down for about 15 years, but I'm back and serving God with the little bit of talent I have.  I have a lot of fun with it, but like my son I never was real serious about developing until lately.  Key oil on the shotgun slide, that's funny!!!

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2005, 09:54:22 AM »
Euphonium, very interesting instrument indeed.

That is a very nice Mark VI. Sounds like a tenor, maybe mine will sound that good  :roll: .  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2005, 03:38:56 PM »
OK, where are my fellow saxofiends???  What news?

Fish your sax lust (that sounds bad doesn't it? LOL) is rubbing off on me.  I find myself thinking a lot about a bari sax.  I was listening to Dick Parry's bari solo at the end of Pink Floyds "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and getting goose bumps.  It's almost tempting enough to sell off a motorcycle!

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2005, 04:30:21 PM »
Quote from: Curtis
Fish your sax lust (that sounds bad doesn't it? LOL

Yes, yes, and yes  :)  

I find myself thinking a lot about a bari sax.  I was listening to Dick Parry's bari solo at the end of Pink Floyds "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and getting goose bumps.  It's almost tempting enough to sell off a motorcycle!

Whatever floats yer boat. I wouldn't do it. I only like the bari sax in certain settings. I always remember my eyes bleeding out when I played bari in concert band in HS years and years ago b/c the music was soo boring. Why would you spend that money (I dunno how much your bike would sell for, but let's say $2,000) on a bari sax, when it has very little importance within a jazz ensemble. I mean, I do remember a lot of the older hits where you heard the un-mistakable bari solo, but it sounded like my dog doing a #2 :-D . Not that I could do better, but I wouldn't solo up that high, b/c at that point it sounds like a dying cow. I remember my one bari friend did some solos, but he stuck down in the lower range and it kicked but!! Oh, the good ol days  :roll: .

I have to re-record all my stuff. It distorted too much last time. I have two devoted fans (not you fellas that I know of) who want CD's of my works. Here I come Kenny G!!!  :)  :-D  :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2005, 05:42:05 PM »
Ya, I hear ya on the boring part.  I played bari for a year in high school.  That is definitely not what I have in mind.  Jazz ensemble isn't going to happen either.  I do, however have a few ideas floating around in my head for solo work that would involve a bari.  LOL, I wouldn't describe the sound as a dog dump or a dying cow but like you said with the boat thing (it floats mine, lol).  Problem is, id really like to have them all (except for the contra, of course).

It's good to hear you are still having fun recording.  I have not made any more, but is still a possibility if I think of something good that I want to work up.  Problem is, playing every week in church pretty much scratches my itch and I do other things during the week.  Oh well, thanks for your thoughts and it's probably not going to happen anyway (the bari, that is).

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2005, 01:21:28 AM »
Aw heck there ain't nuttin wrong with the contra, are you kidding me???  :)  :-D  Ya just gotta sprawl it out a little and take out a second mortgage to get one :-D . Heck, I was looking at the Selmer Paris Model 56 Bass Saxophone....$19,000 :shock: . And that's not a contra-bass, just bass. Wowsers. I don't think so :roll: .

You bet I'm having fun with my recordings. I dreamed last nite I was playing on my own soprano...but the dream ended :cry: . Ttyl fellas!  :D
JP