Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17612 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2005, 10:35:32 AM »
Quote from: Fishman029

That is a very nice Mark VI. Sounds like a tenor, maybe mine will sound that good  :roll: .  :D

Oh my!  Oops.  I just checked and that was actually a 1924 Gold Plated Buescher True Tone (same as mine) played by Arthur Blythe.  Somehow, I "mistakenly" said it was a Mark VI.

The song is called "Blues For Mary."

So, I guess we'd have to agree that a Buescher sounds as good as a Mark VI???

GOTCHA!

nee ner nee ner..........
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2005, 10:42:49 AM »
Curtis,

I share your appreciation for Dick Parry!  His replacement wasn't so bad either.

Hmmmm....."Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

I AM looking for something new to learn?

BTW:  I no longer have Internet at home.  I'm typing this from the public library, so it might be some time before I'm able to share with you guys.  The reeds will be mailed soon.  I'm planning on picking up my Alexanders tomorrow around noonish.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2005, 12:04:01 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Quote from: Fishman029

That is a very nice Mark VI. Sounds like a tenor, maybe mine will sound that good  :roll: .  :D

Oh my!  Oops.  I just checked and that was actually a 1924 Gold Plated Buescher True Tone (same as mine) played by Arthur Blythe.  Somehow, I "mistakenly" said it was a Mark VI.

The song is called "Blues For Mary."

So, I guess we'd have to agree that a Buescher sounds as good as a Mark VI???

GOTCHA!

nee ner nee ner..........

You wise ol cat you!!!  :)  Good...this gives me more reason to get a True Tone Soprano Sax if and when I get more funds.

I'm sorry to hear about your Internet. I hope you have it up soon. I'd have to laugh if you record in the library. *:music: HEY!! This is a LIBRARY!!! :music: WHAT? THIS IS A LIBRARY!!!!*  :) .

I hope to see those reeds soon. Then again, I can't wait to see my tx refund check either. Prolly Saturday, or next Saturday. Geez...but it won't be soon enough!! :roll:   :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline SAMinWI

Banjo playin
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2005, 05:18:11 AM »
Hi, I'm 56 and have always wanted to learn to play the banjo.  Am not particurally musically inclined, just wanted to learn.  Any thoughts on beginning options ie: what to buy?   am i too old to learn to pick?  etc.
Yours in Shooting,
Sam Gascho

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2005, 06:14:53 AM »
Well, Sam, I've done a little bit of research and here's what I found.

A starter kit for $200

I don't think age (unless you're 100) has an effect on learning ability, except for the fact it might take you longer than someone 20+years younger. If you really want to get into it, I'd get that starter pack, go through the book if not twice or three times, get good, then get a pro banjo and have a ball! I'm no string picker (as you might have inferenced :?  :) ). So you can take my advice with a grain of salt. But this is coming from musical experience, so it's not all bs. Good luck with it! Hey, maybe if ya get good enough you can join our lil recording club!!!  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2005, 05:07:21 PM »
Sam, any word on your venture? I'd like to know.

Curtis, what's happenin? Any saxing goin on? I know Bams is still tied up with his internet predicament. I no longer have a CD player, for it started skipping on Sunday too much for my temper to take and it met it's fate at the end of a baseball bat :shock: . The sucker was old and useless, I figgered it had enough. Looking at an Emerson 6CD changer for $50 @ Wal-Mart. Not too shabby.

Talk to ya'll later!  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #396 on: March 29, 2005, 01:57:02 AM »
Baseball bat??? :roll:  :roll:   You should have taken it out for a little target practice :-D  :)  :-D  :)  :-D

I've been playin around some with that bari solo I was telling you about on my alto.  Since they're both in E flat, I'll already know it when I get my bari (ya, right :lol: )

I hope Bams gets things worked out soon, this thread is a little slow without him.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #397 on: March 29, 2005, 06:37:18 AM »
Here I am!  Typing away the library again.

Sam:

One of my friends just started on the banjo.  He bought a kit like the one Fish mentioned.  He's having a great time too.

Okay guys - no more Vandoren's for moi.  I tried the Alexanders yesterday, and just on initial break-in, they out played the Vandorens by miles!  I'm keeping a few of the Vandorens in my case, just in case, but I doubt I'll be using them any time soon.

I've been really busy lately, but rest assured, I'll be getting those reeds mailed out soon.  I figure I'll mail them in a day or two.  I actually got as far as putting them into envelops today.  

Curtis:  How's the "Floyd" coming?  Have you had a chance to transpose any of it yet?  OR do you have a lead sheet or something?  I'm still searching for something new.  I've even reverted to spending time playing for the "Universal Method" book.  Ever seen that?  The author gaurantees that if you can make it all the way through his book, you are ready to go pro.  It was published back in 1918 or something, and it's as thick as a dictionary.

Oh yeah, I need to find some scores for Christian music.  Contempory stuff.  "Awesome God"  "Holy Holy" etc etc.  Any recommendations there?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #398 on: March 29, 2005, 10:22:12 AM »
Bams,

JWPepper.com has Church Music on there. You'll have to browse around a bit to find what you want, but other than that it should be there. Hope ya have success. Oh and you can send Curtis and I some of them Alexanders anyday you wish  :)  :-D . Just bustin on ya, I know they're expensive, if you ever did send me some I'd have to send them back :roll: .

My refund check has yet to show up. If they screwed it up, I will NOT be a happy camper :evil: . But I doubt it, hopefully I'll have it by this Saturday. If not, I'll start to get worried. Really worried :( .

Curtis, keep on honkin man. Sounds like you're having fun with the stuff you're doing. Ya'll take care!  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »
Bams, great you found your way back to the library.  Good to see you post again.  I'm practicing the "Floyd" every couple of days now.  I am playing it by ear, not from music.  I have known that solo in my head for close to 30 years now, so it's in there I just gotta get it to come out through the horn.  Since the bari and alto are in E flat, I am on the same note, just an octave above.  Once the solo moves to the tenor part, I'm not on the original note, but it doesn't matter.  Besides if I stay on alto I can reach the high notes without going altissimo like the soloist has to on tenor (I know, I'm cheating).

My sight reading skills are so rusty anyhow that in Praise Band I don't have time for music.  Luckily God blessed me by passing my Dad's good ear down to me.  Now you got me curious about those Alexanders.  I guess it would not matter that they cost more since I can cost them over several years the way mine last.  Maybe I'll have to go "test drive" another horn and try to talk them out of an Alexander.  That is how I ended up with my Vandorens.

Fish, I just figured my taxes and my refund check wouldn't buy a box of reeds.  Oh well.  Once I get that solo halfway presentable I'll do a recording and share with you guys.  I'd like to do a bass riff along with it, but I'll have to get some mixing software for that.  Too many projects.

Later,
Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2005, 01:13:53 PM »
Curtis:

The Alexanders really don't cost more.  I guess it just depends on where you get them?  I am paying about $13.00 for a tin of 5 right now.  Is that much more than you are used to paying?

You guys might just get some free Alexanders soon.  While the #2s that I have here sound great, I have reason to believe I should increase the strength to #2.5.  I noticed a little bit of trouble in the high octave.  I squeaked a tad.  I am going to try trimming them a hair tonight to see if that cures it.  If not, I'll get a couple boxes of higher strength to test next.

I'm also eyeballing two Ralph Morgan mouthpieces right now.  The "Excalibur" and the "Concert."  The "concert" because I am practicing out of the "Univeral Method" so it's really important to not be playing sharp, etc.

So you don't really reed (pun intended) music?  Gosh, I'd be lost if I couldn't.  I don't have that great an ear.  My x-wife could hear a song, pick up a clarinet, or sax, and play it immediately.  Of course, she'd have to try it two or three times, but still, it was amazing.  I'm still a sheet music guy.  

Fish:

I hope you get your check this weekend.  I wouldn't worry too much.  I've never had an IRS check get lost in my life.  Nor have I had an IRS BILL get lost in my lifetime either.  I am really disappointed with my tax return this year.  Of course, I didn't get to pay them much throughout the year anyhow.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2005, 01:51:46 PM »
Well, I do read music but I find it much more convenient to play by ear.  It is kinda like singing.  Once I hear it enough to have it in my head I can play it on the horn (unless it is technically above my ability).  I am getting better at playing by ear in the strange keys my leader picks on guitar (sometimes five sharps for me), but sometimes that just makes it harder to return to the easy keys.  One of these days I'll get there.  You two have been good for me because before we started talking, I would never break out the horn at home.

When I am playing bass guitar, I sometimes use a lead sheet if it is a song with strange chord progressions.  If the song uses the standard chords I just do a matching bass line by ear.  Here too ear is easier since I have to stop to think where the notes are on the neck of the guitar.  I'll use the lead sheet to get it in my head and then go by "feel" from then on I guess.

Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #402 on: March 30, 2005, 02:22:09 PM »
Bams,

How do you think I do all my Kenny G? Heck I don't have music. I wish I did, that'd make things much easier. But I really don't feel like shelling out $40 for a score if they even print them. Plus I feel it hightens my musical ability by playin it by ear. Especially if it's a song like "Pick Up the Pieces" where it takes time and good playing ability to do it by ear. And as both of you heard, I had to go through quite a few trial and tribulations to get the song down basic. I still have rough spots, like the solos, but other than that it's down. I think it's fun :P  :grin: . But that's me :roll: .

Bams, thanx for the words of encouragment. I need all I can get through this tough time in my life (if anybody besides you two were reading this they'd think I've lost all of my mind :-D ). I'm really getting edgy now. REALLY edgy. Maybe Bams should find me a Mark VI to loan me until I can get back on my feet  :)  :-D . Did you check out www.jwpepper.com?

Curtis...well...not much to say I guess. HI! :) . Is your internet fixed Bams? Hope to hear from ya'll soon!  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2005, 03:55:05 PM »
Hey guys!  :D

I think I found a new way to record my music. In Adobe Audition, I can use it like a mixer in a studio (I think that's the point :roll:  :) ). But my first track is the song I'm playin along to. The second track is just my sax. I can record the sax while I'm listening to the song through earbuds, this way you just hear my sax on the second track. But I've run into a MUCHO PROBLEMO. I can't figure out how to mix the two so that it's one track!!! :shock:  :(  :cry:

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to toy with it more.

Saturday is almost here. YEA!!  Ttyl fellas!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2005, 09:53:31 AM »
Fish,

I didn't go to "pepper.com" because that costs moolah.  I think I'll just hook up with some church band members and see what they are willing to loan me of photocopy.  

As for playing by ear, this guitar trainer that I have would be an asset for you also.  It will slow down any CD by 50% without even changing the pitch.  I'll be using it in the future to try and nail some of those elusive Charlie Parker solos one day.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2005, 10:14:00 AM »
THIS IS NOT GOOD :cry:  :cry: My refund check didn't come today. If it's not here by Tuesday, I might have to start making phone calls. Plus, wwbw jacked the price on my tenor by $300. Now my online order didn't indicate a price jump, so maybe I won't have to worry about it. I really hope not.  :D
JP

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2005, 03:27:11 AM »
I have played drums since 1971. I have a set or pearls I got way back. I also have one daughter who plays sax and aonther who is off to college to be a music teacher so she plays just about anything.  When we all get together the music and the bs flows lol. We are mostly old rock and roll but my daughter likes jazz and blues so we try a lot of different things
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2005, 03:30:36 AM »
That's awesome bubba. A musical family. BAMS, we got fresh meat... :twisted:  :) . I just meant more musicians to add to the flock.

I always admired a good drummer. To be able to move four parts of yourself in four different places at four different syncopations at once is amazing. One feat I have yet to accomplish. Hang around bubba, heck maybe your daughter can get on here and talk with us sax addicts.  :D
JP

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2005, 03:41:58 AM »
when you have a spastic natur elike I have it is easy to go in 4 ways lol.  My oldest the music talent i sbetter on my drums than I am. She can literally pick up most anything and play it. So I am hoping college will be a breeze for her and she can share her talents with others.  I also have a nephew who plays bass so he are the entertainment at Family parties
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #409 on: April 04, 2005, 01:59:48 PM »
IT CAME :grin:  :grin:  :grin: !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean the tax check.  :roll:

I put it in via night deposit...I'll mail the order out tomorrow....ohh boy.

Another tidbit of good news...I don't have to pay that jack price they pulled on my tenor :P  :P  :P

However, a slight downfall :( . I don't have one reserved for me however. Only reason is because I never paid for it, so they never reserved it, even tho I put in the online order. :cry:

Oh well. Where are my saxofriends anyway? Curtis, you have no excuse, unless you're out of internet too? Bams, hope to hear from ya and to see those reeds soon. :P  Listening to Kenny G's "Homeland" right now. That song is so mellow yet so easy to play at the same time. Talk to ya'll later!!  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #410 on: April 04, 2005, 02:43:43 PM »
Hey Fish I know I have no excuse for neglecting this thread.  Of course the feral cat one was more fun for a little while LOL.  I've been neglecting my horn again too I guess.  I didn't get to play Sunday because my leader's asthma was acting up and I had to sub at leading the song service.  My horn is still at the church, I'll get it Wednesday I guess.  Today I spent all afternoon cleaning up the yard and mowing (yes, the grass and weeds are going strong already here).

It is good to hear that your sax order is moving forward again.  Maybe Bams will get back on his own computer by the time you get it.  I know you will want to start recording again once you have that new horn in your hands.

Later,
Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #411 on: April 04, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »
Yea, I'm actually startin to miss Bams :cry: . Him or his recordings?  :)

Yeppers, the tenor process has moved forward by 50%. Now the other part is getting the check in the mail and actually getting a tenor. Hopefully soon... :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2005, 05:32:57 PM »
Well fellas, my payment is going out first thing in the morning; certified mail, of course. I did make a change to my order upon recommendation from my friend. He told me I probably should get an inverted style ligiature as opposed to that of a standard ligiature. He recommended the Rovner Dark Ligiature. So, I got it. I knocked off the Selmer Ligiature and Cap (no Bams, not to make you happy :roll:  :) ). Which actually saved me about $10. Hey, $10 is $10 right?

Bams, where are ya man? Start goin to the library more  :)  :-D . As soon as my new tenor comes in I'll start recording again. And as soon as I get a new CD player. HAHAHA :-D  :-D . Take care fellas.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2005, 04:16:32 PM »
Where are you guys anyway?

Order went out today :P  :grin: . Certified mail, so I'll prolly have all the stuff except the tenor (which ain't doin me a whole lot of good) within 10 business days after they send it. Then the tenor will come whenever. Ohh wowsers. It's been way too long :roll:  :) .

Come one fellas. I need some support here  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #414 on: April 07, 2005, 01:37:33 AM »
Anticipation.............................

:wink:  :D  :wink:  :D  :wink:

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #415 on: April 07, 2005, 09:54:13 AM »
To say the least... :) .  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #416 on: April 08, 2005, 12:40:41 PM »
Howdy noise (i mean music) makers!  

I see that Selmer has successfully extracted huge funds from Fish's bankroll!  *smiles*

Today, I went down to the music store and tried a couple mouthpieces.  A Selmer Series 80, and a Meyer 5M.  Well, after playing on it awhile, I could tell that it was easier to play pianissimo with the Meyer.  They knocked off 30%, making it cheaper than WWBWs price, so now I gots me a rubber mouthpiece.  I hope you're finally happy Fish.

The reeds went out this morning.  I hope you enjoy them.  May they last you years and years and years.  *laughing*

What else is new?  Oh yeah, I found a 17 piece jazz band to hang out with on Wednesday evenings.  Some of these guys/gals are very very hot.  The bass player, Kim Ciara, used to play with a band called Spyra Gyra.  Anyone remember them?  They've also got a great altoist and a great trumpet player who can also sing like Louis Armstrong - believe it or not.

I'm still trying to find a better job so I can afford Internet at home again.  I know that it won't be too much longer - something has got to come through for me.  

Glad to see that you guys are still having fun out there!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #417 on: April 08, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »
Hey Bams,

Good luck with the job. I'm empathizing for you right now. I couldn't imagine having nothing left but an apartment and a sax...hope ya don't have to sell that too :shock: .

Yeppers. The Selmer has done me in. Oh well. Anyday now... :twisted:

You oughta hook me up with one of them band members Bams (female, of course... :) ). Just kidding. My loving wife would have to do almost anything in her power to make me leave her :-D .

Anyhoo, hope to hear from ya more often. GO TO THE LIBRARY MORE  :)  :-D .  :D
JP

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2005, 05:32:31 PM »
Howdy noise (i mean music) makers!

Fish, I think he's trying to hurt our feelings.   :(   He hit the mark because the truth hurts!!! LOL  :)  :-D  :)  :-D  :)

Bams, thanks for sending out those reeds, I hope you did not go to any expense on our account.  Do you want a reed guard? I have an extra I can send your way, just let me know.

Cool about the jazz band, are you just hanging out or will they let you jam with them?  It must be fun in either case.  I remember Sprya Gyra (somewhat).

Good luck on the job, I'm praying for ya.  Come back often, Fish has been having to talk to himself a lot as I'm not keeping up my end! LOL

Take care,
Curtis

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #419 on: April 08, 2005, 05:47:34 PM »
Haha...I talk to myself a lot... :)  :-D .

Oh Bams I also forgot; nice on the new rubber mouthpiece. You lucky dog you, now if I could just get one. Of course I could always take that metal Otto off of your hands :) . Pshha, the day you did that the world would end. As I hope it would.

Curtis, whadaya mean 'our' feelings? I'm the only one makin noise anymore, so that one was for me :evil:  :) .

OMG...if I wait any longer on this tenor I sware to someone somewhere I will flip out. It feels like it will NEVER get here...but I kno it will :cry: .

Talk to ya later fellas. Oh by the way, I could really use answer on that Adobe question too if any of ya'lls have an answer. Take care.  :D
JP