Author Topic: Anyone Here A Musician?  (Read 17605 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2005, 02:39:46 PM »
Quote from: Fishman029
And I assume that's $$$ up the wazoo? Don't got it man, otherwise I'd spend it on a Selmer.

No, not at all.  They are for sale on eBay and in pawn shops all the time.  I'm guessing about $700.00 for a nice one???  I'm not trying to persuade you in any way either.  It's just that like the vintage horns because they don't make them that way anymore, and a lot of modern horns don't have that sound.  Caveat emptor though.  It never hurts to have a technician check it out BEFORE you buy it.

Fish - check out this website:

www.worldwidesax.com
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline macbullet

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2005, 04:11:58 AM »

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2005, 04:50:22 AM »
Aw, heck with it. I can't stand the thought of NOT owning a Selmer. Here's my intended target. Most expensive, approx $4,000. But montly payments at $100/month that's $1,200/year, so almost 4 years this puppy will be mine.

Supposed to be a tenor with the features of the MarkVI. Hope so. I like that antiqued finish as well.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2005, 05:19:27 AM »
Sure looks like you are enjoying your shopping!  Why not an original MKVI tenor? *smiles*

macbullet:  Those are some real beauties!  Are they yours?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2005, 05:25:28 AM »
BamBams, you find me one and I'll think about it :roll: . I actually never knew they made a MarkVI tenor. I always thought it was just alto.  :?  :D
JP

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2005, 05:31:29 AM »
Hah!  If I were to find one for you, that would take all your fun away!  You press on friend!  It seems like you're doing great!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline macbullet

• Avid Poster
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2005, 12:17:37 PM »
Nice :P :agree: :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2005, 12:39:37 PM »
Quote from: macbullet
"macbullet: Those are some real beauties! Are they yours?"

BamBams, no, they are not mine, wish they were (at least the Tele).
They were made by Alan Hamel when he was a master builder for the Fender Custon Shop.
I have no idea who owns them, I just thought they were the coolest Fender's I've ever seen, so I started using them as a background on my screen. My Tele is a Nashville that's just about plain vanilla.

What kind of music are you into right now?  You know what really chaps my butt?  I've been looking at a lot of instrument catalogs lately.  My daugher just took up the drums.  Anyway, I first noticed this with the guitars, then I realized they are starting to do it with almost ALL popular instruments.  What am talking about?  Trying to make them look old and worn on purpose.  I mean, I can understand a vintage finish, but to actually add chips, dents, etc to a brand new instrument really seems stupid to me.  What kind of person does this appeal to?

Anyway, here's an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/pc0002_1.html
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2005, 02:43:55 PM »
Seems to me this guy that is making "WELL USED GUITAR FAKES" Ought to have his fingers cut off!  :x  :x  :x
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
Yeah.  What gets me though is why someone would want to "pretend" their instrument is well used when it isn't.  It's just sick.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2005, 03:28:48 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Yeah.  What gets me though is why someone would want to "pretend" their instrument is well used when it isn't.  It's just sick.

Either to make them look like they have been playing longer than they have or to make them look like they have a well used Vintage Guitar. In either case it is BS and Fakery and really should not be encouraged though there is nothing saying some jerk cannot do it. The thing is if he misrepresents it as a origional and makes money on it he should be arrested for Fraud!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline macbullet

• Avid Poster
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2005, 03:40:45 PM »

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2005, 06:04:29 PM »
Fish:

Here is your Selmer MK VI tenor.....and if ya ask me, it's a steal!  Especially considering who restored it.

[/img]
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline trick45

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2005, 06:35:46 PM »
I play baritone horn / euphonium, drums and mallet percussion, and I could probably still get by on trumpet. But most of the music I do now is vocal - I direct a church choir.

Peace
Kevin

Offline Robert

Who'da thought?
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2005, 07:06:51 PM »
Who'da thought this thread would take off like this???  A buncha gun nuts, but as it turns out almost as many players and pickers.  We almost need to split this up into two topics though...Guitars and saxaphones. Started out with guitars, but sounds like there are more Sax players.  Maybe we should have the First Annual GreayBeardOutdoors Jam Session?
....make it count

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2005, 12:47:05 AM »
True Robert.  In fact, I was just waiting for someone to say that this thread doesn't belong on an outdoors forum.  I was going to direct that person straight to Ted Nugent!  *laugh*

It just goes to show ya that outdoorsmen/women are multi-talented people also.  We are definitely underated/underestimated in some parts.  

You know what I'd like to learn to play someday?  Bagpipes.  Yup.  I've already got the "windbag" attitude, so why not?  Back when I was a kid, I went through several instruments before finding the sax.

Let's see.  I tried trumpet lessons first.  I didn't take to it.  I tried trombone - loved that, but nobody else did.  Then it was the guitar, but I was done with that in a week.  I still mess with an electronic keyboard sometimes to create an accompaniment for my sax practice.

I read a great book once that I found in a library.  It was all about matching the right instrument to the right person.  I should have bought that book because now I have one child who we cannot seem to figure out what she might enjoy playing the most.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline opus

• http://milneweb.com
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2005, 05:01:13 PM »
Well...we dont play, but we sing Southern Gospel, does that count?

http://milneweb.com/music/demo.mp3 is a taste, if any are intested.

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2005, 05:04:43 PM »
Of course that counts!  The human voice is the greatest instrument of all - well, I guess that could depend on whose voice?  HAHAHA!  I'll definitely listen to your recording later.  Thank you for sharing it with us.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline opus

• http://milneweb.com
Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2005, 05:37:47 PM »
Actually, that is a demo we made for our son...who sings the bass part.  This will be his career so we had some folks record it, live one night where we sang.

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2005, 07:00:23 PM »
Hope it all goes well opus!

BamBams, I'm in progress of tryin to get that song. I have to go into Adobe Audition and extract it from the CD, which of course requires me logging onto Admin and all this happy horse doo doo. You'll have it soon enough. Awesome song!  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2005, 07:06:28 PM »
Hold the phone Fish.  You are probably not aware of this, but it's illegal to do what you are trying to do - copyright laws, etc.  I appreciate your wanting to share the song with me, but this isn't the best way to go about it.  *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2005, 07:28:27 PM »
Ah come on, live a lil.  :)

Actually, I don't think there's a way for you to post a file on this anyway. Eh, I'll figger it out.  :D
JP

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2005, 11:23:38 AM »
Anybody do bagpipes? I'm of Scottish descent and absolutely love them.  :D
JP

Offline Robert

I don't play but
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2005, 02:16:11 PM »
I am also Scottish, but I don't much care for the pipes.  Most everytime I hear them, somebody is dead.
....make it count

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2005, 10:02:50 PM »
Well, I'm not 100% Scottish, so I'll probably suck at it.  *smiles*

One thing is for sure, you won't be seeing me in a kilt anytime soon either! I wonder what a good set of REAL bagpipes would cost?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2005, 01:45:11 PM »
Music...gotta love it... :P

I just got my clarinet back :grin: . I just done with an amazing practice session. I think I might have topped almost three hours :eek: .

But in that three hours I played, I have almost perfected the 'going over the break' horror I had before. Plus I don't squeak...that much...:wink:. It's nice to be able to play along with Kenny G. I played along with two of his songs on it. Nice  :P .  :D

PS: BamBams, I see your back as moderator? Or so it says in the main index. Welcome back.
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2005, 02:32:07 PM »
"Practicing some Jazz lingo...."

"Groooovy  Jack!  Three hours a' smokin' eh?  I'm ain't talkin' bout' the muggles dude. My shed was so lame today.  My pipe was sore, and some cat came over and jived me for hours. Turns out he's just another moldy fig with no chops.  Anyway, I tried to jam, but I schmaltzed everything and then my kid started hammering on the tubs. She's gonna be a good skins player some day.  Supermurgitroid!"

Yup, I'm back.  Actually never left.  I thought I would fake my death and try to collect some insurance, but I got talked out of it.

Somehow, we gotta get you off this Kenny G stuff before your brain turns into mush.  Ummmm......I'm working on it.  Give me time.  *smiles*
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline JPSaxMan

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »
Quote from: BamBams
Somehow, we gotta get you off this Kenny G stuff before your brain turns into mush.  Ummmm......I'm working on it.  Give me time.  *smiles*

That'll take a while. Might even take force  :) . I'm sorry, even if I can play along to his music, I still find most of it relaxing and soothing. You might be able to fit that bill just as good, but your songs aren't for sale :-D.

"Practicing some Jazz lingo...."

"Groooovy  Jack!  Three hours a' smokin' eh?  I'm ain't talkin' bout' the muggles dude. My shed was so lame today.  My pipe was sore, and some cat came over and jived me for hours. Turns out he's just another moldy fig with no chops.  Anyway, I tried to jam, but I schmaltzed everything and then my kid started hammering on the tubs. She's gonna be a good skins player some day.  Supermurgitroid!"

Very interesting indeed.... :P

Yup, I'm back.  Actually never left.  I thought I would fake my death and try to collect some insurance, but I got talked out of it.

Glad to have ya here.  :D
JP

Offline BamBams

Anyone Here A Musician?
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2005, 01:52:08 PM »
Thanks Fish!  

Which clarinet are you using?  My throat is getting better, so tomorrow I'm going to pick up the horn again.

Have you ever ordered any of the Jamey Aebersold stuff?  I am curious as to how helpful his material really is?  I'm thinking about ordering his Book #1.
NRA Handgun Instructor