Author Topic: cast bullets and long throats  (Read 484 times)

Offline halfbreed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
cast bullets and long throats
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:12:45 AM »
Hello again, I have received some good info on IMR powders and the 458 winnie. My next question is, what can be done to a long throat in a cast shooter, other than cutting the barrel back and rechambering? This particular rifle shoots jacketed very well, I just really want to get it shooting cast. I have not done a chamber cast yet. But, I have seated a few 600 grain Ballisti-cast bullets on the gc trying to touch the lead. never found it. I am presently looking for a 500-550 rfn gc bullet to work with. I used a 450 grain cast performance and it keyholed at 50 yards. Looking forward to any suggestions and help. Halfbreed

Offline Lead pot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
cast bullets and long throats
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »
I have a Sharps with a "long throat". The bullet I found that works with it is either paper patched or get a mould made with out a step in the nose (no bore riding bullet) and seat the bullet till it engraves the lanz, or seat a regular bullet way out till it engraves the lanz with the first driving band.
With the long free bore and the bullet set way back the gas cuts will do everything you are having a problem with.
One more thing , if you been shooting Jacketed bullets clean the copper out of the barrel before you shoot lead. That alone might help you.
And match the bullet length with the twist.
Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.