Author Topic: Lead & alloys  (Read 662 times)

Offline rk4570

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead & alloys
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:38:22 AM »
Does anyone know of a source for pure lead or alloys in the Portland Or. area. (100 miles)???
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Lead & alloys
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:59:24 AM »
A couple of suggestions.... Go talk to local demolition contractors or your city's water utility dept.  In my area many old homes still have lead water lines. I have a direct line (if I want pure lead) because I work in city government. I've started to accumulate some for trading stock at black powder gatherings.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Darrell Davis

Lead & alloys
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 07:45:46 AM »
:D Hey there RK4570,

That tip of checking out the demolition contractors is a good one as is the tip of the local water works people. I used to get lead which was used on old water services as a flexable connection between the water main and the service line to the home or business.

I would add one other that might pay off.

I work at Wash. State Univ. - WAZZU - and happened to go past the field house when the skylights were being replaced. Having as "eye" for scraps such as copper and lead, I perked right up when I saw what was coming off the roof.

One of the workers happened to be on the ground and I ask him "is that what I think it is." Well it was, so the next question was, "has anyone spoken for it."

His answer was "take all you want, eat all you take."

That set me on making a number of trips, the 23 miles home, with an over loaded half ton pickup. My partner and I ended up with about five (yes, 5) tons of very good and what appeared to be pure lead.

Because the contractor had the job/contract of installing the new skylights AND getting rid of the scrap/demolition from the old windows, there WAS NO!!!!!!! involment with the "government" big wigs, and therefore no hoops to jump through. We did the contractor a big favor and saved him a bunch of buck in the process. They were happy to see us.

We sent a sample to a Montana bullet maker, and it must have been good/pure, as he and his son came over with a dump truck and hauled a load back for use in their operation.

So, check out the big window contractors - I think these fellows were installing Pella products - who might be involved with replacement of windows/skylights on big/old buildings.

The price of the scrap lead and the "T"steel it was wrapped around was not high enough to make the salvage worth the contractors time/effort, but with a bit of work it was a windfall for us.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline unclenick

Lead & alloys
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 09:05:47 AM »
If you know a good nuclear facility being closed down, it may have lead bricks from the reactor enclosure.  A friend of mine got several tons that way.  Just bring your rad suit.

Nick

Offline Chief

Lead & alloys
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
Here's a suggestion.  You might give the local hospitals a visit.  I was able to get what appears to be pure lead from one once.

They had some 20lb lead bricks that they wanted to get rid of and apparently had had for a long time.  I think they told me they had used them to protect things against xray exposure and/or to contain certain types of medicines that were radioactive.  

I also believe I heard somewhere that the dentists use a layer of lead in those things they put in your mouth during dental xrays.  However, that would seem like a lot of work to me.

Chief

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Lead & alloys
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 04:51:11 PM »
Go to any plumbing supply if they sell retail, or a plumber and have him order it for you. He might even have a pile in the back you can clean up for him.
As far as tin I get mine from a Farm&Fleet store. Go through the plumbing section and watch for sales. I'm a Plumber but I can find it for less there then I can buy it whosale from a supplyer. Get the 95-5 solder. I found some at times for $2 a lb. and when I do I buy several cases if they let me.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Orygun Mark

Lead & alloys
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:15:37 PM »
I would Call St. Johns in Longview, Providence, St. Vincents, OSHU, and other hospitals in the area. Ask about sheet lead from x-ray room remodels and Nuclear Med Canisters. I work at Sacred Heart in Eugene and get all the soft lead I can use when they are doing remodels. We have to pay to get rid of it. Of course most of the hospitals usually have several shooters who try to grab all they can.   Mark

Offline rk4570

Lead & alloys
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:34:25 AM »
Thanks guys, I`ll start looking as soon as the weather allows!! To much ice to get out now! :-) rk4570
I spent a lot of money on Guns, Wild Horses & Wilder Women but I guess I just wasted all the rest!