Author Topic: We are getting a Gander Mountain!  (Read 604 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
We are getting a Gander Mountain!
« on: January 15, 2005, 04:56:55 PM »
It is going to be so nice to have a major outdoor  retail store here in Johnstown.  We have a Dunham's, and their  costomer  service stinks. Its going to be bigger then the one in Greensburg  Pennsylvania.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline BamBams

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 06:29:54 PM »
That's great Sheila!  I spent three days in your little town once.  My transmission died there on a cross country trip.  Cute little mountain town - it deserves a Gander Mountain!
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 04:41:40 AM »
Gander Mountain opened a store in my area a few months ago. They stock around 1600 to 1700 long guns and 75 pistols or so. I have to be honest with you.....their gun prices aren't all that great. I was looking at a Remington 11-87 Premier 20 ga. and Gander Mountain was $75 to $100 (they wanted $699.99) more then everyone else except Bass Pro Shop, they were the same. I bought it at Wal-Mart for $599.99. Gander Mountain would have matched the price.....but I don't play that game. I don't like the idea that if I do my homework and shop around they'll match the price and give me a good deal, and if I don't look around and just go in and buy one from them I get scr*wed!!! I'm not saying that you can't find a good deal, just know what your looking at before you buy it!

I did buy a Remington 870 Express JR. 20 ga. from them. It was a Gander Mountain exclusive. It has a 12 inch length of pull stock (regular is 14 inches and the "youth gun" is 13 inches) and a 18 1/2 inch vent rib barrel with the Remchoke system. I bought it for my wife and kids! :grin: I may buy a 21 inch vent rib barrel for it to add a little weight to the front for my wife. It really is a nice little shotgun! Gander Mountain is big enough that they can have "special runs" of guns exclusively made for them, and thats a good thing!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline NYH1

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 05:35:42 AM »
The staff at the Gander Mountain that just opened up in my area doesn't have a clue about guns. The only one that is worth talking to is their gunsmith and everyone else is already talking to him! They hire the people off the street and put them in the gun department. 9 out of 10 of them don't know about guns.

Bass Pro Shop has a good knowledgable staff. Their about 45 minutes from me so I don't go there two much.

We have a few Dick's Clothing and Sporting Goods to. They have a pretty good staff as well.

Here's what they all wanted for my 11-87.

Gander Mountain $699.99
Bass Pro Shop $699.99
Dick's $619.99 their a lot smaller then Gander and Bass Pro.
Sports Authority $589.99 they had to order a 20 ga. for me. The store just opened and wasn't fully stocked yet!

Don't get me wrong I'm really glad to have a Gander Mountain in my area. They have a large selection of ammo and other supplies as well. Their ammo prices are high as well, same with Bass Pro, but they do have a lot of it. I order most of my ammo anyways it a lot cheaper that way!

Heres a few places I order from!
www.sportsmansguide.com
www.cheaperthendirt.com
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:46:31 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
Sports Authority $589.99 they had to order a 20 ga. for me. The store just opened and wasn't fully stocked yet!

Dali Llama say he might even sell such weapon for $525, IF he do not have it in stock!!! :eek:  :P  :P
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 06:01:52 AM »
Gander Mountain would have matched the price.....but I don't play that game. I don't like the idea that if I do my homework and shop around they'll match the price and give me a good deal, and if I don't look around and just go in and buy one from them I get scr*wed!!!
Dali Llama say he concur with philosophy espoused by New York Hunter -- why give merchant your business after you conduct all relevant research and find out they be shafting you. :twisted:  :x  :evil:
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline brown-trout

GM is ok.........
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:42:45 PM »
GM is ok........not great........OK.

I might be spoiled though............Cabelas Wheeling is 2 hours and change away, Cabelas Dundee (MI) is 2 hours and 45 min away.

BT
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 03:56:56 PM »
We have 2 Gander Mt stores with in 100 miles (one north and one south).  One is 4 times the size of the other.  Neither is particularly well stocked in rifles and especially not in reloading.  They do have some good sales on hunting clothing and boots etc..  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »
The staff at the Gander Mountain that just opened up in my area doesn't have a clue about guns. The only one that is worth talking to is their gunsmith and everyone else is already talking to him! They hire the people off the street and put them in the gun department. 9 out of 10 of them don't know about guns.

Bass Pro Shop has a good knowledgable staff. Their about 45 minutes from me so I don't go there two much.

We have a few Dick's Clothing and Sporting Goods to. They have a pretty good staff as well.

Here's what they all wanted for my 11-87.

Gander Mountain $699.99

I think it  depends  on the  management. Hopefully the Gander  Mountain here will hire experianced  people.
Bass Pro Shop $699.99
Dick's $619.99 their a lot smaller then Gander and Bass Pro.

Don't get me wrong I'm really glad to have a Gander Mountain in my area. They have a large selection of ammo and other supplies as well. Their ammo prices are high as well, same with Bass Pro, but they do have a lot of it. I order most of my ammo anyways it a lot cheaper that way!

Heres a few places I order from!
www.sportsmansguide.com
www.cheaperthendirt.com
[

United we stand against Ovomit.