Author Topic: SHHHHHH Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm huntin' wabbits!  (Read 577 times)

Offline Critter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
SHHHHHH Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm huntin' wabbits!
« on: January 16, 2005, 03:59:23 AM »
Well after a 5 year break in rabbit hunting I got back in the game yesterday with my wifes cousin and his 12 year old daughter.  We were hunting some land that my dad rents for farming that is absolutely over run with rabbits.  She got quite a bit of shooting in but unfortunately did not connect.  I think I have her father talked into a NEF youth gun instead of the 870 she was lugging around.  It didn't fit her very well and you could tell by the end of the day it was too heavy for her to carry all day hunting.
We must have ran or pushed 40 + rabbits between Arn and I stomping brush piles and his beagle running them.  After I got the rust out of my shoulders I got two in a row and then stopped shooting.  I forgot what a pleasure my 28 gauge Pardner is too shoot.  I kept trying to get Shay a rabbit, even to the point of shooting ahead of them to try to turn them, but it just didn't work out.  On the way out I took one more so I have three for the stew pot now.
I am already making plans to get out next weekend to do it all over again. :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
SHHHHHH Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm huntin' wab
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 11:19:31 AM »
Man, I wish I could find rabbits in those numbers around my place. We seem to be overrun with foxes so rabbit, quail, woodcock all seem to have almost vannished. I haven't realy atempted to hunt them this year.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:28:15 AM »
I've never been in them this thick before.  At times we had 3 rabbits working at the same time, it was unreal.  I've already made some calls and I have a better pair of beagles and a couple more fellers coming out next weekend.  I'm also going to pick up some 28 gauge #6's so I can make a bit further shots.  Those #8's I was using this weekend wasn't doing it for long shots.  It was cold, 15 degrees, so I expected them to be tight not running everywhere.

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 02:24:24 PM »
Critter,

Where abouts in Michigan?

I have 2 beagles, very young and inexperienced. We have been hunting on state land at Algonac State Park and up by Port Huron. Unfortunately, not many rabbits to speak of, probably due to the coyote population.

We have had a few good chases so far this year (we only get to go out on the weekends, and as these are "house" dogs, I try not to overwork them by taking them out 2 days in a row).

They brought 1 around full circle yesterday, but I couldn't get a shot with my Pardner 12ga. Too much brush and tangles in the way, although I saw him hopping through several times.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
This property is near Clarksville, 20 odd miles east of Grand Rapids.

My brother has a beagle pup that I think is going to join us next weekend as well.  I love having the young ones along, they are always so enthusiastic!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 03:42:27 PM »
I've always used No.6 20ga on rabbits. My old topper deluxe model 198 put a serious hurtin on the bunnies back when I was a kid. I wish I could hunt over beagles again but I don't know anyone that has them any more.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »
Critter,

If you need extra help, I'd offer the services of my hounds. You can shoot the rabbits. I would just like them to get the experience. They are young and hunting in an area with few rabbits on state land isn't helping much with their education. 1 male is second year and 1 female is first year hunting. They are both 13" dogs and very friendly.

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
HuntenNut,
Ya I could see doing that, only I would have to insist that you hunt with me and kill your fair share of the bunnies :grin: .  I'll get ahold of you via PM sometime and we'll set something up.  This weekend is looking like a bust anyway because of personal commitments.  I always love to hunt with new dogs, and new people 8) .