Author Topic: SQUIRREL HUNTERS.....THE TREE KIND!  (Read 40103 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: SQUIRREL HUNTERS.....THE TREE KIND!
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
Quote from: BGRooster1 link=topic=52523.msg 1098979745#msg 1098979745 date=1262050252
Just found this thread and am I a happy camper.I just skimmed through so maybe this has been mentioned before.Do ya all know about Squirrel Dog Central Forum.I have got the bug to get myself a squirrel dog.
 Sure do enjoy small game hunting.

Funny you mention this... We rescued a nice Lil dog a couple months back. (Dog pound scheduled for euthanization). A good friend happens to be up from Kentucky.. first words out of his mouth, "I see you got yourself a squirrel dog!!" LOL He is a Jack Russell/chiwawa mix. MAN can he Chase down squirrels!! He doesn't mind well enough to be off a lead, but he loves chasing them in the back yard!! He doesn't mind being shot over either!! At least not with the pellet rifle!! I have dusted about a dozen tree rats from the back fence as they "scolded" him form above. LOL

Our deer season is winding down here. Time to get back after them squirrells!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »
cw, down here if their not a full blood terrier, we call squirrel dogs fiests. Some of the older folks called all small dogs fiests.
You got a squirrel dog, you just need to put a come here on him.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline FourBee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
Reminds me of a miniture dashound the kids had years ago.  After a squirrel bit him on the nose he was the huntinest squirrel dog you ever saw.  We sure had some good times together.
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »
howdy all!

i have been to squirrel dog central a couple of times. they post our squirrel skinning video over there a while back.

i have never actually hunted a squirrel with a dog. have had a few folks who said they were bringng them to the shawnee invitational but then they never showed up. i thought i would get to see what it was all about. truthfully, i doubt that squirrel dogs would of any use there especially in september.

i have been a still hunter all my life and i enjoy it. i like to find squirrels for myself. Still, i would like to try a squirrel dog hunt someday.

luck!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2010, 05:30:14 PM »
Have you ever used a squirrel call SQUACKS? I have a good squirrel dog, but I get more still huntin and with a call.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2010, 01:56:58 AM »
Glad to find this thread and read along.... I haven't had a chance to get our squirrel hunting in a few years and am looking forward to getting out again!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »
Dee;

i have owned one or 2 over the years. my dad gave me one of those Mr squirrel whistles once.

Guess i have no faith in any squirrel call as the only time i ever tried them is when i could not find a squirrel on my own and then still didn't find any when i tried the call! lol!

i have a friend who uses one of those mouse squeakers that predator hunters use. he says that makes them bark bout as good as anything. he also uses the mr. squirrel whistle and has luck with it. he really does not need a call as he is a very good still hunter.

i have not carried a squirrel call in many years.

Squirrels around here are in rut and are pretty easy to find. i just listen for the growling and cchhhhrrrr sounds. when you find them there are usually more than 2 and less than 2 dozen! lol!

season here is in until mid feb. and i aim to get out a few more times. there was a good population of squirrels most places i hunted this year and the mast crop was exceptional. Barring a really tough winter, next year should be no worse than this one and this was a goodin!

luck!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:41 PM »
was out in western il. handgun hunting for deer this past weekend and saw loads of deer and loads of squirrels!

in one spot there was a fair sized crab apple tree that was just covered in apples this fall.

the apples are still on it. at least most of them are. the cold has loosened quite a few and there are a mass of deer tracks under that tree.

And squirrels! the tree sits out away from the edge of the woods. the squirrels just kept going out to it. bunches of squirrels!

it sure was frustrating wasting all that good squirrel hunting time sitting round waiting for bald headed deer!

so there it is. if you know where there is an apple tree of any kind that still has apples, you may want to go check that out.

luck!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
got out last Sunday for a 1-day hunt. Typical late winter Wisconsin day. TYhis is the last weekend for that state.

a friend and i got a few.

luck!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2010, 01:54:44 PM »
Nice catch SQUACKS:
Our 2009 season is all but over.  I didn't have much success this winter.   Too wet most of the time.   May try for an early 2010 Spring hunt this year.
4B

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
FourBee:

there is a spring hunt in south west  Mo. every June. i have been 2 times.

Spring hunting squirrels is much different than fall! guess i have not done it enough over there yet to figure out what squirrels are doing at that time of the year.

they got plenty of ticks there that time of year! never saw so many. Permethrin(only on your clothes!) is definitely a good idea! bugskins under that wont hurt either.

last year i used both and only got 3 stuck to me.

luck!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #221 on: February 14, 2010, 05:52:36 AM »
Today is the last day of the squirrel season here in Il.

It's going to be a mighty long dry spell...............

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2010, 07:19:46 AM »
Howdy all!

Was out turkey huntin in S. Ill. a couple of weeks ago.

When i am out in the spring, I always keep an eye out for what the spring squirrel population looks like. What I saw looked good too.

There were a fair amount of squirrels to be seen and they seemed to be in small bunches.

It was enough to make me hopeful for a good population of squirrels come this fall!

Just hope that this early spring weather does not frost the mast bloom.

luck!

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2010, 08:08:19 AM »
 ;) Squacks, do you ever try spring squirrel hunting...seems to me you hit Mo....for a spring hunt...we have few squirrel here in Wy.  shot quite a few when I was a kid in Pa. and then a bunch in W.Va. in the early years of my retirement...but the W. Va. area has b een cut and it is lost...what are your favorite states for squirrel?????????????????????

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2010, 03:16:20 PM »
Wyo. Coyote Hunter:

you can find the particulars for this years Mo. Spring Hunt here.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318078

It's a campout hunt and the license is a good deal. I think Mo. jumped the daily limit on squirrel this year to 10/day. Mo. has a lot of public ground and loads of squirrels. Spring season though Can be tough.

not sure i will be there this spring.

There are spring seasons in Ark., Tenn. and KY. as well but I have never hunted those states that time of year.

I have been talking to a lot of squirrel hunters from lots of states over the years and it seems to me that if I were going to bet on a good population of squirrels in any of those states, it would be Mo.
Their season is long(about 9-1/2 months) and they have a lot of public ground to use.

luck!

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
 :D Thanks...good hunting...

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »
 Around my place this year we are going to have another good hickory season. this will make 2 seasons in a row, which is fairly unusual around here.

It also seems there will be quite a few young squirrels aound to eat them this fall when they mature...or even before.

A few years ago on a spring hunt in Mo. I found a shagbark hickory which had a lot of small developing nuts on it.

one of those evenings, I saw 3 young gray squirrels in that tree eating those nuts. no type of shell or nut was inside. there was only a soft pithy substance inside and that is what those squirrels were eating.

It seemed apparent that that particular tree could not have many nuts to mature for the fall if those young squirrels stayed around there for long.

Offline pmeisel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #227 on: July 25, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
From the pignut hickories in my yard, looks like a good nut crop this year!

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2010, 11:26:33 AM »
It got down in the 60's last night so I went out and shot 4 red squirrels with my CZ .22. 3 out of one tree. It started warming up so I left. Thank goodness for the Thermacell!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2010, 02:04:09 PM »
that ain't fair ba_50
just kiddin' .   It's been so hot, I haven't even thought of goin after squirrels.   Those CZ's are nice.   Out-a-curiosity; what kind of ammo did you use?  I like the RWS sub-sonics, but they're a little expensive.

Offline ba_50

• Avid Poster
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »
that ain't fair ba_50
just kiddin' .   It's been so hot, I haven't even thought of goin after squirrels.   Those CZ's are nice.   Out-a-curiosity; what kind of ammo did you use?  I like the RWS sub-sonics, but they're a little expensive.

I use Federal Champion 510's.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #231 on: August 08, 2010, 09:14:06 AM »

posted by: 4B  "Out-a-curiosity; what kind of ammo did you use? "
 posted by ba_50:  " I use Federal Champion 510's"

That's an excellent round for the CZ rifle.
Because of the Ticks, I'll wait until after the 1st Frost to go after those little critters.  I found some grays in a new area I want to try.

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
FourBee:

get yourself some permethrin and treat your hunting clothes with it. follow the instructions. it works on ticks and chiggers both and one treatment lasts 6 weeks or six washings.

it kills both of the varmints and i for one aint sad about it!!!! lol!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #233 on: August 17, 2010, 01:14:11 PM »
there are several invitational squirrel hunts coming up soon. next weekend is the annual one in Indiana and I plan to be there.

i have started a pile! Squirrel season is about to start! whoopie!

luck!

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »
made it out to n/w Il.  this weekend for a little squirrel hunting.

it was cool (mid 40's) both mornings and clear windless skies  at daybreak. 

Saw enough squirrels but had problems hitting them! lol! Still trying to figure out my new rifle and i think i got the bugs out now.

there is a load of mast out there this year and i believe in a month or so i will go back. i think there will be a mess of young squirrels moving in there by then.

hope you all have a great season and stay safe!

luck!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »
Glad to see someone's stirring the squirrels up.   What with these cool mornings slipping in I'm going to have to get after 'em too.

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2010, 11:07:32 AM »
FourBee:

Better get out there after them!

this coming Sat. is the start date for the annual Shawnee squirrel hunt invitational which is located on the southern tip of Il.

i have been pilin up stuff and repairing my camping gear.

taking a variety of squirrel guns to handle the situations i THINK may ocurr. they are .22 long rifle, .22 mag. rifle and a .32 cal. caplock rifle for the irons sights contest.

i suspect that the squirrels will be in the beech and oak timber. it's been a couple of years since there were beechnuts down there. i think this will be the one!

I am hoping for cool still mornings and evenings..but...it will be great to be hunting in that piece of timber no matter what type of weather comes along.

2 years ago, we had the remnants of a hurricane come up. it was sure tough on the tents! lol!

luck!

Offline FourBee

« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2010, 09:06:42 AM »
Good luck SQUACKS !
and a .32 cal. caplock rifle for the irons sights contest.

Now just to carry that caplock into the woods would be a real treat.  I know alot of guys complain that a .32cal is too contrary to handle, and they recommend at least a .40cal., but in my opinion, those .32's are the neatest, and more ideal for that kinda hunt.  By the way, what make is your's ?  I don't have one, but I'm wishing for one.

Offline SQUACKS

• Avid Poster
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2010, 01:24:52 PM »
i built mine out of parts from dixie gun works. It has my name on the side of the gun! lol!

it is more like a chunk rifle having a 15/16 across the flats barrel that is 40" long with that little hole in the middle. it's a pennsylvania style round ball rifle. I figure if you want to hunt much with a black powder gun, it's going to have to be small game and squirrels are the perfect quarry.

it is fun to hunt with which i will be doing come this sunday evening during the annual iron sights contest!

luck!

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #239 on: October 05, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
I hunt the early season with an ancient Iver Johnson scatter gun in 16 gauge.  Low base # 6 does the job every time.  This shotgun was my Grandad's and it's seen much use for about 100 years yet it always shoots straight.

I typically wear GI woodland camo pants.  The knees and seat area have extra materiel and the large cargo pockets are great.  For a shirt, I often wear plaid with large pattern.  Cap is orange and I usually cover my face with a camo scarf.

Thick moccasin style slippers help me to walk quietly in the forest.  I often use a Lohman "barker" call to get 'em out in the open.

After all the leaves are gone, I switch to Marlin bolt action 22 MAG with 2X - 7X scope.  But because of its deadly range, I'm extra careful about safe back stop before shooting.

Squirrel hunting is great fun and wonderful meals as well!

TR