Author Topic: IWB Holster (5" 1911) Advice?  (Read 579 times)

Offline bfpgw

• Trade Count: (2)
IWB Holster (5" 1911) Advice?
« on: January 17, 2005, 06:29:35 PM »
I carry concealed but have only done so recently and since a jacket that covered my holstered pistil looked natural.  Need to find a holster that works for my 5'9" 170 lb frame, preferably without a vest, etc.  I have looked at some like the Galco SkyOps tuckable holster.  In warm weather I can seldom justify wearing a sport coat or long vest.  All the good ones appear to be at least $60+ so I might as well spend what I need to the first time and not start a "holster storage box".  Besides, that bowling ball shooter is a big chunk to just slip in your pants willy nilly.  Particularly when it is cocked and locked.

Galco and others make some reasonably priced IWB holsters which some lend themselves to reholstering easier.  I don't know if I am in a hurry to reholster it if I had to pull it anyway.  But those still don't allow you to tuck your shirt in.  The SkyOps claims to be difficult to detach and back again, but if it is concealed well enough I'll remove it once a day.  Can a guy my size expect not to "print" when tucking in over a 5" 1911?  Or should I just get a .380 Kel-Tec for warm weather when I can't wear my shirt out?

The Galco SkyOps seems to be what would work in a behind-the-hips position, but what about SOB tuckables that carry the butt up with a more horizontal barrel angle?  The Blackhawk SOB looks like the position I'd prefer, but it isn't IWB.  Anyone have any experience to share?  Do I have to go to a totally custom holster for it to be good enough to work well?

I know, too many questions.  The 1911 is so comfortable to shoot but it feels like a big task to holster up at this point.

BFPGW
Always need another gun.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 09:11:26 PM »
Alessi, Tucker, Horseshoe, ect the list is endless.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
Holsters
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »
Try taking a look at the Milt Sparks holeters.  A friend is a "bodyguard" and carries a full size 1911 model all the time.  Ask anyone that owns one and they will support my suggestion.  

I shoot a full frame G22 and use a Comp-TAC holster.  I live in FL and don't wear a vest, however I usually wear shorts, boat shoes, and a long cover shirt over a t-shirt, easily hiding my "accessory".  If I want deep cover, I wear a regular shirt and tuck it.  The Comp-TAC is tuckable and hides completely.  Check out their websight.  

Go to Glocktalk.com for extended conversations about holsters and opinions on each.  They also have a "lending library" of holsters that you might be able to try one before buying.  

Hope this helps.
Bob
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline bfpgw

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 04:12:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips Bob.  I've seen the Glock talk forum, but only visited when I was collecting advice for my wife's Glock purchase.  The holster library sounds like a nice opportunity.  I'll see what turns up.

I looked at a few more brands today and found more interesting holsters and more indecision.  The Tucker folks have a few nice tuckable units that look interesting.  Furthermore, my wife is from Houston.  Her brother in law, who is a gun nut too, may stop in for me to check some out.
Always need another gun.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »
I carry on occasion a 1911 tucked in the small of my back. I bought a holster for it but it carries the gun butt up. Its awkward for me as I am used to grabbing the gun butt down. Try it and see. Other than sitting for extended a extended time it a ok carry for 1911.
Jim