Author Topic: Going from MO to Iowa with CCW permit?  (Read 715 times)

Offline Paul S

• Trade Count: (0)
Going from MO to Iowa with CCW permit?
« on: January 18, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »
:?: Hi guys, I'm planning a trip in March to run up to Iowa from MO. I have spent two days searching the net to see if Iowa will recongize my MO CCW permit. I have found web sights that say yes and no. I sure don't want to end up in the pokie up in Iowa over packin heat. I have gotten so used to having my 45 with me it would feel weird to leave it at home.
Thanks,
Paul

Offline jhm

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:07:28 AM »
Go to packing.ord and it states NO for Mo.

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 04:32:04 AM »
Actually that should be www.packing.org

Ka6otm

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:54:30 AM »
Hmmm, looks like a big NO, doesn't look like Iowa's very gun friendly.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 02:35:15 PM »
Ok I thought I posted a reply to Pauls post. Well I need a better whisky or get off this board sooner.
You will need to contact the sheriffs association(looked bad when I shortened it up) Do a google ask them. We have 99 counties here and the sheriff decides. Should not have a problem.
Jim

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 09:01:24 AM »
:D For a good readily available source of firearms information purchase a copy of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States."  It's a state by state guide to the laws of each state, it gives concealed carry reciprocity, glove compartment carry (where legal), vehicle carry and other information.  It covers the carry of handguns, rifles, shotguns, semiautomatics and machine guns, it also includes the new federal law for retired police officers.  The book is written by a pro-gun attorney in plain english.
You can order a copy for $12.95 plus $3. for shipping and handling from:

Traveler's Guide
     P.O. BOX 2156
     Covington, KY 41012

Or by phone credit card) (859) 647-5100, 9am-5pm EST mon-Fri.  

It's a few bucks that may save your bacon while traveling.  I am not a salesman, just a owner of the book.  :grin:

Offline Yodar

CCW State-to-State
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 10:38:04 AM »
An instructor in a CCW class I took at Gunsite suggested if one wished to carry concealed in another state it would be wise to call the state's attorney general's office at the state capital and ask what the law is.  Make sure you get the name, number, and position of the individual spoken to. The laws change rapidly in this area and it is hard for publications and website to be up to the minute.  Just a word to the wise from a Gunsite (Pauldin, AZ) staff member.

Offline stolivar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »
they do not honor anybodies permit

steve

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 12:21:03 PM »
So, if you have your permit, and you are traveling through or to a State that doesn't have carry permits, what do you do with your gun? Take the ammo out and put a trigger lock on it? If you get pulled over for a traffic stop, you have to give him your carry lic. because it will show up when he runs a check on your drivers license that you have one.....What do you do?

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline TOGO

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 04:51:59 PM »
Jim,

It's not against the law to have the pistol with you while traveling to or through the non gun friendly states except for a couple on the east coast. But you must have it stowed away in a case with the ammunition stored seperately, do leave the ammo in you magazines, that to is a no no. Most states have rules on where in your vehicle your firearm can be kept in relationship to where you are sitting. I live in Michigan but visit my family every year in Iowa, so I deal with that same situation when traveling through Illinois into Iowa every Christmas.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 06:49:30 PM »
TOGO,

I guess if I am going to do alot of traveling around, like in an RV, I should buy that bok on what the state laws are..

Thanks,

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm