Author Topic: barrel questions  (Read 431 times)

Offline fortress49

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
barrel questions
« on: January 19, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »
Hello,

I have a Handi-Rifle and would like to get some shotgun barrels fitted but I was a bit confused by the listings on the "Barrel Accessory" page of the H&R web-site.  Following are some questions:

1) Do the "Standard Partner Shotgun" barrels come with screw in chokes?  Or, are they fixed chokes?

2)  Do the "Partner Youth Shotgun" barrels come with fixed or screw in chokes?

3)  I would also like to get a cylinder bore shotgun barrel but I noticed that is not offered.  Can a cylinder bore screw-in choke tube be purchased from another manufacturer?  This would be used for a smoothbore slug gun.  

4)  This is a follow-up question to number 3.  If you cut the chocke off of a smoothbore barrel, do you get a barrel with a cylinder bore?  Or, does a cylinder bore have a bit of restriction as well.  

Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Matt

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
barrel questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »
ortress49, welcome to the forum.  All Pardner barrels have fixed full or modified chokes.  H&R does offer 12 ga Turkey/Goose barrels with screw in chokes (same thread as Browning Invector/Mossberg 500 /Winchester 1200,1300 & 1400) that would fit your receiver.  

Most slugs shoot better thru a Modified choke so you may want to rethink the cylinder bore.  Yes cutting the choked portion of a shotgun barrel leaves you with a cylinder bore rendering the barrel more or less useless IMO.  

H&R has just come out with a pair of single barrel vent ribbed shotguns with screw in chokes in 12 & 20 gauges called the Topper Deluxe Classic.  I don't think these barrels are available as an add on thru the barrel program yet.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC