Author Topic: Pistol in Glove Box in cold weather?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Scorpius

• Trade Count: (0)
Pistol in Glove Box in cold weather?
« on: January 20, 2005, 01:11:54 AM »
I have what probably amounts to a stupid question, but as I'm paranoid about firearms care, I'll ask anyway.  I work for a certain employer who shall remain nameless that forbids employees to carry on their premises.  Fine.  Whatever they want.  I do, however, want to be able to leave it in my glove box in my car, as I often work late hours and it's pretty dark in a parking lot with no lights.  It's also pretty damn cold in Ohio right now, so I want to know:  will being left in the cold for 12+ hours potentially damage my Bersa?  Thanks all.
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline jgalar

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 01:36:42 AM »
The cold won't harm the gun, but the parking lot is still on your company's premises. You will still be violating their policy, but my lips are sealed.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 02:05:19 AM »
Scorpius - the cold won't hurt it but even with jgalar's advice, the darn thing being in your glove box won't help you a bit on the way to the car.  Worse, it could be stolen from your car and then you would be in Dutch twice, with the cops and your employer.  There has to be a better way.  Hope to hear some suggestions from the others.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 02:27:45 AM »
I, and probably those at your company in charge of this policy, are in a don't tell mood. If this is the case, then I would do as I need and not worry. The issue of it being stolen, and I worry about that also, is a doable thing with a gunsafe bolted in the car.
There are a number of these products available and seem easy enough to install. They come with a lot of different ideas. Find one in a search on the web that suits your thought.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Scorpius

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 09:11:07 AM »
Hmm, no way I could get away with the Bersa on my body.  Might have to pick up a Kel-Tec P32 for ankle or pocket carry.  Something to think about.  Anyway, thanks everybody.
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »
As to your original question, the cold wouldn't hurt anything, but be careful about over-lubing it, as extreme cold can turn some oils to sludge, and make firing impossible.  And too little lube is as bad as too much!

As to the rest of your situation, a good knife might be a more viable alternative, at least until you can get to your gun safe, bolted into the trunk somewhere.  

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 02:09:12 AM »
Quote from: papajohn428
As to your original question, the cold wouldn't hurt anything, but be careful about over-lubing it, as extreme cold can turn some oils to sludge, and make firing impossible.  And too little lube is as bad as too much!

As to the rest of your situation, a good knife might be a more viable alternative, at least until you can get to your gun safe, bolted into the trunk somewhere.  

Papajohn
I'll second that lubing idea, as I have an FAL (I know it's not a pistol, BUT) that refuses to cycle consistently in cold weather when there is much more than a microscopic amount of oil or lub on its' rails...

My Glock, well I haven't worked up to shooting that one frozen yet :P
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline Scorpius

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 03:10:23 PM »
Oh yeah ,I forgot about the viscosity problem, it will get pretty thick in the cold.  Also, props on the condensation post, forgot about that too.  And I just picked up a knife today, before I read the post even.  I was thinking along those same lines, might be good enough to give me time to get into the car should something unexpected happen.  But I still want to get a P32.  My work is posting to my account an extra bonus for exemplary overall performance over last year, so that money is as good as spent, I think .  Damn the Bug bite!
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/