Author Topic: Carry at work?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Carry at work?
« on: January 20, 2005, 10:16:42 PM »
I have a question about a topic similar to what Scorpius posted.  How many of you have an employer that forbids firearms on company premises?  If you're a LEO, this question is probably a moot point, since carrying is part of your job anyway.  But for the Average Joe, it can be problematic.  I have to commute an hour to my job.  It's conceiveable that I might break down somewhere along the way and have to walk in a bad area.  So I would like to carry when I go to work.

But I don't want to leave a gun in the car all day.  I usually have to park off company property (not enough spaces for employees).  Even on company property, there's still the possibility of your car being broken into.

For those of you with an anti-gun employer, do you carry on the job anyway?  Leave it in the car?  Leave it at home?

I should probably point out that I'm not yet aware of my company's policy regarding firearms.  I just started a new job recently, and they haven't yet gone over 'company rules' with me.  But there are no signs posted anywhere on the property prohibiting firearms.
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Carry at work?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 11:05:45 PM »
As I type this at work, I am 20 feet from the "No Firearms Allowed" sign in our lobby.  Luckily, I work armed as a guard.  But this employer has decided no firearms are allowed in the building, and has chosen to ignore the parking lots.  I know for a fact there are over 25 loaded firearms in worker's vehicles out there, another reason I stress to the outdoor guys to guard those cars well!  Bad enough a car were to be stolen off our lots under our noses, worse yet with a gun inside!  In this case it's more of a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, the company knows there are some folks with guns, but as long as they stay outside, no one cares.  

Were I to run a company that didn't have public access, I'd want all the armed employees I could get!  If one were to go bananas, the rest would take him out, possibly before he ever got a shot off!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Carry at work?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 03:19:09 AM »
I know you asked about those that work for a "no carry" company..   however, my company is PRO gun and very conservative(uncle is the owner/boss)

I'm allowed to carry at work, boss wants it to be legal though-so those who do, has to have a permit.  He prefers it to be concealed to not scare off walk-in customers.  Even the couple liberal employees we have dont mind at all, one of which asked me about which gun would be best for her and the permit involved to carry.  Everyone here is a hunter or outdoors person, male and female.  So the work environment is quite good for firearms.

I do disarm myself when I go into a customer's house for cable tv or internet problems.  ...no law requiring it here in PA, I do so out of respect for the customers.  It gets locked in my car or company vehicle(depending on what I take that day).  There are few customers that I know are VERY pro-gun/carry, and they have insisted that I carry when I need to do a service call at their house.

I know there's people out there that insist on carrying everywhere, and feel that private property restrictions are imposing.  Just as much as we want them to respect our needs and rights to carry, we must respect their wishes or their belief's on their own property.  ....When in Rome, do as the Roman's.   ....and when they are on your property, make it known that the MUST carry to stay on your land. lol
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Carry at work?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:06:10 AM »
Rex - get one of those briefcases that conceals your weapon with a hidden flap and stuff it in that after you get to work.  I did that for 30 yrs and it worked for me.  But, don't ever let anyone know or you're history, I'm sure.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Carry at work?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 01:46:51 PM »
Can't carry at work and cannot legally secure it in a vehicle in NY State so the gun stays home when I go to work...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline inluvwithsara

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Carry at work?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 08:00:15 AM »
Nope, I work in a fed building...so nope...worse then that I am in hell (also known as DC)  I live in Va, I get home, I strap my tool of the day on...only for work do I come here...
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Offline CB900F

Carry at work?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »
Fella's;

I'm a locksmith in a shop that offers 24/7 service.  I carry, my boss knows I carry & has no problems with it.  When you get called out to open cars anywhere in town at any hour of the day or night; well 911 is on speed dial on my cel phone & the high security deadbolt is on my person.

900F
Trying to eat chili without drinking beer is like trying to breathe without using air.

Offline chris s

Carry at work?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 05:18:45 AM »
WNY- Can you tell me where the rules for storage in a vehicle are written?

Offline Paul S

Carry at work?
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 07:38:05 PM »
:roll: I work in a Hospital doing MRI scans so it's a no no at my work. In MO you can't carry in a Hospital. We can't bring any metallic objects near the magnet room. And we wear scrubs and I think my Kimber would pull my britches down with just a draw string to hold em up.

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
Carry at work?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
Before I go into work, I take the S & W Airweight .38 snub out of my pocket and drop my .32 Davis Derringer into it.  My key ring makes a bigger bulge in my other pocket.  I know it is not much but it is better than nothing.  Also you have to have a key card to even open the doors to my office, so unless one of my coworkers goes postal, it hopefully will be adequate until I get back to my vehicle and put the .38 back in my pocket.  My vehicle is parked only about 10 feet from the door that I use to enter my office.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
carry at work
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 04:41:34 PM »
I had an executive postion with a national corporation. I worked in the corporate HQ and legally carried concealed nearly every day. Company had a lengthy and comprehensive written policy for employees to sign that included a clause forbidding firearms on the property including parking lot. I never signed it though they kept sending me copies to sign. I suggtested to the VP of personnel that a public policy forbidding firearms was an invitation to any nutcase that he would be safe if he entered the building to hurt anyone. I promised that if any such event occured that I would be the first to get a lawyer and sue the company for exposing us to risk. I tried to convince him to no avail that a policy of tolerance to legal carry could be beneficial to the company.

Offline Old Griz

Carry at work?
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »
:cb2: What ever happened to " shall not be infringed"? Man, if we tried to do to the First Amendment what they have done to the Second, you'd never hear the end of it. (Then again, maybe we would hear the end of it!) Just look at all the crap they have turned freedom of speech into.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Carry at work?
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 11:01:52 AM »
If some nutcase comes into your workplace to shoot it up, violating company policy is gonna be the least of your worries.   I'll take FIRED over DEAD anytime!  :shock:  If your company hasn't issued a memo about firearms policy, don't ask.  And above all, don't let anyone know you're packing whether the gun is on your person, locked in a desk, or outside in your car.  If a bad guy (co-worker?) knows you've got one, guess who's gonna get it first?

Very Good!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Carry at work?
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 04:25:32 PM »
Quote from: papajohn428
If some nutcase comes into your workplace to shoot it up, violating company policy is gonna be the least of your worries.   I'll take FIRED over DEAD anytime!  :shock:  If your company hasn't issued a memo about firearms policy, don't ask.  And above all, don't let anyone know you're packing whether the gun is on your person, locked in a desk, or outside in your car.  If a bad guy (co-worker?) knows you've got one, guess who's gonna get it first?

Very Good!

PJ
Very good thinking Papjohn.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Carry at work?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 05:45:56 PM »
I carry where ever I legally can. If it's properly concealed, my employer will never know unless I need to use it to defend my life. If / when that moment comes, I would rather risk getting fired than risk being dead. Losing my job and the lose of income would be hard on my family but there is always the possibility of finding something else and bouncing back. Being dead, pretty much kills my chances of earning additionaly income and providing for my family.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline Old Griz

Carry at work?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 08:27:37 PM »
:cb2: In order to get to work I have to drive through a very dangerous section of town—in a city that was ranked #2 in the nation for violent crime according the the FBI. We average 1.6 carjackings a day. However, I'm a teacher, and there is a federal law barring me from even having one in my car at work. That drive to and from work is when I probably would need one the most.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline S.S.

Carry at work?
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 05:49:58 AM »
Just as Ol Griz, I work in a school system.
No Firearms Allowed whatsoever. I am still
Deputized By the local "Constabulary" (Kind of a Reserve officer)
But I still do not bring a Firearm onto school property.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jrdudas

Carry at work?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 03:50:49 PM »
i'm retired now, but my employer was quite strict about banning firearms from the premises.  When I worked late shift however, I carried and kept my revolver in my lunchbox locked in my personal locker.  I worked by myself and transferred the gun to my pocket before leaving the building.  The main entrance had an armed guard but there were no signs notifying you of gun restrictions.  We all had to sign an agreement upon hiring.

As far as I know, no one was ever aware of the fact that I was carrying.  I did know of someone working the same shift at another location in the building who always carried.  He wore a Levi's jacket all the time.

JR

Offline williamlayton

Carry at work?
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 12:45:27 AM »
If I am bound to a lie then I will still carry, unless there is a metal detector which I must cross. I do not tell and I do not brag-worked for me 40 years before we had a LEGAL right to carry.
I break more laws in a day than I can keep up with, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Carry at work?
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 03:17:21 AM »
Here is something that flat out works..Under Cover Comfort Compression Holster System I know, because I own one for carrying under those critical times where you just don't need to be fighting the battle of the bulge where IWB holsters are concerned... ie Sidemore  or  Comp-Tac C-T.A.C

Keeping your conceal carry sidearm, concealed is one of the battles that we fight, all the time.  This shirt just does it for me, worked for me while doing under cover work.  Kept my firearm well hid, and knowing that it was there, when and if I needed it etc.

I carry a Glock 19  8) and no one can tell.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
Carry at work?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 05:31:50 PM »
Hehe, I don't have that problem. I work for Brinks Armored as a diesel mechanic. I'm probably one of the few mechanics in the country that carries a gun on the job.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline red_ford_truck

ccw
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »
my job has a no gun policy anywhere........parking lots, vehicles, buildings .......i violate that policy often........

i feel if im gonna bend the rules, i might as well bend one that is to my benefit....last thing i want to do is have a flat in the hood on the way in and be up the do-do creek.

just my 2 cents.