Author Topic: Lead hardness results  (Read 737 times)

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« on: January 21, 2005, 07:42:36 AM »
For some of you who are wondering how hard your lead is, here is a site that could be of benifit.  http://www.mountainmolds.com/  Click on the "Articles and Links" on the left side and it will bring up a page with a link near the bottom called "Home-made hardness tester".  I've had a couple of days off from work so I put one together with my press.  Then testing some of my bullets, .457's, the results really surprised me.  Aged wheel weights, cast about a month ago, measured about 14.2 BHN, newly cast WW measured about 11.2 BHN.  I then cast and tested some bullets cast from some soft lead that I've been saving for round ball at 6 BHN.  Then wondering what I would get if I mixed 50% WW and 50% of the soft 6 BHN lead and straight WWs and resulting bullets tested 8.2 BHN.  

In comparing these results and wondering where they related to the 40:1, 30:1, 20:1 lead that is normally used for the BPCR bullets, many thanks Lead Pot for posting the link to the hardness cross reference under another thread, I was reading in the RCBS lead cast bullet and Lyman bullet manuals about heat treating bullets to make them harder.  The process of heating the bullets up and quenching in water to make them harder was not unlike hardening steel.  I then wondered if, like steel, what would happen if I heated some of the bullets in the wife's oven (with her permission, she's a keeper!)  and cooled them slowly by just turning of the oven and letting them sit in it.  The bullets that originally tested 14.2 BHN tested  9.9 BHN.  The 50/50 lead mix that originally tested 8.2 BHN now tested 7.4 BHN.  I suspect that since the WWs have antimony in them, they will get harder with age, but if they are going to be used in a couple of days, I see this as an option to use some of the economical/free scrap lead that I have around.  I've read somewhere that if the bullets are coated with vegitable oil, they will not harden as bad.  Maybe some of you that have more experience than I can shed some light on this.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:18:36 AM »
Trapper Jack
    Thanks for the great post and link, I've been needing a tester but didn't have a c-note to spare.  I read that putting freshly cast WW bullets in a freezer stops the time hardening process but haven't tryed it.  Question--did you get the 8.2 BNH by mixing pure lead and WW 50-50 or 1/4 pure lead to 3/4 WWs? It's been a long day and my heads in a haze.  Again, thanks for the tester info!

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
50 Calshtr,
My 8.2 BHN result came from an approximate 50/50 mix of my wheel weights and the soft lead that I was using for my round ball casting that tested 6 BHN.  Sorry for the confusion, should have proof read!!  Anyway glad that I was able contribute.  I'll have to try the freezer method and see if they still test the same after about a month or so.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:06:01 AM »
Trapper Jack,
    Thanks for the clarification.  I've got a great source of WWs but they are a little hard for a BPCR so I am (now was!) looking for a good mix to put them to use.  Have a good weekend and thanks again.

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Lead hardness results
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:25:52 AM »
The problem with these home made testers I dont have enough fingers and toes to get the answer :roll:
Here is a nother one to look at. I used this one and even  I can come up with a answer :shock:

http://www.bulletswage.com/lead.htm#hard

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:32:19 AM »
Pretty interesting links. I use the Saeco. I really like it cause there's no figuring. That's right up my alley.

Offline Dusty Miller

Lead hardness results
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 09:12:52 PM »
So you know the hardness of your lead but where is the data telling us what hardness is good for what purpose?  I've READ that BHN 16 is optimal for hunting but for hunting WHAT?  Cockroaches?  Alligators? Rhinos?  Inquiring minds want to know!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Trapper-Jack

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 02:05:35 AM »
Lyman has listed their #2 alloy as about 15-16 BHN as about the most universal hardness.  I would think that depending on your personal bullet requirements you would adjust up or down.  Personally I like a bullet on the soft side.  When I was a kid I used to shoot the cheeper, lead bullet .22 ammo for rabbits.  When hit they just jumped and died.  When using the more expensive faster copper bullets, the bullet blasted on through and the rabbit ran off.  Hardness is a personal preferance in relationship to what you expect out of your bullet's performance.  Just my opinion, your's may differ.
Thanks,
Trapper Jack

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Avid Poster
Lead hardness results
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 02:17:47 AM »
I'll agree with trapper as to requirements. For me #2 alloy is way too hard for hunting anything around here. WW's runs 9 BHN and that's too hard for me, I use those for plinking. Pure lead is my hunting choice for deer 3-5 BHN. I water cool mine and that seems to bump them up 1 point on the hardness scale.

Offline Castaway

Lead hardness results
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 05:50:55 AM »
Trapper-Jack, thanks for one of the most informative posts I've read lately.  Good science on your tests and easy to read.  Would make a good Handloader article.  I've settled on a 50:50 mix of WW and lead for my 45 Colt Trapper when deer/pig hunting. The original "controlled expansion bullet."  
    As far as the ideal hardness of a bullet, it's a function of many things; bullet weight, velocity, diameter and what in particular you are shooting.  As a general rule, I follow the principle the heavier the bullet, the softer the alloy.  Lyman #2 might be great for a 30-30, but in my 45-70, softer is better.