Author Topic: .38 wadcutters vs. .32 acp  (Read 784 times)

Offline Mrserenity

• Trade Count: (0)
.38 wadcutters vs. .32 acp
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:08:42 AM »
Hi, which has  more felt recoil, a .38 snub nose loaded with 148 grain wadcutters or a .32 acp?  Which is louder? and Which has more stopping power in a self defense situation? Thanks.

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:29:43 AM »
In answer to your questions, the 38 all the way.  The 32 APC, according to my Speer Reloading Manual, #13, the 32 ACP fires a 60gr. GD-HP at a max of 1060 FPs.  Whereas, the 38 Spl. w/ a 148gr. BB-WC, it goes at a max of 981.  But remember, the 38 has a bigger, heavier bullet, and goes only around 100 FPs or less slower.  So the 38 Spl. would have, more recoil, possibly more muzzle blast, and definitely more stopping power.  Pay attention too, as the 38 Spl does use more powder than a 32 ACP.  I'd further say the 38 is better reloading-wise, as the extremely small case capacity of the 32 causes you to have to practically hand-weigh each charge.  Extremely small cases can have extreme pressure changes with even one-tenth of a grain of powder added or removed.  So the 38 gives you more case capacity, and don't have to worry too much about hand-weighing each powder charge.

38 Spl.
148gr. BB-WC
5.1gr. Unique
981FPs
316 FT/lbs of energy

32 ACP
60gr. GD-HP
2.6gr. of 700-X
1060FPs
150 FT/lbs of energy

Hope this helps.  Please remember, I took these maximium loads from the manual, to give the widest possible margin of difference between these two different cartridges.  They may NOT be safe in any said firearm; always approach and use maximum loads with caution.

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:39:39 AM »
The 38 is better, louder but not by much.   :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mark whiz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:47:44 PM »
As far as recoil is concerned, I find the .32ACP to be more punishing on my hands than either my 2" or 4" .38s.  The .32s are so small & light that recoil is practically injected square into the hand, while the bigger/heavier .38s may kick up a tad more, they don't hit the hand so hard.
I can fire 3 magazines of .32ACP in a Beretta Tomcat and my hand feels like I've been running a jackhammer, but I can literally fire 100s of .38s in a day with no adverse affects.
Maybe this is only because I have large hands, but maybe not.
"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)
Aim small.........miss small.
Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 01:21:27 PM »
The 38 may be slightly superior, but neither is really and adequate defense round. I have not been happy with 38 wadcutter loads on grouse, so doubt they would work well on humans. The 158 gr. hp nyclads or lead hp are rated highest in the +p version. If you can't tolerate these loads go to a larger gun. Like a model 10 S&W. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE