Author Topic: NO FLAMING ALLOWED--NEED ? ANSWERED  (Read 738 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
NO FLAMING ALLOWED--NEED ? ANSWERED
« on: January 23, 2005, 02:47:02 AM »
We do not seem to have a forum that has specific ties to questions on Ammunition for handguns.I will ask the question here.
First a disclaimer--I asked this question on another forum and all I received were flames about my intelligence, but, no answer to the question.
I have need of correct information, as much as possible, about the ammunition for the FN Herstal 5.7x28. FN has four rounds listed for this weapon--SS190 standard ball, L191, SB193 subsonic, and SS192 soft.
The only ammunition I have found is the SS192. The description is soft, training, reduces backstop damage ( fragible ? ).
Am I correct that this, the SS192 round, would not be suitable/advisable for self defense?
The SS190 seems to be the round of choice for self defense but, I am led to think that I cannot obtain this ammunition as it is reserved for LE and Military. Is this a correct understanding.
If this is not a correct understanding, can someone advise me as to who will provide this SS190 ammunition.
I have researched this and find no distinct answers.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LMM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 06:55:14 AM »
FN Part number- SS192, Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP).
Duty/Training Hollow Point, we can now sell this to the general public over age 21.
OAL- 1.59"
Bullet wt 28 gr.
Velocity- 2,034 fps

I would think the SS192 would be good for your intended purpose.

SS190 is a 31gr FMJ round advertised to penetrate soft body armor. That is what makes it unavailable to those other than military and/or LE.

High penetration hit

While a 9 mm FMJ round will not penetrate modern body armor, the SS190 round will penetrate modern fragmentation vests and helmets at ranges up to 200 meters.

Any presently available soft body armor that allows reasonable mobility will be penetrated : military and other body armors, Kevlar® helmets and vests as well as the CRISAT protection (titanium/Kevlar®).

The SS190 round will NOT penetrate protections that stop the 5.56 x 45 mm round ( steel plates, ceramic,...)

L191 is a 31gr Tracer round and is probably restricted for same reason as SS190.

SB 193 is a 55gr Subsonic FMJ round. Not sure why this wouldn't be available unless it will also penetrate soft body armor.
LMM

"If you can blame guns for killing people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words."
--Larry the Cable Guy

Offline Patriot_1776

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 03:14:08 PM »
First a disclaimer--I asked this question on another forum and all I received were flames about my intelligence, but, no answer to the question.

WL,

Please know, that GBO has been created for the sole purpose of giving, and for seeking right and proper information.  There is no room for flaming, threats, or even childish behaviour here; that being said, any kind of question may be presented (provided it is not intended to try and provoke an angry, suggestive, or blatant response) at this site.<<< #1 reason this is the only forum I go to.  

Sorry GB if I've just acted as though I own the place, but I firmly believe if a site has been dedicated for a good purpose, I hate to see it misused by others who intentionally disregard decency rules and regulations.

:D

-Patriot
-Patriot

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »
William Layton…

I’ve read a good many of your posts (mostly answers) and I find you are a very intelligent man who asks well-thought-out questions and gives excellent and complete answers, so we can put any negative "BS” concerning your questions or posts to rest right now.

Frankly, until I read your post, I had never heard of a “FN Herstal 5.7x28”… but I can do the math… and that millimeter size figures out of .22440944881 inches or… a .22 caliber.

Apparently, this .22 caliber was designed to make body armor obsolete, but it’s still just a .22 caliber sized bullet… and a light .22 caliber bullet at that.

Certainly, William… your life is worth spending the money to purchase a decent self-defense pistol in a popular and acknowledged self-defense caliber.

If you desire something “small”… I suggest you consider a Kel-Tec P3AT in 9mm Short (aka “.380 ACP”)  I measured its cartridge case and found this caliber could also be called a “9x17”.  This caliber is considered by most so-called "experts" to be the smallest true "self-defense" caliber.

I carry one constantly and really like it.  It’s NOT a target pistol, but at self-defense ranges, it gets the job done.  Loaded with +P 85 grain hollow points, it has 221 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, holds 6+1 rounds and fits very comfortably into a pants pocket without showing that tell-tale "bulge".

The Kel-Tec P3AT is about ¾ of an inch wide, about 3½ inches high and 5 inches long… a relatively tiny semi-automatic pistol with a life-time warranty to the original buyer… and it works!  While it lists for $299, you’ll find it in the $240 to $270 price range at a good many gun shops.

Comparatively, a snub-nosed .38 Special using a 158 grain lead bullet has 235 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, usually holds 5 shots and is considerably heavier, wider and longer than the little Kel-Tec.

And let’s face it. A .35 caliber bullet has a lot bigger frontal area than a .22 caliber bullet.

Something to consider, eh?

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 10:58:39 PM »
It is not a question of making a decision-- it is a question concerning the ammunition. I have been convinced, in my own mind, that this weapon will provide the self defense that I require if I use the correct ammunition. I really am not seeking or desiring a round to defeat body armor, I can do that with any of several flavors I own.
I do not want a round which is not designed for self defense.
Thanx for the kudos though, I am not convinced that I am any more intelligent than most of the population hereabouts though, matter of fact there are some here that I consider far more intelligent than I.
I hope to the Lord that I will never be put in a position to determine who is correct.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD