Author Topic: Goose hunting  (Read 484 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Goose hunting
« on: January 23, 2005, 12:25:08 PM »
Went out yesterday before the snow drove us inside,  I was hunting a friends farm the geese were thick as all get out.  We (two of us) hunted for about four hours and I ended up with four and my friend limited out with five.  Now what the heck to do with these geese ?  I've never cook one before.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Goose hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »
Breast them out and slice the breast real thin and fry it up with a little garlic salt and pepper. Them's good eats. My wife dont eat'em so the stuff I do with them is pretty pedestrian. Some times I cook them in a crock pot for a long time till the meat is falling apart, drain that of and stirr the shredded meat up with bbQ sauce. There are a bunch of good recipees out there.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Goose hunting
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »
Best goose I ever had was in goose pies, I don't how it was cooked but I was a junior Lieutenat and our Troops (5 covered the whole state) at the time were in command of a Captain. I would supply the deer meat (venison) and cook it at the barracks on a grille and the Captain/Troop Commander would supply goose pie shot by him and baked by his wife, and it was delicious. Boy I miss some parts of my old job!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Goose hunting
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 05:36:05 PM »
The guy that I goose hunt with the most is an excellent chef and restaurant owner and his favorite is goose and dumplings. I've never had it the way he makes it but that was a popular local dish when I was a kid. My dad would always cook it and then grind it up and make goose salad.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Goose hunting
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 02:24:47 AM »
Breast them out and cut breasts into strips and pan fry with garlic and pepper.

Throw the whole or quartered breasts into the slow cooker with a few cans  of cream of mushroom soup. Let'em go for a few hours then add more mushrooms and maybe a chopped onion.

The strips can also be coated with a breading mixture then pan fried. I've used a commercially available breading mix called Shore Lunch for duck breasts.

The BBQ sauce idea sounds great Markus, makes me wish we saved some of ours instead of eating them all.

Goose jerky is another option, good for bribing landowners for hunting permission. :wink:

Nixter

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Goose hunting
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 12:01:41 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestion on cooking the the geese.  I breasted them and rolled them in a seasoned flour.  And deep fried them in my Turkey cooker.  Man I'm hooked.   I went out yesterday and got me three more geese I'm think of cleaning the birds like I would a Turkey and deep frying it .....  Anyone got any ideas about doing this ?
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Goose Jerky
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 08:23:47 PM »
We make goose jerky...seriously...it turns out great.

Moonlitin