Author Topic: Firearms Saftey Instructor  (Read 929 times)

Offline Hud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
Firearms Saftey Instructor
« on: February 04, 2003, 04:10:18 PM »
After not instructing for three years, I have renewed my FAS instructor status. We have completely new curriculum and some other really cool stuff.

We can have an indoor pellet range for the kids to use as well as a laser rifle thats shoots a red dot out the barrel when the trigger is pulled. This helps in teaching sight alinement as well as saftey. We also have a "shoot-don't shoot" video to go with the lazer gun. The kids have to decide whether to shoot at the animal/target or not.  Can't wait to get a class going again.

How many instuctors do we have on here? I've seen one or two mention it on their signature line.

Hud
(I am also just joining our County Sherrif's Mounted Posse Unit.  Looking forward to that too.)
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 09:10:21 PM »
My hunter safety instructor certification expired a long time ago.  I maintain my  NRA firearms saftey cert for rifle, pistol and shotgun by assisting a guy with Hunter safety now and then plus I used to end up instructing a few employees every spring.  The Alaska Dept Fish and Game has a laser & video training system mounted in a special trailer. They tow it around the state to various functions and its really popular.  One winter our area biologist had the system shipped to our town (can't drive to it) and there was a line out the door for the 3 days it was available.  Some kids spent all day there; take a turn go to the back of the line and do it again!  By the end of the event kids were correcting their parents and friends on proper gun handling and shooting behaviour.  It was great.  Many folks out here think they are born good gun handlers when in fact it can be scary to be at the range or on a hunt with them.  Since gun safety is no longer part of the public school gym program our firearms accidents have gone from rare to at least 1 per year - often fatal.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline CPB

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2003, 07:37:15 AM »
I am a certified 4-H Rifle coach , here in Georgia. Currently I am coaching a BB rifle team and am involved with the precision air pistol team to a smaller degree.  The BB rifle team is open to kids from the 5th to the 8th grades or ages 9 to 14.  This is a great age to start these kids . We can engrain good safety habits into them early and hopefuly the things that we teach them will stay with them for life. We teach two different safety curiculims . The first was developed by the 4-H and the other is put out by Daisy. I also borrow some from the hunters safety book to fill in the gaps from the other two.

I have seen a laser device that hooks up to a lap top computer and an air rifle or pistol and is used as a training aid. It tracks the barrel movement prior to the shot and for a couple of seconds after the shot. The program will map out where you hit and the movement for several shots.  I thought it was pretty cool, but the price on it was more than I could afford.

Take care

CPB