Author Topic: Shotgun barrel tapped for scope mounts  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Shotgun barrel tapped for scope mounts
« on: January 25, 2005, 08:06:34 AM »
I have a 12ga turkey barrel,can this barrel be tapped for Weaver one piece bases.  Would like to put a red dot scope on it for turkey hunting.  Zeak

Offline turkeyhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 08:23:56 AM »
:D MSPRet can help you on that one.  He has a gunsmith that will do it.
Colossians 1:18b:  "That in all things He might have the pre-eminence"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 10:04:55 AM »
Hi Zeak, the gunsmiths name is Ed Gagnon in Centerville Mass. 508-775-2775. He has my .280 barrel right now to be recrowned. He asks that you send the barrel and scope rail, I suggest using the H&R rail as it has more cross slots for the rings for proper scope placement. I have a Weaver and don't like it as well as the H&R rails. He does a great job and is quite quick by gunsmith standards. He's also a great guy and has done several barrels for guys on this board for a reasonable amount. He asks/suggests the scope rails remain attached to the barrels and not be repeatedly removed and replaced, he epoxies them on as well as screws them on (with larger stronger screws). He also does backboring and lengthens forcing cones on shotguns as well as adds adjustable screw in chokes to regular barrels if you want them.  He is well known in this area as a builder of custom competitive 1911 .45's. He has built BEAUTIFUL Pennsylvania style muzzleloaders, flintlock style, from scratch and does much fine custom work. I think there are a couple (or more) barrels there now or enroute to be done now that shotgun deer season is over. My 12 gauge smoothbore which he did (he did my Tracker II also) with Brenneke-Rottweil MP slugs and a Simmons 30 mm Red Dot shoots 1 ragged cloverleaf hole at 50 yards!!!  Tell him MSP Ret said hello!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 05:33:47 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Zeak

Offline HuntenNut

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 02:52:09 PM »
Zeak,

He has done 2 for me, and had them back within 2 weeks, including shipping. I highly recommend him.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »
I spoke with Ed yesterday, my .280 recrowning is done. I have to pick it up but he mentioned he has just recently got one or 2 shotgun barrels in to mount scope rails on that have had thin chamber areas and he may decide they are not within safe specs. I personally think the older H&R shotgun barrels were thinner and lighter than newer ones which seem to be heavier (weight wise) and have thicker chamber and barrel walls.....<><....  :money:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 02:26:38 AM »
I think your right about the old barrels being lighter. I noticed that on the older ones I have.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 03:45:18 AM »
I called Ed on Monday to send him a couple of 12 ga barrels to put a scope mount on & he said he has stopped doing them due to too many lately being too thin & too dangerous to do :( , & then having to ship them back with nothing done. I was not aware of the new ones being possibly thicker. But he was very reluctant to do any more so I did not push it, very nice guy & very knolegable, had a nice chat with him.
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 02:59:02 PM »
why not spot-weld mounts on? like on a rifle, the type you screw on?

why not weld on the bases and then mount rings?

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 02:30:35 AM »
Good idea :grin: , do you think JB weld or acraglass would hold up to full house 12 gage recoil. The H&R scope mounts are aluminum so in the real world of welding I don't know how this would work??
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 06:45:56 PM »
I found the post. A good one too. Has anyone done a JB Weld job on a scope base? I hate to be so sloppy, but it is a very inexpensive barrel and won't really hurt anything to at least try it. JB Weld is some very strong stuff, but would it hold after repeat firings? If no one else has done it I think I just might do it...whats there to loose? :agree:
-Aaron

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 05:39:58 AM »
JB Weld, as good as it is, won't hold. I tried it and only got about six shots (Slugs) out of it before it let go.  I ended up silver soldering a recoil lug on the top of the barrel, relieving out the bottom of the base to match and then JBing the base in place.  I also added jb under the front of the base where it overhangs the barrel and drilled and tapped a steel band to the front sides of the base going around the barrel. On the bottom of the barrel I added a spacer block between the barrel and band and tapped it for a screw to put some tension on the band. You have to relieve a bit on the forend to fit the band and tension screw.  This rig has lasted several hundred shots so far and has the advantage of not drilling holes in the chamber. Brownells Hi Force 44 solder, which flows at about 425 degrees, was used to solder the recoil lug.  Hope this helps.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:12:08 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. Got any pics to show that would help some?

Offline trky chsr

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 03:22:48 PM »
Not to be smart but how old is your barrel? Mines about 5 yrs old and it's already tapped for a mount. Trouble with mine is its too far forward for a scope. It would work for a red dot though.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 12:44:56 AM »
Actually I have no clue how old mine is. I bought it used, so it's anyones guess.

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006, 01:33:58 AM »
First let me add this disclaimer;
I am by no means a metal expert and dont know what this much heat will do to metal.

A friend of mine, who is a top notch welder, and i welded a weaver style rail on a 24inch tk special barrel. (12ga.)
I ran a Co2 (dry ice) line through the center of the barrel to keep the keep the the metal cool on the inside. then meg welded the base.
I then used a dremel rotery tool to re-shape the weld lines and some birchwood-casy cold blue to finish.....whole thind turned out pretty nice!

I dont remember the part # but the base was all steel and made for the T/C oncore.

I mounted a Tasco red-dot on it.
Ive since shot about 1/2 dozen 3.5 mag turkey loads through it with no ill efects (ezcept a real sore shoulder) :)
And have shot about 50 2.75in slugs (which group really well)   and a bunch of non mag loads.

TCB

Offline myarmor

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »
My main concern to welding it on was heat. But the line through the barrel is a good idea. I personally wasn't going to recomend welding it, but with controlled heat -again I myself an no metal expert either- sounds a lot safer an idea. Metal is funny when heat changes.