Author Topic: Brand New Kel-Tec P32, what do I need to know?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Scorpius

• Trade Count: (0)
Brand New Kel-Tec P32, what do I need to know?
« on: January 25, 2005, 09:08:52 AM »
Just got home from the store with my new P32, having cured the "Bug bite".  Just finished stripping it down, cleaning it, and putting it back together, which was so stupidly easy I already have it memorized from the one time I did it.  The design is simplicity itself.  Anyway, to my question:  are there any major/minor glitches or problems I might encounter, other than the 50 round break-in period?  I've read a bunch of reviews online, and it seems like a winner, but still, just to be sure......?
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline jgalar

Brand New Kel-Tec P32, what do I need to kn
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 02:19:11 AM »
You may want to check out or read through the kel-tec owner's group forums at http://www.ktog.org/

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:57 AM »
I have the .380, not the .32, but should be the same or close to it. I always polish the feed ramp on any pistol before taking it out the first time. My .380 has had one stove pipe since I have had it, with American ammo in the blue and red box. Also have had trouble with other cals. of this ammo. Just a caution, also, when disassembling and cleaning, at least on mine, the guide rod holder at the front of the slide will fall out and is a pain to find it is so small. Also, the ejector comes out very easily.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline dgkenned1

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 11:48:24 AM »
ditto on greenjeans comment on the ejector of the p-32 (that goes for the p-3at also). during a routine cleaning after i'd had it a short time; after reassembly i cycled the slide once to chamber and once to eject and was shocked when it didn't eject. i must have disassembled and assembled it  three times befor i noticed the empty ejecter slot in the frame. i found it on the floor by my right foot. thought i broke something.
thanks,
dave.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
It's unfortunate you got the .32 ACP since the .380 (Model P3AT) is almost exactly the SAME SIZE & WEIGHT... and considerably more powerful which translates into a better "one-shot-stopper".

And you can get +P .380 ammo that has "ok'd" by Kal-Tec (on page 3 in their P3AT instruction booklet) for their P3AT which brings the muzzle energy up to .38 Special levels... (221 ft/lbs for the .380 vs. 235 ft/lbs for the 158 grain lead bullet .38 Special)... considerably better than the specifications for the little P-32 Kel-Tec.

But I guess that's what makes "hoss races", eh?    :-)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scorpius

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 02:27:13 AM »
The weapon is so light that I felt more comfortable with the .32.  I figured that the .380 would just about make my hands bleed shooting.  And I know, it's a defensive gun, I wouldn't *need* to shoot that often, but I like to :).  I bought it as backup anyway, going to be getting rid of my Bersa .380 and picking up a Kahr P9 in a couple months for primary carry.  Appreciate your thoughts, though.  If you know anything about the P9, let me know?  Thanks.

Scorpius
Love 'em or hate 'em, guns are here to stay.  Whichever side you choose, please be informed.  
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 04:33:45 PM »
The biggest issue with the P32 is a little demon called "rimlock". Being a semi-rimmed case, the .32 can sometimes have the rim of a upper round in a mag slip over the one below it and it will bind your gun up in a manner that you can't clear in a gunfight - IF YOU USE HOLLOWPOINTS...

Hollowpoints all have an overall case length shorter than full metal jacket ammo. Almost all FMJ .32 rounds are so long that there isn't enough room in the mag for enough movement to produce a rimlock.

Many "fixes" like spacers in the back of the P32 mag have been fielded by KelTec fans, but to condense this post by about 3 LONG pages, there is no advantage to using hollowpoints in a .32, full metal jacket from a .32 won't over penetrate, and using the right FMJ brings reliabilty back to nearly 100%.

Stay away from euro-milspec .32 ammo like Seller  & Belliot, they use HARD military primers and you will have misfires. The .32 was considered a military caliber for years in Europe, and they still load the ammo for hard hammer hitting pistols like Walther PP's.

One KTOG member did a BUNCH of chrono and gelatin tests and one of the top three .32 FMJ's for accuracy, velocity and reliability was the Brazilian MagTech brand FMJ. I use them and have never had a rimlock or misfire from them.

Here is a link to his results:
http://www.goldenloki.com/ammo/gel/32acp/gel32acp.htm

I hope this info helps - perklo

Offline Scorpius

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 02:47:20 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'd seen that before, especially about the rimlock issue, but I only use FMJ in the P32, mostly because it's such a low powered round, the risk of overpenetration is slight.  Plus, I always prefer 100% reliability.
www.nra.org/
www.packing.org/
www.ofccpac.org/

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 04:11:43 AM »
Check out this site. I did this mod and it works great!
http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/flyerwire.htm
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein