Author Topic: Leraving your pistol in a vehicle.  (Read 636 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Leraving your pistol in a vehicle.
« on: January 25, 2005, 04:41:55 PM »
:P Over the past few months I have read several comments about the pros and cons of leaving a gun in a vehicle.  I ran across a device today and ordered three of them to secure firearms in a vehicles.  Its called a "Lifejacket," produced by Mogul Security Equipment.  It looks simular to a holster, but is all steel with a key or combination lock, it bolts to the vehicle.  It is not fool proof, and can be compermised, but it would take an hour or so to get in it.  This would deter most crooks.  The shotgun model was $19.00, the pistol case was $39.00.

I bought two for pistols, and one for a shotgun.  I plan to go through the floorboard of my truck and install one with 3/8 inch stainless countersunk screws with self locking nuts inside the device.  I'm going to put it on the hump next to the transmission.  The other pistol holder will be installed in the trunk of my wife's car.  It won't get much use.  I plan to put the shotgun holder in my travel trailer.  I may have to come through the floor with a piece of stainless on each side.

I know they won't keep a hard core crook from stealing my guns, but it will delay them long enough that someone may see or catch them.  It should also satisfy some of the weird LEOs that think all folks that carry are outlaws.  It's got to be better than leaving it under the seat or in the glovebox.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:49:39 AM »
:shock: What good is a locked up pistol? Mine is in the glove box where I can get it if I need it. Out here they want the whole damned truck.
JM :?
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 02:37:46 PM »
In about every stste that issues CCW permits, there are some places you can't cary, bars, court houses, post office, banks, ect.

This makes good since to me to be able to secure your gun in the vehicle before going into the bank to cash a check, or any other place you cannot cary but have business in during the course of your day.

Sounds like better than droping the gun in the glove box or under the edge of the seat for a few minunits to run into the bank.

Greeenriver(This has been a concern of mine, where to stash my gun when entering a prohibited cary building, every since I got my CCW.)

PS: I had bolted a short length of chain to the florboards inside my consol storage comportment and simply padlocked the gun to the chain in the consol when I entered someplace I couldn't cary. Mostly I avoid them places.
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 04:05:16 PM »
Greenriver, my point exactly.  I have found myself in the situation many times where I had to leave the gun in the vehicle.  I have never liked the idea of locking it in the glove box, thats the first place most crooks look.  If they steal the whole vehicle, thats another story.  I think the "Lifesaver" will do what it is intended to do, it will keep "honest" folks honest, and deter the crook, hopefully, long enough for someone to catch them.

bgjohn, As for taking the whole damned truck, I know you folks out there have a problem with dem river hoppers.  Maybe all them good folks that are accumulating south of Tombstone this April can help catch a few and send em back home.  :blaster:  I was tempted to come out and join them, but have too much work going on right now, and sides, they wouldn't let me do any shooting.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 07:42:32 AM »
In NY I cannot even leave my pistol locked up in my vehicle.  So if I plan going anywhere that I cannot carry my pistol, the guns have to stay at home...Doesn't seem right to me but that is the law here...Unfortunately.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense