Author Topic: GDHP vs. STHP  (Read 609 times)

Offline Totin'a10

• Trade Count: (0)
GDHP vs. STHP
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:59:11 AM »
:D Good evening,

Anyone care to give your opinions on the Gold Dots as compared to the Silver tips?  Talking about 200 grn. .44spl factory loads-accuracy, power, etc. Thanks much.
What goes around comes around!!! 8)

Offline strider72

• Avid Poster
GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:57:38 PM »
Don't know about the .44 Spl...but in a 9mm I would say about the same. I carry +P 124 gr. Gold Dots myself. In a .32 ACP I would pick the Silvertips over the Gold Dots after some wetpack tests I saw on another forum.

Offline Will

GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 04:25:04 PM »
I've shot a bunch of both loads through my .44 special titanium snubby. I definitley like the silvertip better. I've recovered quite a few of both bullets, and the silvertips seem to expand every time, whereas the GD's often just deform. Accuracy is about the same. The silvertips are a little more controllable.
Even without grocery stores, I won't go hungry.

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 06:06:16 AM »
These pictures should answer your question using GDHP's for a 44 .430
Speers GoldDot is a very good hunting and selfdefence bullet, very hearty, holds together well, the perfect mushroom was created bye me shooting through a wet log, In doing so recovered these wonderful mushroomed bullets, perfect example of expansion.
My thought on the silver tips is, they tend to have a soft tip, sometimes feeding can be a problem, I use to use them in my 300 Savage for years, but do to the tips being soft and bending over, after using them over and over, causing feeding problems, I stopped using them, Not saying the silvertip is not a good game getter either, just telling you the tips are very soft and might hang feeding. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 10:13:39 AM »
Both bullets perform well.  In factory loads the .44 spl Gold Dot is loaded hotter.  That's what I have in my Charter on my hip right now, and a speedloader in my vest pocket.  For a practice handload that shoots the same, I use 200 gr xtp's over 8 gr of Unique.  Good load.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 11:42:52 AM »
I have some Speer GDHP in 200 grn for the 44 sp, and just ordered the 210 gr silver tip hp winchester from Midway (no 200 was offered) My ? is I need some reload data on same. Speer web sight does not allow you to print it out.  I have no idea on winchester data. Any thoughts?
Jim

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
GDHP vs. STHP
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 10:28:22 AM »
I tested both out of a 3" Taurus 44, and while both did well, the Gold Dot was more consistent, and tended to expand a bit better.  It also holds together better in stiff targets, though I don't consider a jacket separation a "failure", as some do.  I doubt any bad guy could tell the difference, I'd go with the one you shoot better, or that your gun prefers.  Placement is still the key!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?