Poll

Let's See Where Us Guys Stand......

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: February 01, 2005, 05:27:51 AM

Author Topic: How Does Your Wife Feel About Guns?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
How Does Your Wife Feel About Guns?
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:27:51 AM »
Is shooting primarily "your" thing?
NRA Handgun Instructor

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 05:42:26 AM »
Don't know that I see a category to check off that truly fits.

She just doesn't involve herself in my gun purchases and trades. She understands I have a disease and just accepts it. But she owns several guns of her own and at times shoots and hunts also. She gave up even making comments about new purchases and trades many years ago. She wants to see them as they come in but just to know what new gun has arrived.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 06:33:32 AM »
My wife is kinda like Greybeards. When I go shooting she comes with me. She's a pretty good shot with her "Plinker" ( a Remington Nylon 66). I could NEVER sell that one. I buy 'em, keep some & sell the ones I kinda like to get ones that I really, really like. Pretty soon I'll have only my hearts desire and won't sell any. But interests change and I may want something else. With champagne taste and a beer budget I sometimes have to sell something to afford something else. Fortunately I'm  an FFL and that helps. :grin:
JM :-)
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 06:39:21 AM »
My lovely wife doesn't have a problem with my Addiction...provided it doesn't go to extremes...and see likes the ones I have now...and hates it when I start horse trading for different ones...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 07:05:11 AM »
As long as I don't get hypocritical about buyin' useless junk when she decides to go out and buy a truck-load of dried gourds or lace doilies or some such stuff, she pretends not to mind...
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
My wife left in 1986-I still have my guns. :eek:  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :D
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline redd7

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 07:30:40 AM »
Sounds like several of us are very fortunate. My wife has several guns and likes to shoot but no hunting. We have a great relationship in that neither of us would ever tell the other one no about anything. But with that kind of trust we are both considerate about what we ask for. :grin:

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:56:35 AM »
I clicked, she's ok with it, but  still sneak them if I can.  :twisted:  She's real cool about guns, but moneys different. Once theyre in its ok cuz she's long since lost track.  :lol:
Years ago she usta come to the range but then she got pregnant & seems to have lost interest somewhat. We'v got a camp in NH & she'll shoot up there if we're shooting but thats it.
Cool thing is when she started getting pregnant she brought 2 boys into the world. Theyre now 8 & 6 so I have my own private shooting partners. Both seem to like it but the little guys not ready for a range yet. This summer I think I'll bring him if he wants to go & I think he can act right till its time to go. Hard for the little guy to settle down for a whole afternoon. At camp he's good for maybe 25 or 30 rounds from his crickitt 22 before he needs to go do something else.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 09:21:03 AM »
Quote from: TM7
she shoots my 39a mountie
:-)  :grin:  :D That be good choice, say Dali Llama.
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 09:22:02 AM »
Mrs. Leverfan can outshoot me with rifles, offhand, and she's a quicker pistol shot.  She'll be competing in Cowboy Action, while I'll mostly be reloading for her (she's got all her guns for the sport, I don't really have any of the ones I would want to use).  She's gone hunting for deer, bear, and cougar, and elk will be on her list of tags to buy next year.  Right now, her favorite gun is her nickel plated Stoeger side by side.  The action has been slicked a little, new mainspring, and the auto safety is now manual, but she hasn't added any recoil management accesories.

Her male co-workers come to her for firearm and hunting advice, if that tells you anything.  

Our 5 year old daughter just picked out her first real rifle yesterday, to go with her BB gun, so I expect she'll be a bit like her mom.   :grin:
NRA life member

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 09:56:01 AM »
Well I am past the filing stage but the Ex said her biggest reason for divorcing me was my hunting and gun obsession. I still have my guns also as when I stood in front of the judge I gave him a letter telling him I SOLD my guns to my mother and it was notorized 4 months before she the ex filed. A hint guys if you do this even if you have the guns in possession for a while after nothing they can do about it. So if things start to get rocky protect your self. The judge asked me how much did I sell them for and I told him that is no bodys business it is between my self and the person who bought them. Not a darn thing they could do about that either. I came out of my divorce with every thing that was mine except for the house and I did not want that as it had a lot of money owed on it due to a new addition. I walked away a free man and later had it annulled.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 12:24:05 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Well I am past the filing stage but the Ex said her biggest reason for divorcing me was my hunting and gun obsession.
There be nothing wrong with such "obsession," opine Dali Llama.  Dali say ex-wife should be glad jh45gun not obsessed with other women. :-)

Offline Shorty

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 12:30:26 PM »
My wife says that I should buy any gun I want!  But it's not so much that she will then feel justified at spending a comparable amount of money, as it is that she ALREADY spent all of the money!  :shock:  :(  :)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 01:03:40 PM »
Quote from: Shorty
My wife says that I should buy any gun I want!  But it's not so much that she will then feel justified at spending a comparable amount of money, as it is that she ALREADY spent all of the money!  :shock:  :(  :)
:-D  :)  :-D  :D

Offline old06

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 01:53:56 PM »
She OK with it she grew up with a father, brother, and uncles, that all hunted and bought and swap guns. She bought me my first new rifle and several since that one.
Psalm 16

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2005, 02:43:46 PM »
My wife is not interested in shooting or hunting.  But she fully supports my love of both and encourages my sons in the same way.  

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2005, 03:40:28 PM »
While she doesnÂ’t shoot much, she understands how important it is to have an armed citizenry.    :excuseme:
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline powderman

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2005, 04:30:39 PM »
My wife of almost 25 years likes to shoot and hunt. She strongly objects if I talk of selling one. POWDERMAN.  :D  :D  :D  :D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2005, 04:40:10 PM »
being single this doesn't really apply, but i still live with my parents and my mom hates guns. yet she realizes its my hobbie and let me keep them even after an AD in the house 4 years ago. young and stupid. nothing turns you into a safety freak faster than an accidental discharge. i still smuggle my guns into the house. she asked my once how many i had. i said 5. she was not happy. now i'm back to having 2 but she thinks i still have 5 so i have 3 open slots i can fill. my dad says he's interested and he went hunting but he doesn't understand that i'm also interested in casual shooting. everytime i buy FMJ ammo he says "but you can't hunt with it". drive me crazy. thinks the only time you should use a gun is when your going hunting. target practice and plinking is just a waste of money. maybe thats whyso far all my deer tags have gone unfilled....
it'll be easier now that i have my drivers licence and my own car. also i 'm not even going to try to bring a pistol into the house. one of the local shops does storage andi'll keep it there. a pain in the butt, but better than starting an argument. a buddy of mine got divorced and he had a large and valuable collection, so he just transfered the registration to me and she couldn't touch them. after everyting was finalized i transfered them back. :grin:
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 01:51:07 AM »
Quote from: kevin.303
a buddy of mine got divorced and he had a large and valuable collection, so he just transfered the registration to me and she couldn't touch them. after everyting was finalized i transfered them back.
That sound like what jh45gun do, say Dali Llama. :-)

Offline magooch

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 04:17:32 AM »
My wife of nearly 40 years had her concealed carry permit before I got mine--nuff said.
Swingem

Offline Blackhawk5

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2005, 11:25:30 AM »
My wife of 13 years does not mind the guns I have because her and her sisters all grew up around guns and hunting and shooting. Most guns I buy are bought with money I have saved up.

Jeff

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 11:57:12 AM »
She figures that guns are a better pastime for me that ...gambling, tobacco, alcohol or other women....I only indulge in the guns..

She doesn't complain about my guns....I overlook the extra bins + bins of colorful yarns she has...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jrdudas

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 04:30:49 AM »
I realize that this is an older thread, but I found it interesting and thought I'd respond.

My wife seems to be "not interested" in guns and the shooting sports.  I owned guns when we got married and she has always known that they were safely stowed away.  Now that the kids are out on their own I have become more interested in the shooting sports again, specifically Cowboy shooting.  For last Christmas my wife agreed that I could buy the SxS shotgun for CAS and for my last birthday she agreed that I buy my SA pistols.  Her only stipulation was that she did not want to be involved in picking out what I wanted.  That was fine with me since I had already decided what I wanted.  

I have found the CAS participants to be quite friendly and helpful and I hope that some day my wife will show an interest in the sport.  When Ohio first passed the CCW law I overheard her tell someone that she didn't know whether she would get a permit or not.  We haven't really discussed that possiblity since I get the feeling that "the least said the better" when it comes to guns.  Of course, the down side to my wife getting involved with the shooting sports is that she will then be able to tell the different guns apart.  Hence, sneaking in a new one will be more difficult.

JR

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 04:50:50 AM »
8)  8) My wife of over 40 years has no problem with me purchasing firearms.  Matter of fact, she has bought 10-12 for me over the years.  While stationed at Bitburg Germany back in 70-72, she came home one afternoon and told be to get dressed, we are going to look at some guns.  I asked what kind of guns, she said, "someone has an ad on the bulletin board with two Sakos and a Savage Shotgun for sale.  I didn't really want to go, but she insisted.  I bought a Sako .222, .243 and savage pump .410 shotgun for $300.  The .243 and Savage were new in the box, the .222 had been fired a few times and had some stock work done by a german gunsmith.  After that, when she says lets go, I get my hat.

She has also bought several for herself. :roll:  :roll:

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 01:46:20 PM »
My wife doesn't care to hunt or shoot for fun.  Although she supports my son and I who both hunt and shoot competitively.  She is however a good shot and can handle a pistol or revolver.  She understands the need to be armed for protection at home and out in certain situations.

I don't really buy very many guns so theres no problem bringing in a new rifle.  Got most hunting and shooting situations covered already.  About all I do now is every other year or so I pickup a project rifle and work/reload on/for it till I get it to the best shape I think it will attain then start the process over again with a new project.
    Ray

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 03:01:28 PM »
Great thread

Well, it looks like alot of guys here may worry about their wives views on guns.

Here is my take on the matter-----My wife will buy into the leftist gun kontrol bs that the media spews out, yet she does not bish about my armory. So I guess I cant complain.

Here is a final thought for yall----I "could" live the rest of my life without a wife if forced to. But not guns. I will always have my guns untill the day I die, regardless of the laws. Period.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 05:05:48 PM »
Although she doesn't shoot often..she's OK with me doing it...and teaching all our grandchildren to shoot/hunt
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 04:41:21 PM »
My wife is cool with me owning guns, although she doesn't understand why one gun can't do every thing. I have tried many times to explain it to her, but she really doesn't want to know. She doesn't see the need to hunt, but she sure does enjoy eating the game I bring home (as long as I do the cooking!). She loved the idea of having a gun safe, so much so that she actually just paid for our second one. I have to share this one with her jewelry and cameras, but there's still room for more guns. :grin:  What she doesn't agree with too well is why I have three trucks and a jeep. I guess I'm gonna have a tough battle convincing her that I absolutely, positively, GOTTA have a quad! (and another trailer to haul it in).  Men and their toys...Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline mrlizzzard

• Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 05:56:29 PM »
Mine didn't mind guns she thought they were ok and should be regulated.She no longer thinks that.As  a voter and citizen she now sees the reason for the second amendment and would argue til death against registration.She gets more attractive every day to me.