Author Topic: .40 S&W  (Read 987 times)

Offline HARD-CORE

• Trade Count: (0)
.40 S&W
« on: February 05, 2003, 02:50:17 AM »
HEY GUYS,

I JUST GOT A NEW GLOCK 23 IN .40 S&W, AND IM NOT SURE WHICH BRAND OF BULLET TO TRY FOR SELF DEFENSE.  I WAS READING AN ARTICLE ON THE REM. GOLDEN SABER AND THEY SEEM  LIKE THEY WOULD BE A GOOD CHOICE.  WHAT DO YOU THINK?
      ALSO YESTERDAY I WENT TO WALLY WORLD AND GOT A GOOD BUY ON SOME WHITE BOXED WINCHESTER'S IN 180 GRAIN FMJ. AT ONLY $8.86 A BOX SO I THINK IM GOING TO USE THESE FOR PLINKING AND USE THE GOOD STUFF FOR CARRYING.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

HARD CORE

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
.40 S&W
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 03:16:41 AM »
The Golden Saber is a good bet.  You may also want to look at Winchester Silvertip HP 155gr.  That's what I was issued by my department, so I use them in both my Glock and Kahr.  

Maybe it's just me, but I think the heavier bullets in the whitebox 180 FMJ comes pretty close to approximating the felt recoil of the warmer, lighter bullet loads (which I prefer for stopping two legged critters), and use them for practice all the time.  And in reality, you'd be well served with the cheap whitebox 180 FMJ in a pinch if the fecal matter is liberally applied to the rapidly revolving blades of the electro-mechanical cooling device.

That's what I think.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline HARD-CORE

.40 S&W
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 04:43:14 AM »
MAINSPRING,

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.  THE SILVER TIP AMMO IS ALSO PRETTY GOOD.  I SHOOT THESE FROM MY 2 .357 REVOLVERS,BECAUSE THEY GROUP BEST IN THESE GUNS.   HOW DO THEY GROUP AND CYCLE WITH YOUR GLOCK?

THANKS

HARD CORE

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
.40 S&W
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 03:41:56 AM »
I've never had any problems at all with the STHP.  Of course, I've never had any problem with any ammo in either the Glock or the Kahr.  :wink:  I think that the STHP is very much an unsung champ of defensive handgun ammo.  Even though it doesn't have all of the cool wizzie gizzies of some of the more expensive and popular defensive ammo, it's a proven fight stopper with very reliable expansion and energy transfer qualities.  Presuming that your gun likes the taste of it, I'd say that it's hard to go wrong with a mag (or cylinder) full of STHPs.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?