Author Topic: Ruger 45acp or Springfield GI??  (Read 624 times)

Offline tbmaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ruger 45acp or Springfield GI??
« on: January 27, 2005, 03:55:49 PM »
Looking for a 45 auto.
Main use will be plinking and second use will be home defense.
I like the price range of the Ruger and the Springfield. I was leaning towards the Ruger just because I'm a Ruger fan, now Springfield comes out with a 1911 style 45, which is what I'd prefer. And it comes in at a competitive price.
Anyone handle the GI model?
Any opinions would be helpful, plan on buying in March.
Thanks.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 01:40:53 AM »
I have the Springfield 1911. I got it for about $500 and it shoot extremely good right out of the box. I have great accuracy at 25 yards with it. I played around and changed out a lot of parts with Wilson combat parts to make the gun look nicer and perform even better. But like I said it shot very good right out of the box. I put a 2 piece guide rod, new sear, new skeleton hammer, beavertail, stainless mag well, stainless main spring back, extended stainless slide release and Hogue grips with stainless screws. The gun shot so good I sold my Kimber Stainless II. You won't be disappointed with the Springfield.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Steve 48

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 03:14:30 AM »
Go with the Springfield. You will never be sorry for that decision. Steve 48

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 09:36:53 AM »
I have both. Springfield GI in full size and Champion version. Both shot really good out of the box with no failures of any kind. Just picked up the Ruger P345 last week and have about 75 rounds through it. No problems at all so far. Doesn't seem quite as accurate as the Springfields, but could just be me getting used to the different trigger. It does come with two mags where the GI spec comes with one. My Springfields work with original mag, Chip McCormick Shooting Star, and some excess military mags I picked up cheap. The Champion sometimes will not lock the slide back on the Chip McCormick mag. I don't think you can go wrong with either. My other Rugers (9mm and .40 S&W) have been totally dependable also. Get what makes you happy.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline tbmaker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 04:14:42 PM »
Thanks.
I'm leaning hard to the GI. I've always wanted a 1911 style pistol both for history sake and design. I shoot a 45-70 and 45 colt also. Hard to beat some original ideas.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 11:28:53 AM »
Unless you are into staying as close to historical correctness as possible, stay away from a mil-spec 1911. By the time you replace the parts that you will want to replace to make a shooter out of it, you could have bought the Springfield loaded model with all the features you want in the first place. It will most likely be cheaper to boot. I don't have a Springfield among my 1911s, but have heard good things about them. You can never go wrong with a Ruger. It's a lot of gun for the money!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,